Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyrus Christie D Hull b.1992

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    The natural question is, if Cyrus falls out of favour, how would he feel about being called up to preliminary squads and left out of the final squads? And how would he feel if he was left out of squads?

Would that be a good thing about playing for Ireland?
    why don't you ask him via Twitter and come back to us if you don't like his answer? In the meantime just accept it for what it is.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    The awkward moment when Cyrus Christie realises Seamie Coleman is shortlisted for the Ballon d'Or and Jon Flanagan is England's new right back.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Who cares? Why preempt something not remotely on the table at present.

If he resents his initial call up then fine. But that's his prerogative. Kevin Foley did similarly after the Euro squad announcement and he's from Ireland. Is he immune to criticism or is the criticism covering your own xenophobic beliefs about "impure" Irishmen

Edit- always thought he was from Palmerstown. Turns out Luton. Anyway I think your concerns at Christie's motivation are OTT.
    Even the likes of Simon Cox and Paul Green - in a similar boat eligibility-wise and ignorantly maligned by some in terms of their commitment - have never once huffed or thrown their toys out of the pram when they've missed out on the post-preliminary squad refinement. They are always available for (re-)selection, whether they've made earlier squads or not. Why someone's first reaction would be to rhetorically assume with suggestive "questioning" that the case might be any different with Christie, I don't know. So, nothing natural or inevitable about such a question at all; just more silly suspicion and thinly-veiled hostility in order to stir some sh*te...

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    You have come up with a whole new angle to aggravate people. Christie has gone and organised a passport to represent us. He is an Irish player now. Our gain, someone's else's loss IMO. if you are implying that he is somehow a mercenary, he is our mercenary and that is good enough for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    He passes the Gastric Band. Which shows that the band isn't effective mind and that a doctor should be summoned.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    He passes the Gastric Band. Which shows that the band isn't effective mind and that a doctor should be summoned.
    Yes, it is for TOWK and should be summoned straight away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Even the likes of Simon Cox and Paul Green - in a similar boat eligibility-wise and ignorantly maligned by some in terms of their commitment - have never once huffed or thrown their toys out of the pram when they've missed out on the post-preliminary squad refinement. They are always available for (re-)selection, whether they've made earlier squads or not. Why someone's first reaction would be to rhetorically assume with suggestive "questioning" that the case might be any different with Christie, I don't know. So, nothing natural or inevitable about such a question at all; just more silly suspicion and thinly-veiled hostility in order to stir some sh*te...
    There we go with the belligerence again.

Christie said a major part of his reasoning to declare for Ireland was that there wasn't many players ahead of him in the pecking order, he had a great chance of game time and he has been fast tracked into a competitive squad. He emphasised this, not me. Simon Cox and Paul Green didn't emphasise this when they were selected so I have no clue why you are bringing them up other than to "stir some ****e" as you eloquently put it.

It seemed a valid hypothesis on my part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    If he was originally struggling with the pronunciations of Kildare, Clontarf and North Wall, I wouldn't like to hear his stab at Muckanaghederdauhaulia!

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

He seems a fit looking lad but he needs to learn to lace his boots up properly.
    Also he needs some new kit he seems to have out grown that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Excellent debut. Very impressed with him. If he can play just as good at LB then we are sorted.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Excellent debut. Very impressed with him. If he can play just as good at LB then we are sorted.
    Really like the look of this lad. He was brilliant in possession, unruffled throughout and not only stopped many an attack but turned it into an attacking opportunity for us.
    While we have Coleman at right back, I would like to see MON use Christie as a center back, given our lack of talent there.
    A back four containing Coleman at right back, JOS and Christie in the middle and my new favorite for the left back position (despite a brilliant performance there by R Brady) being James McLean. Something to get excited about ahead of the long winter months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    All right lads. He's had one cap. Lets get him to 10 at his natural position before trying him here, there or anywhere else.

He was impressive tonight but confidence is important for a young lad getting his first taste of the big time. A good start but he still has silly mistakes to make.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Paul hasn't even compared him to a GAA player yet, or pointed out how he will one day soon give away a penalty
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 19/11/2014 at 12:29 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

19. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    All right lads. He's had one cap. Lets get him to 10 at his natural position before trying him here, there or anywhere else.

He was impressive tonight but confidence is important for a young lad getting his first taste of the big time. A good start but he still has silly mistakes to make.
    Disagree. We should play him in a different position in every game. And then when he's played in all of them we should invent new formations.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Disagree. We should play him in a different position in every game. And then when he's played in all of them we should invent new formations.
    No pressure then Charlie!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Christie right back, Coleman right midfield. I'd like to see that tried out. Get Coleman up where he can be a real goal threat with a (hopefully) solid right back behind him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Would love to see him tried out at left back. Then we could have Coleman RB, Christie LB, McGeady RW and Brady LW. Excellent attacking threat there.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Really like the look of this lad. He was brilliant in possession, unruffled throughout and not only stopped many an attack but turned it into an attacking opportunity for us.
    While we have Coleman at right back, I would like to see MON use Christie as a center back, given our lack of talent there.
    A back four containing Coleman at right back, JOS and Christie in the middle and my new favorite for the left back position (despite a brilliant performance there by R Brady) being James McLean. Something to get excited about ahead of the long winter months.
    You really mustn't watch many Ireland games, and there is no excuse for not watching the ones in America in the summer!

A bit of perspective please. Christie looked good but it's very early days, way too many examples of great white hopes in the past. McClean is nowhere near good enough for LB, what he does best is puts his head down and runs at people, a bit headless, thats exactly what you dont want in a LB.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    You really mustn't watch many Ireland games, and there is no excuse for not watching the ones in America in the summer!

A bit of perspective please. Christie looked good but it's very early days, way too many examples of great white hopes in the past. McClean is nowhere near good enough for LB, what he does best is puts his head down and runs at people, a bit headless, thats exactly what you dont want in a LB.
    Don't watch many Ireland games??
    My first 'watched' game was in 1972. First attended game was a year later. Missed perhaps two since then.
    McLean has all the attributes for a decent left back, admittedly it would take some adjusting on his part, but he is head and shoulders above Ward for the position. McLean has pace, an eye for a tackle and he can put his head down and run as you say. Hopefully that would be as an overlapping left back. He has far more about him than Stephen Ward. Having said that, Brady had an excellent game in that position yesterday, but he has far more to offer in a forward role.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast