Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bring back Winter Football

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    We changed to summer football for a variety for a variety of reasons that basically failed to materialise. Crowds didn't really improve, the standard of football didn't really improve, and it's very difficult to say that European performances have benefited. I've always thought that was more to do with budgets than anything else.

If we changed back again, I'd expect none of those things to change either. The issue of crowds, standard of football and European performances aren't going to be linked significantly to either summer or winter football.

We just need more money.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Definitely haven't had milder winters. The last two seasons playing junior soccer have been a write off from mid November till mid February. Most teams actually went longer during those months without a game than the actual off season.

Shorter LOL off season needs to come in though. In junior the season ends in may or sometimes even the start of June and is back in August. 4 months in the league of Ireland is too long and I don't think it's done anywhere else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,359 Posts
    Looking at it another way, wouldn't it be nicer to end the season coming into the summer?

Pitches rest for the summer. Greater growth for the winter leading to them being better prepared for winter football.

Coming into winter isn't an ideal way to end the season, cup final, climax to season, all played on cold, damp wet days.

Cup final in May, league climax in May, play-offs in May.

I miss winter football. It was more fun then. Something about the feeling of coming away from a match trying to thaw out your toes from the frosty weather just stuck with me since childhood. Great memories.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I am of the opinion that summer soccer has benefits which winter soccer don't bring.I have already stated those earlier.
    BUT Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, it won't matter when the game is played unless we tackle the fundamental problems of the game.
    We need an integrated pyramid system in this country.
    Otherwise the various leagues will remain separate with no cooperation or connection between them other than the blazers at the FAI agm.
    If those in charge of our game don't grasp this fact those of us still around in twenty years will still be discussing this all over again.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,359 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    I am of the opinion that summer soccer has benefits which winter soccer don't bring.I have already stated those earlier.
    BUT Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, it won't matter when the game is played unless we tackle the fundamental problems of the game.
    Otherwise the various leagues will remain separate with no cooperation or connection between them other than the blazers at the FAI agm.
    If those in charge of our game don't grasp this fact those of us still around in twenty years will still be discussing this all over again.
    There's as much hope of us playing on the moon to be honest.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Definitely haven't had milder winters. The last two seasons playing junior soccer have been a write off from mid November till mid February. Most teams actually went longer during those months without a game than the actual off season.
    I live up the mountains - we barely had frost last winter!

Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled
    You keep saying this, so I'll keep pointing out, that senior football playing to a different calendar, doesn't exactly help! How would a pyramid work? Top Intermediate Team gains promotion to Senior football in May. They then can't play football again until the following March! Even if an ambitious team enters a team in the leagues own U19 league, and decides to apply to join the first - they'll either have to leave the U19 league midseason, or have a significant period without football.

It's not the primary issue for a lack of integration, but do we only want integration on our terms? It really puts a practical roadblock in the way that everyone can hide behind, if nothing else.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    Agreed, but we'll never but the SFAI and the other bodies under the FAI banner have no interest in that. I don't know you would ever force them into doing anything.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    It wasn't because of frost games kept getting called off because last year wasn't that cold. It was the torrential rain that kept falling flooding pitches. If a game managed to get played one week it was most definitely called off the following week. We have a very good pitch also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    I wouldnt be in favour of switching back. People would still find excuses not to go, too cold, xmas holidays, then we'd have the cancellation threat of games with possible frozen and waterlogged pitches. Also someone above mentioned the mild winters we had, that wont last forever.

It is nice watching matches under lights when its dark, but I also like leaving a match in April - Aug when its bright.

Would much prefer a set up change to the league than season, and go with one single division, 16 teams maybe, home and away twice, 30 games, keep it simple and open up senior football to more parts of the country. We could still have a relegation system in place to non leagues.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    We could still have a relegation system in place to non leagues.
    How would it work, without League of Ireland switching back to a winter season, or forcing everyone else to move to a summer season? A club would be relegated from the league in October, and wouldn't be able to play again until August/ September the following year. The promoted team would be promoted in May, and wouldn't be able to play again until the following March or April.
    Last edited by Macy; 15/10/2014 at 12:51 PM.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    That's a fair point, never thought of that. That would rule out a single senior division for the present time, as I think it's a UEFA requirement now to have promotion/relegation.

Still wouldn't like a return to winter football though.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Would much prefer a set up change to the league than season, and go with one single division, 16 teams maybe, home and away twice, 30 games, keep it simple and open up senior football to more parts of the country. We could still have a relegation system in place to non leagues.
    I agree with that. 16 team Premier Division. Have B teams and all other interested parties in a regionalised north and south second tier. Promote the winner of a north-south play-off with the runners-up taking on the 15th placed Premier team in a play-off. While not everyone agrees with it, in a 16 team division I'd be in favour of an end of season play-off for the final Europa League spot. I'm all for league placing but if there's an agreed end of season competition where certain league places are the qualification criteria, it can be a good test for those with European aspirations. You'll be looking at the league winner, league runner-up, cup winner and play-off winner representing the league in Europe. Anyway all part of a healthy debate whether in agreement or not.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    I preferred winter football, there's just something about the freezing nights under the floodlights with the cup of soup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    The general consensus seems to be that people on here are happy to maintain the status quo. Personally i think football is a winter sport full stop. There are alot more distractions on a summers Friday night in June than there is on a Friday night in December for sporting people. GAA dominates the sporting conscience in this country throughout the Summer months. As already alluded to by a Dundalk fan any lads training and playing with GAA teams have very few free nights in the week to attend LOI games. Whereas these same lads are only tied up on a Sunday morning playingwise during the Winter. Is there a facility on this forum to put up a poll to see what the actual percentages for and against are??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC Blue View Post
    Personally i think football is a winter sport full stop.
    That must be why they play it on the beaches of Brazil...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I love summer football - I wouldn't switch back for anything. The stuff about crowds is a red herring - obviously winter/summer football benefits some clubs' attendances and harms others', i.e. Harps, although this is largely due to the Donegal GAA boom which will cease to be an issue when they return to their natural position. The main and overarching benefit of summer football is the fact it takes place during the summer. It makes for a much better experience for fans, apart from the odd pervert who gets turned on by standing in freezing rain (you know who you are).

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    We need more games played in inclement weather like this.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I see Pat Dolan is in favour of returning to winter football according to his column in The Star. I'd like to officially withdraw any support I may have expressed for winter football now.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

22. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    We need more games played in inclement weather like this.
    Well its definitely to the leagues advantage that we have it for the climax of the season and the cup final, rather than relatively less important mid season games.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    For those looking for a return to Winter soccer - enjoy tonight's games, weather is dire here in Galway right now
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast