Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotland V Republic of Ireland - Friday, 14th November 2014 - Euro 2016 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts

Scotland V Republic of Ireland - Friday, 14th November 2014 - Euro 2016 Qualifier

All conventional tactics will go out the window in Glasgow, according to Gordon Strachan: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30668223.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Strachan
    It'll be a British [sic] Cup tie type thing. Neither of us will be too interested in who wins the possession, put it that way.

There'll be analysts telling us at half-time how many passes each team had. They'll be like 'You've had 452 passes, you're going great' so the lads can keep passing. No, Martin and I will feel the same about it. If the players feel fatigued, they can have a day off.

Martin, like me, doesn't over-think football. We generally leave it to the players. We give them an idea of how to play and then let them get on with it.
    Meanwhile, James McCarthy sounds like he's relishing the prospect of facing some Scots: https://twitter.com/JMcCarthy_16/sta...09059056906241

Quote Originally Posted by James McCarthy
    What a result last night from the boys @FAIreland Congrats to sheazy on the 100th cap. #BringOnTheScots
    I'd initially thought the FAI had received 5,000 applications for their allocation of 3,600 tickets, but I read an article today in which the FAI stated they'd actually received closer to 10,000 applications. Quite a lot of supporters, including myself, have already snapped up home section tickets so there should be plenty of Irish support all around the ground.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Well, this is a fixture we can get a result from. Score-draw most likely, but unsurprised by 0-0 as stated elsewhere!

Though they must be due a home victory v. us. Happy with 3 points though from our two fixtures v.them.
    Here, being a lifelong Tim would be sweet...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Though they must be due a home victory v. us.
    you really do struggle with probability theory, don't you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Paul should give him some classes.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    That James McCarthy tweet is quite inspiring. 'Bring on the Scots' sounds like a third persons reference by James, ignoring he himself was born.

I feel that it'll be a huge occasion for himself and McGeady. Playing in the stadium of a club formed by the Irish immigrants of Glasgow for Ireland against their country of birth. Awesome stuff.

Amazing what the result on *Tuesday has done. The footballing support of Ireland appears to be wishing the next month away. Previously, the month before an away qualifier could never be long enough for some.

I'm definitely looking forward to it. The goal on *Tuesday has instilled the belief we need to fuel the passion and fight (that sounds terribly corny but my point stands).
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 18/10/2014 at 8:28 AM.

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,688 Posts
    Who played on Monday?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Oh dear God! It must have been a longer week than usual..

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Why the (sic) in the original statement?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Reserves
    Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt & everywhere in between
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Why the (sic) in the original statement?
    "British Cup tie"- Ireland isn't part of Britian
    "U've figured how to work the Google on the internet machine"

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    I figured something like that. I'm a stickler for sic. That is incorrectly used and actually deserves an *. (Plus a footnote.)
    Sorry, but it's true.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He did say "type" to be fair. Strachan's not an ignorant man - he wouldn't call Ireland British. The [sic] is incorrect for me.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    That James McCarthy tweet is quite inspiring. 'Bring on the Scots' sounds like a third persons reference by James, ignoring he himself was born.

I feel that it'll be a huge occasion for himself and McGeady. Playing in the stadium of a club formed by the Irish immigrants of Glasgow for Ireland against their country of birth. Awesome stuff.

Amazing what the result on Monday has done. The footballing support of Ireland appears to be wishing the next month away. Previously, the month before an away qualifier could never be long enough for some.

I'm definitely looking forward to it. The goal on Monday has instilled the belief we need to fuel the passion and fight (that sounds terribly corny but my point stands).
    Too right. A cannae wait!

I really warmed to McCarthy's tweet too; he sees himself as one of us and not as one of them. It will be a massively proud occasion for the McCarthy/Coyle and McGeady families.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    He did say "type" to be fair. Strachan's not an ignorant man - he wouldn't call Ireland British. The [sic] is incorrect for me.
    I was being a bit rebellious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    It's too late in the sentence though Charlie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    I figured something like that. I'm a stickler for sic. That is incorrectly used and actually deserves an *. (Plus a footnote.)
    Sorry, but it's true.
    Eh?... I used it in a humourously derisive sort of sense. Either way, why would it require a footnote? And why would it be too late in the sentence? Sic can be inserted anywhere within a body of quoted text to indicate that the particular word or phrase immediately preceding it is transcribed exactly as it was originally found despite the word or phrase being considered by the transcriber to be, in some form or another, erroneous or suspect. To be more clear, I, the transcriber, was cheekily ridiculing Strachan's declaration that we'd be involved in a British cup tie type thing. Why? Because we're not a British outfit. However, as Charlie points out, Strachan is an astute man and he did say "type", so it's not really that big a deal. Maybe Gordon was being a bit cheeky himself!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Eh?... I used it in a humourously derisive sort of sense. Either way, why would it require a footnote? And why would it be too late in the sentence? Sic can be inserted anywhere within a body of quoted text to indicate that the particular word or phrase immediately preceding it is transcribed exactly as it was originally found despite the word or phrase being considered by the transcriber to be, in some form or another, erroneous or suspect. To be more clear, I, the transcriber, was cheekily ridiculing Strachan's declaration that we'd be involved in a British cup tie type thing. Why? Because we're not a British outfit. However, as Charlie points out, Strachan is an astute man and he did say "type", so it's not really that big a deal. Maybe Gordon was being a bit cheeky himself!
    Did you insert the [sic]? Sorry, I assumed it was from the article. I think Crosby was saying Strachan said "type" too late.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    After watching the highlights of the pole scot game. Scots looked decent at times. Hutton had a nightmare at right back and it's an area we should look to target. On the wide left they are dangerous with anya, so we will need Coleman fit and forcing anya back.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    we will need Coleman fit and forcing Anya back.
    They'll probably know each other, each being from Donegal.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    After watching the highlights of the pole scot game. Scots looked decent at times. Hutton had a nightmare at right back and it's an area we should look to target. On the wide left they are dangerous with anya, so we will need Coleman fit and forcing anya back.
    The scottish back 4 v Poland was

Hutton --- Greer ------ (R) Martin --- Whittaker

-----------------Long/Keane------------------

McClean ------- Hoolahan ------- McGeady

That' a back 4 we should be making hay against. I reckon there is potential for trouble with McClean and Hutton. Hutton's a vicious b'tard at the best of times and a geat wind-up merchant. McClean's a hot-head, and if he can be lucky to stay on the pitch against Gibraltar then he's bound to be in trouble against that pleb. McGeady could really turn the screw on either side.

I've seen a bit of Greer for Brighton and I just can't believe he's playing cb for them. Added to Russell MArtin there are goals for us there. They'll be susceptible to balls on the deck, in bhnind them, and a bit of pace. Even if Hanley comes back into the team (assuming he's injured?) I don't think it changes much.

It's in midfield where it'll be won or lost. If Darren Fletcher is fully fit again, I just cannot see him being left out, most likely at the expense of James Morrison, a player I really like, and I think he' the ability to hurt us. Scott Brown is decent, but truth be told, I see him potentially a weak link for them, and I wouldn't have him in our team ahead of Whelan, Gibson or McCarthy. It's likely - all things considered - that Naismith will occupy the area just off the striker, and how we cope with that intricacy will decide the tie (probably). He was never a world beater, but he has become crucial to both Everton and Scotland, and it's testament to both the player himself and Martinez that he's developed into the cog that he's become.

There is an aspect of our play that I struggle to come to terms with, always under Trap, but continued with under O'Neill - that we cede possession to so many teams so easily, and we seemingly set up our team for when the opposition has the ball, rather than for when have possession. Obviously it is early days in the tenure, and they've had one impossibly tough assignment to the world champions. I'm a big fan of Whelan in how we set up presently, but in a system whereby we maximise the players at our disposal in an offensive manner, then I think Whelan becomes slightly surplus to requirements.

There are few better holding midfielders in Britain than McCarthy, but he excels in a system of 3 whereby there are two sitters, with one of the two allowed progress if the situation demands it. I'd expect Scotland will play two natural midfielders in Brown and Fletcher, in which case we'll almost certainly be handing the initiative to them if we pick both Whelan and McCarthy to sit. So I think that is one riddle O'Neill has to work out.

Full-back is going to be crucial too, because they are decent going forward. Anya isn't a great technician (I don't think so anyway) and is definitely weak tracking back, but man is he quick. Maloney is very inconsistent, but he has the potential to hurt, and is a bit magic close to the box on set-pieces too. I'd pray to St ANthony that Coleman is fit. I think defensively Ward was excellent against Germany, and what stood out is that defensively he kept it simple. He held his line excellently, kept the body open enough for the slide-pass behind without getting caught ball-watching, made proper tackles and interceptions and cleared his lines properly. From a defensive point of view, it was almost flawless.

Scotland could line up like

-------------------Gordon ---------------
    Hutton--- Greer/Hanley -- Martin---Whittaker
    Maloney ---- Brown -- Fletcher ----- Anya
    -----------------Naismith----------------
    -----------------Fletcher-----------------

If we were to line up below, I think we've a great chance of taking three points.
    ----------------Forde--------------------
    Coleman----OShea---Wilson-----Ward
    McGeady --McCarthy-Gibson -- McClean
    ---------------Hoolahan-----------------
    --------------Keane/Long---------------
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

25. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Finding it hard to disagree with any of that, Kingdom.

Some on here have this tendency to highlight a deemed inferiority to the Scots. I'm looking at those two 11's and the only 3 players in the Scottish side that would force their way into the Irish side are Fletcher, Gordon and Naismith, as far as I'm concerned.

Looking at that Ireland team I really hope that Long puts in a good month at Southampton. Starting Long allows us to start Hoolahan (I think MO'N would only play Quinn/Keane or Hoolahan/Long). By deduction, if Long makes a very strong case for selection over the course of the next month then it would be difficult not to start Hoolahan in tandem with him. Given how weak the Scottish back four looks, there's no reason why a PL player like Long can't expose those very Championship-level players. The same could maybe be said of Robbie but Ken Earley made a good point in that having 10 players and Keane in the blood and thunder environment that Celtic Park will likely be will put Ireland at a disadvantage when compared to playing 11 players. Not to disparage Keane too much, but I feel his Germany performance is all too indicative of the level he will achieve against Scotland/Germany/Poland in this campaign.

It is also hugely positive that players who have been in and out of their clubs sides will return to their clubs rejuvenated. I'm referring to McClean, Ward and Hendrick, primarily. Hoolahan could also do with a bit of game time in a central position at Norwich. If that momentum can keep running for the next month then prospects of a win against Scotland will be stronger.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 18/10/2014 at 10:45 AM.

27. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,688 Posts
    The Scots might pick the young Hull guy Robetyson at left back. He looks Lacey going forward but lacks experience.

I agree we can really look to get at their defence though. Whoever starts upfront McClean, McGeady and Hoolahan can all look to have plenty of involvement

I have a feeling Walters will be dropped to restore McGeady to his best position, but he is likely to pick Quinn over Hoolahan.

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast