Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bring back Winter Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Thanks but no thanks.

There is no logical reason to return to winter football.

Would the attendances improve ? No
    Would the standard of football improve ? No
    Would it be an advantage to our teams playing in Europe ? No
    Would the standard of the pitches improve ? No
    Would the standard of refereeing improve ? Skip that one.

Why then would we want to go back to winter football ?
    We changed for a reason & nothing that has happened since suggests that we should go back.

2. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Well we had it for decades and it happens in junior and intermediate leagues around the country as well as in every one of our near neighbours. So it's certainly possible.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    You'd easily know we're approaching the start of the silly season, when this old chestnut comes up again.
    Silly season, or because it's still a genuine concern for some clubs? It keeps on getting dismissed, but it really hasn't worked for clubs away from the major urban centres. Summer football simply hasn't provided any benefits for a lot of clubs

Even if it is some benefit in Europe, which I still think is debatable, is that really a good enough justification for the entire league to built around 4 clubs individual ambition? What's the benefits for the entire league of European "success"?

It's possible that the "pitches are better in the summer" is a short term thing, given the lack of opportunity to carry out works in the winter vs the traditional summer period to relay pitches, work on drainage etc. It's also an added road block in terms of getting intermediate clubs to step up to senior.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Macy makes good pro-winter points, but....
    Improvements in Euro results aren't really debatable, just look at results up to 2002 v results since 2002
    http://www.rsssf.com/tablesi/ier-ec.html
    Crudely you're looking at an average of something like an aggregate 0.5 rounds progressed per season pre-summer football, 2.5 rounds progressed per season post-summer football. Obviously that's not all down to summer football, but results in Europe are vastly improved. And yeh, it's only an issue for a few clubs a season, but it has to be a key metric. (The key metric?)

and

Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    it really hasn't worked for clubs away from the major urban centres.
    This is an issue certainly, but the vast majority of clubs are in major urban centres. Any thoughts on why it works less well for 'rural' (for want of a better word) clubs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Why should it be a key metric though? It only benefits a few clubs. I don't think it has any real impact on the general perception of the league.

The key metric for me would be that we used to have 22 clubs, now we have 19, and a good few of those are hanging on by their fingernails.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Well we had it for decades and it happens in junior and intermediate leagues around the country as well as in every one of our near neighbours. So it's certainly possible.

Silly season, or because it's still a genuine concern for some clubs? It keeps on getting dismissed, but it really hasn't worked for clubs away from the major urban centres. Summer football simply hasn't provided any benefits for a lot of clubs

Even if it is some benefit in Europe, which I still think is debatable, is that really a good enough justification for the entire league to built around 4 clubs individual ambition? What's the benefits for the entire league of European "success"?

It's possible that the "pitches are better in the summer" is a short term thing, given the lack of opportunity to carry out works in the winter vs the traditional summer period to relay pitches, work on drainage etc. It's also an added road block in terms of getting intermediate clubs to step up to senior.
    Of course its possible to have Winter football but it didn't work & that's the reason why it changed to Summer.
    I would never dismiss anything that has a chance of working but I fail to see a valid reason for going back to something which did not work.

Is Summer the answer to all questions ? No but its a hell of a lot better than where we came from.
    Has it proved to be the answer to all clubs ? No it hasn't but a change in season won't do that either.
    It has brought obvious improvements in better pitches, better standard of play & better conditions for those who wish to attend the matches. It has given teams who qualify for Europe a better chance because of the increased level of fitness.

There is the fundamental problem of trying to get people to support League of Ireland football.
    And therein lies the problem. Moving back to winter football will not do this either so what is the answer ?

People bring up other ideas like moving back to a single league. That didn't work & hense the reason why we moved from it.

The reason none of these ideas has worked is because of the lack of cooperation between all the leagues in this country. There is no continuation in this country.
    In other countries it is possible to go from a village pub team to the top leagues by a process of promotions. It doesn't mean you're going to make it but its possible.
    You can't do that here because the various leagues are at odds with each other & refuse to cooperate with each other in any kind of pyramid league scheme.
    People in positions of power in Soccer leagues in this country fail to see that by improving the overall product that things also improve for their own particular league.
    All they see if thier own little corner, their own little bit of power & anything outside of that is a threat.

There needs to be a fundamental change of thinking on how Soccer is run in this country before we make any sort of worthwhile progress & I know I will be long gone before that ever happens.

To continue the discussion I ask What would be the benefits of going back to Winter football ?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    The reason none of these ideas has worked is because of the lack of cooperation between all the leagues in this country. There is no continuation in this country.
    In other countries it is possible to go from a village pub team to the top leagues by a process of promotions. It doesn't mean you're going to make it but its possible.
    You can't do that here because the various leagues are at odds with each other & refuse to cooperate with each other in any kind of pyramid league scheme.
    People in positions of power in Soccer leagues in this country fail to see that by improving the overall product that things also improve for their own particular league.
    All they see if thier own little corner, their own little bit of power & anything outside of that is a threat.

There needs to be a fundamental change of thinking on how Soccer is run in this country before we make any sort of worthwhile progress & I know I will be long gone before that ever happens.

To continue the discussion I ask What would be the benefits of going back to Winter football ?
    How can we have a workable pyramid, when we have the top leagues working to a different calendar!

Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Obviously that's not all down to summer football, but results in Europe are vastly improved. And yeh, it's only an issue for a few clubs a season, but it has to be a key metric. (The key metric?)
    Not sure why its the key metric. Is europe the be all and end all of the league? What benefits does it bring to the league as a whole rather than just the clubs that progress an extra round?

This is an issue certainly, but the vast majority of clubs are in major urban centres. Any thoughts on why it works less well for 'rural' (for want of a better word) clubs?
    It needs proper analysis. My anecdotal evidence is that there's more other demands on time, and perhaps a more restricted fan base where that impacts more.
    Last edited by Macy; 14/10/2014 at 11:22 AM.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The key metric for me would be that we used to have 22 clubs, now we have 19, and a good few of those are hanging on by their fingernails.
    Clubs hung on by fingernails/went bust whilst operating a winter schedule too. Would changing from summer football ensure or increase the likelihood of the sustainability of a greater number of clubs and, if so, why?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Europe is a key metric because:
    it is one of the very few areas where the league can be compared consistently with it's peers
    it is the pinnacle of Irish club football
    it is an aspiration and goal for most clubs in the league
    relative success *should* help the league financially

I don't get this idea that Europe only affects 4 clubs... surely at least 7 or 8 clubs were aiming to make Europe one way or another this season. Over the past 5 season 8 or 10 clubs- half the league- have played in Europe.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    821 Posts
    Disgruntled has it spot on for me, the winter/summer debate is not the major issue with the league it's the fact there is absolutely no pyramid in place for Irish football and it never looks like there ever will be. The FAI are suppose to be the governing body of football in this country yet haven't control over 99% of the leagues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    How can we have a workable pyramid, when we have the top leagues working to a different calendar!
    When all the leagues were running to the same schedule they still wouldn't cooperate.
    What has changed ? Nothing.
    All I see are people grasping at straws.
    They keep going back to the old failed policies without tackling the fundamental problems.
    We can only tackle the problems when people sit down together, forget their own petty squabbles & jealousies & think why they are there in the first place for the overall good of football.

If you improve the game structure as a whole then it stands to reason that you improve the situation for every member of that structure.

A perfect example of Non Cooperation was when recently Cork City applied for membership of the Munster Senior League where they could give up & coming young players who were too old for the Under 19's some valuable experience & game time.
    They fulfilled all the criteria but their application was refused.
    The reason given was "It would not be in the best interest of the League"

What did the MFA think was going to happen ?
    Were City going to pack their team every week in order to win the league ?

These are the same petty excuses people came up with when Rovers put a team in the 1st Div.
    They're going to pack the team & destroy it for everyone else.
    What happened ? Rovers finished 2nd from bottom of the table.
    So much for destroying it for everyone else.

Again I ask What would be the benefits of going back to Winter football ?

16. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I enjoyed going to games in the winter and our crowds certainly seemed higher in the last season or two of winter football than the following few seasons but I'm not sure how much of that was down to the novelty of Premier Division football. It'll be interesting to compare next season's crowds if we manage to have any kind of a decent start.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    Again I ask What would be the benefits of going back to Winter football ?
    It's the traditional season.
    Crowds have (at the very least) not been positively impacted by a summer season.
    It at least offers the chance of integration with other domestic leagues, and less complications to a cross border competition (either cup or an AIL).

After that, it's anecdotal. And although I've long been proponant of a move back, I have also been pretty consistent in saying it needs proper research as the benefits, and costs, of a move as well as proper research into the effect, if any, that Summer football has had. I don't believe this was done at the time of the move from Winter (or at least no tangibles were identified to allow proper analysis of it's success or otherwise), and I don't think the same mistakes should be made if there was a proposed move back.

If you want the anecdotal evidence, then I've said it several times. Crowds are affected during the summer months, imo, because of the competing demands on leisure time, and extended working times for those in rural locations. I don't believe our actual competitors for leisure time were properly identified at the time of the move. This is based on people who do go to games, not random surveys of people down the pub who wouldn't go anyway. It's the people that have an interest that we should be looking after first and getting to as many games as possible, then worry about attracting new supporters.

I'm still not buying Europe as the be all and end all. Apart from the clubs that make it, some kind of trickle down effect is the best league wide effect. So we base the entire season around 4 or 6 games for 4 clubs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Agree we sleepwalked into the switch to summer, and then into the faaaarce of the IAG. And perhaps therein lies the big issue... a complete lack of planning, coordination, joined-up thinking etc at every level of the game.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    It's the traditional season.
    I think this is fairly immaterial.

Crowds have (at the very least) not been positively impacted by a summer season.
    I don't believe they would be any better switching back, but you are welcome to prove otherwise.

It at least offers the chance of integration with other domestic leagues
    The problems here go far, far beyond the difference between winter and summer schedules. Issues of entry, upward swings in financing and finding any sort of sustaining audience would be more paramount for the minuscule amount of clubs even slightly capable of the step-up.

and less complications to a cross border competition (either cup or an AIL).
    The Setanta Cup looks increasingly like it is on its last legs after years of trying (disparity in quality, costs, lack of interest from the north), and an AIL isn't even on the distant horizon (for obvious reasons). Winter football would change neither of those things.

This all strikes me as a little knee jerk and a quest for a magic bullet. Changing back to winter offers little benefit to justify the effort, in my view.

And if we're going anecdotal, I like summer football. I like the better weather, I like having months without direct competition with the EPL, and I like the impact its had on Euro involvement.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    This all strikes me as a little knee jerk and a quest for a magic bullet. Changing back to winter offers little benefit to justify the effort, in my view.
    The only magic bullet that has ever been suggested is the one we acted on - the move to the Summer season! It was done without proper research and no measurable impacts were given.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    And if we're going anecdotal, I like summer football. I like the better weather, I like having months without direct competition with the EPL, and I like the impact its had on Euro involvement.
    I am saying we shouldn't be doing it anecdotal. Get someone to do proper research, and a proper assessment of the options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I'm with Macy in preferring winter football but wanting proper analysis and research before changing again. Summer football was brought in without that and that was wrong- but that doesn't change the fact we should properly think it through before reverting again. I don't for a second think it'd be a silver budget and agree with the points above about Irish football needing to be vastly better integrated- although how you do that when the senior game is on a different schedule to most other leagues (even the sodding U19 season) is an interesting point. And the LOI clubs are famously self interested, our part of the game is not without guilt on this score.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Clubs hung on by fingernails/went bust whilst operating a winter schedule too. Would changing from summer football ensure or increase the likelihood of the sustainability of a greater number of clubs and, if so, why?
    True, but we never faced the situation of having to have a reserve team to make up the numbers. I'm not suggesting this is strictly related to the season change by the way, I was suggesting it was a more important metric than Euro progress, especially as the latter will always be insignificant compared to that of the leagues we're judged against such as Scotland (mostly Celtic) and England.

I am willing to admit that my own view on this is coloured by my own club's experience. And I know that for the currently stronger clubs the prospect of getting through an extra round in Europe can make a huge difference so of course fans of those clubs like the way things are. But the league is facing an issue it has not done before- that we're running out of clubs. Currently it only impacts the D1 clubs but ultimately it'll affect the league overall. I don't recall a similar situation at any point since the first division was introduced.

What I want (and I've said this many times) is for the FAI to take a bit of responsibility, come up with a strategy and a vision for the senior game and indeed football structures in general and start working towards it. A move back to winter football may or may not be a part of that and it sure as hell won't be easy but currently it seems to me that the league is largely adrift. And that just isn't good enough from the governing body- and the senior game and also the media should be demanding better.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Agree we sleepwalked into the switch to summer, and then into the faaaarce of the IAG. And perhaps therein lies the big issue... a complete lack of planning, coordination, joined-up thinking etc at every level of the game.
    I disagree about moving back to winter football, but I think we shouldn't be fooled into thinking the way football is organised in this country isn't deliberate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    What I want (and I've said this many times) is for the FAI to take a bit of responsibility, come up with a strategy and a vision for the senior game and indeed football structures in general and start working towards it.
    Now you're just being ridiculous........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Just to stick my oar in. I think there should be an open debate on the switch back to winter football. But the debate should include all stakeholders ie clubs, supporters, TV, even the FAI if they bother to care.

The switch to summer football has brought mixed results but is it really comparable to when we played winter football?

But I strongly agree with other that the off season is far too long. I know clubs want an average of a home game every 10 days but I believe that this is very counter productive and infact forces folk to pick and choose games as a result

Personally I would prefer winter footy, especially for games under floodlights.

There is also something unnatural IMO of having our cup final in November.
    Long Live King Kenny

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast