Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bring back Winter Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Winter Football!? It's that and more out in Bray tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    It has been slashing it down in Derry since half 5. Walking around since 1 and I've changed my socks and shoes twice today already.
    Winter football, really?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,529 Posts
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,393 Posts
    Macy has it in a nutshell. 6,200 in Cork tonight, could there have been an extra 1,000 on top of that at the end of May?

Would there have been an extra 1,000 in Bray tonight in May?

Wouldn't a cup final be a much more attractive family day out in the summer?

No, we prefer to end the season in the muck.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Macy has it in a nutshell. 6,200 in Cork tonight, could there have been an extra 1,000 on top of that at the end of May?

Would there have been an extra 1,000 in Bray tonight in May?

Wouldn't a cup final be a much more attractive family day out in the summer?

No, we prefer to end the season in the muck.
    So you're using the possible fact people may have stayed away from a winter football match as an argument in favour of winter football increasing attendances?
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 17/10/2014 at 10:46 PM.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Ye LoI family folk will have to excuse my GAA references but to be expected so cool beans. The GAA are planning to have the All-Ireland club championships end at the beginning of December so that they are concluded within the calendar year.

I suppose not really my place to comment on LoI affairs when Kerry is outside of the LoI footballing community. I enjoyed the game in Thomond Park tonight. It's a pity there's not another few weeks of action before December. Hard to know what the solution is. The Europa League Qualifiers tend to be the beginning of July. I think that would be the appropriate time to start the season. Play up until the first or second week of December as the UEFA competitions do. Have a two month break and start up then around the middle of February. End the season then at the end of April - early May time.

Comparison of now and suggested:
    # Now ...... Suggested
    1. March .... July
    2. April ..... August
    3. May ..... September
    4. June .... October
    5. July ..... November
    6. August .... December/February
    7. September .... March
    8. October .... April

Having two month breaks at different times probably isn't great though. Hard to know what the solution is. Should the league finish later than now?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    After last night in Bray, no thanks.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,529 Posts
    It was superb entertainment on TV anyway.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Clubs strugle to get fans to go to games on a bright sunny night so how the hell are they going to attract crowds on a cold, dark & wet night.

Also if they are going to midweek games they will clash with premier league, champions league etc but at least with summer soccer FAI can fix midweeks games durning summer months so they wont clash with games on TV.

Summer soccer is not the problem, Some clubs are using this an excuse for have a poor Marketing plan to promoting their games.

How many clubs attendances have droped due to summer soccer?
    Last edited by Trainee; 18/10/2014 at 11:21 AM.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I wouldn't say summer soccer is a problem but is there a need for it? If people want to go to games they'll go. GAA junior and intermediate club championships at provincial and all-Ireland level are getting crowds in December, January and February. I've been to Thomond Park for a number of games on St. Stephen's Day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I live up the mountains - we barely had frost last winter!

You keep saying this, so I'll keep pointing out, that senior football playing to a different calendar, doesn't exactly help! How would a pyramid work? Top Intermediate Team gains promotion to Senior football in May. They then can't play football again until the following March! Even if an ambitious team enters a team in the leagues own U19 league, and decides to apply to join the first - they'll either have to leave the U19 league midseason, or have a significant period without football.

It's not the primary issue for a lack of integration, but do we only want integration on our terms? It really puts a practical roadblock in the way that everyone can hide behind, if nothing else.
    When the League of Ireland season was a winter one we had no integration / cooperation so what's changed to make it any different now ?
    And whats this about integration on our terms ?
    Where there's a will there's a way but the problem is there is no will with those who control the FAI to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    Agreed, but we'll never but the SFAI and the other bodies under the FAI banner have no interest in that. I don't know you would ever force them into doing anything.
    This is it in a nutshell.
    Those in control have no interest in changing anything.
    There's no way to force anyone to do anything they don't want but they won't even sit down & talk about it.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I find it amusing that most of those who want winter Soccer support clubs who couldn't rent a crowd or from those who don't go to the games anyway.
    On poster has asked "How can we have integration when the League of Ireland plays in the Summer & everyone else plays in the Winter ?
    When everyone played in the Winter we didn't have any form of integration then so what would have changed if the League of Ireland went back to a Winter season now?
    Nothing.
    Its just another excuse not to grasp the nettle & deal with the problems.

Another poster has hit the nail on the head when he says that the SFAI aren't interested in any form of integration.

The question still remains.
    What advantages would there be if the League of Ireland went back to a Winter season ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    I find it amusing that most of those who want winter Soccer support clubs who couldn't rent a crowd or from those who don't go to the games anyway.
    On poster has asked "How can we have integration when the League of Ireland plays in the Summer & everyone else plays in the Winter ?
    When everyone played in the Winter we didn't have any form of integration then so what would have changed if the League of Ireland went back to a Winter season now?
    Nothing.
    Its just another excuse not to grasp the nettle & deal with the problems.

Another poster has hit the nail on the head when he says that the SFAI aren't interested in any form of integration.

The question still remains.
    What advantages would there be if the League of Ireland went back to a Winter season ?
    There aren't any obvious ones that I can see. Disadvantages, yes. The way the weather has gone in recent years would play havoc with the league and inevitably with finances. I'd also expect European results to disimprove.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    LoI clubs are comfortable enough getting through Europa League Q1. The weekend before Q2 in July would be time enough to start the league.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    LoI clubs are comfortable enough getting through Europa League Q1. The weekend before Q2 in July would be time enough to start the league.
    We could start the league whenever we want. We could start it in June or in May and still have winter football. The question is why is it a good idea?

The football season was originally devised it was a sport that could be played outside of the cricket season, which had to be during the summer months. If we were a serious cricket-playing nation, I could maybe see the argument for winter football, but we're not and apart from Peader I doubt there'll be many of us kitting out for our local cricket teams on the off-season if we switch back.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 19/10/2014 at 12:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I have respect for the league that they gave summer soccer a go. There's only 4 clubs any season in Europe. I don't think crowds are different one way or the other. If grounds only have a game every two weeks, the pitches should be alright during the winter. There could be a return of the high attendances for St. Stephen's Day and New Year's Day matches, and then a mini winter break. Is there any discussions within the league about this or are the majority happy enough with the status quo?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    I have respect for the league that they gave summer soccer a go. There's only 4 clubs any season in Europe. I don't think crowds are different one way or the other. If grounds only have a game every two weeks, the pitches should be alright during the winter. There could be a return of the high attendances for St. Stephen's Day and New Year's Day matches, and then a mini winter break. Is there any discussions within the league about this or are the majority happy enough with the status quo?
    I don't think there's any great hunger among the League clubs to go back to Winter football simply because they can't see any good reason to do so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Whatever about anything else the half winter season with a two month break (!!) suggested above is untenable. It'd be impossible for clubs and players to manage financially through the break. And starting the season in early July to be up and running for Europe doesn't make sense either, the Euro benefit of summer football is that your squad is bedded in and playing together for 10, 15, 20 games, not 1 or 2.
    Last edited by seand; 20/10/2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    People are saying we need to change to winter football to avoid Gaa but their are no GAA games on friday night & their are nt too many clashes with GAA on saturday nights eg, how many games had Sligo, Longford etc had clash with GAA games.

If we go back to winter we will have clashes with Rubgy games so Galway, Limerick, cork for odd game that is played in cork & some of dublin clubs will have clashes with PRO 12 games.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    833 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainee View Post
    People are saying we need to change to winter football to avoid Gaa but their are no GAA games on friday night & their are nt too many clashes with GAA on saturday nights eg, how many games had Sligo, Longford etc had clash with GAA games.

If we go back to winter we will have clashes with Rubgy games so Galway, Limerick, cork for odd game that is played in cork & some of dublin clubs will have clashes with PRO 12 games.
    Fair point, we've only had to move 1 game in the last few years due to county GAA but it's actually the local club championship and underage GAH matches that effect our attendances more than anything else. During the winter youl have to compete with the premiership in England but if played on a Friday night that would rule that out so Id prefer a return to winter football but only if clubs could guarantee pitch quality and that's never going to happen unfortunately

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast