Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotland V Republic of Ireland - Friday, 14th November 2014 - Euro 2016 Qualifier

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Nor you mine...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    No, you clearly didn't get the joke he made. Anyway, no point going down this road.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Er, I did. Just responded with one of my own...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Oh, ok. That was really funny.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    No, you clearly didn't get the joke he made. Anyway, no point going down this road.
    Who can say where the road goes, where the day flows? Only time.

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Agree that the Scotland back 4 looks weak'ish and certainly we should be looking to exploit it where we can. I don't think however that we can dismiss the experience the likes of Hutton and Whitaker bring to the table (and I agree with the point that if McLean were to play against Hutton that could be yellow/red card just waiting to happen), not to mention a more than decent keeper in McGregor. They will be looking at Ward as a weak link and possibly Coleman leaving holes should he venture forward.

Scott Brown seems to have been fairly easily dismissed in the posts above but I wouldn't be so dismissive. In his earlier years at Celtic, I was no fan of his but in more recent times he has matured, he is obviously very tenacious in the tackle, has a great engine on him and is not short of a bit of skill either. He appears to be putting the recent injury issues behind him and although I didn't see the last two Scotland games, the match reports seem to confirm that he was a central part, particularly in Poland.
    Not sure who our midfield will be made up of but the likes of Whelan, Gibson, Quinn etc.. would be up against a very tough opponent. I'd probably like McCarthy in there as his opposite number - for athleticism alone but obviously James brings all his other qualities to the show as well.

Maloney - Haven't seen him play this season but I don't think, if he was Irish, he would be so easily dismissed for a starting spot in place of McLean either and if he was, it would be marginal

None of the above is not to say that we shouldn't be confident of going to Hampden and getting 3 points or certainly 1 point but Scotland have already got a point out in Poland, were arguably unlucky not to get one in Germany and they will also be confident of getting the result.

I don't like it as Ireland fans when we get a bit too confident......
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,687 Posts
    Yep, fair points. I think Brown has been criticised here before but I think he's got presence, especially in the standard of game we'll both be playing.

Maloney is a tricky player and a great set piece taker. I'm surprised he only has a handful of Scotland goals (3?). Naismith too.

I think that they are a well balanced team too.

But the point is still that regardless of their good form. I think we can win this one. It's not over confidence, it's self-belief.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    If I were a Scottish fan I'd be more envious.

You look at our team and they've got nobody in the class of Coleman or McCarthy.

Add in Keane and Long....

I rate their keeper but other than that there isn't anything within their side that is superior to our starting 11. Not saying we are any great shakes but I'm confident we can get a result up there.

Wales would be different of course. Bale, Ramsey and Williams would stroll into our team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    I wouldn't write Brown off either. Don't forget he has loads of experience at European level too.

Player for player, we've a better starting XI, but Scotland have had a better "team" since Strachan was appointed. It will be an interesting game.

I keep thinking back to when Souness took his Blackburn side to Celtic Park in the UEFA Cup, he came out seperately to the team to take the brunt of the abuse from the crowd (because he's Souness) and this took the focus of the crowd off the players. Wonder if MON or Keane have considered something similar for the qualifier in a few weeks?
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 21/10/2014 at 3:33 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't think anybody is writing him off, but I think he gets more credit than he's due. He's a leader alright and a hard worker with a decent touch, but talent-wise I wouldn't have him ahead of McArthur for them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I don't think anybody is writing him off, but I think he gets more credit than he's due. He's a leader alright and a hard worker with a decent touch, but talent-wise I wouldn't have him ahead of McArthur for them.
    Not sure I agree with that but even if it was the case, I'd have Brown ahead of Whelan, Quinn and possibly Gibson (based on form/influence to date for Ireland) in our team. Hendrick has looked good but still doesn't have anywhere near the experience that Brown has. Anyway, I suppose the point has been laboured, I don't think he's the world's best or anything but the central midfield battle will be fairly evenly matched I'd imagine.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Who was writing off Brown?
    I said he was still off his pace after his return from injury, when i watched him a few games back.
    That's not writing him off.
    Shove it Junior!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,687 Posts
    In fairness to junior there have been a few on here in the last while saying Brown isn't up to much. I think he'd have been a mainstay in our team for years tbh.

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    In fairness to junior there have been a few on here in the last while saying Brown isn't up to much. I think he'd have been a mainstay in our team for years tbh.
    There's always one ..... Kingdom -- (on this thread).

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    His injury and disciplinary record have also been a factor. Hard to say how good he is in absolute terms, but in recent times when he hasn't played, Celtic have struggled without him.

Junior been bang on with his comments in this thread, but won't praise further, on the basis it might offend Fly...
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 21/10/2014 at 11:36 PM.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Cyrus Christie will scare the Scots blind.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WexCar View Post
    "British Cup tie"- Ireland isn't part of Britian[sic]
    Sic, correctly used?
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

25. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    There's a lot of assumptions both teams will have their strongest sides out.
    Even if MO'N/we knew ours for sure, doubt it would find universal favour and Alba are at home, where I can't see them rolling over to far better teams than us, so still a draw for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    What does Alba mean?
    There was some Elvis Presley fest in Hacketstown last weekend according to the belated Irish news I saw on PBS. Any of you attend? I could see Nigel Harps in his Elvis costume.

28. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast