Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyrus Christie D Hull b.1992

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    He has a lot of tools but is missing one or two. He went on a delightful run down the right after the 80th minute and when he got into the Spurs half he passed it straight to one of their players and they broke. It summed up a lot of his performance for me. He's quick, strong, powerful running but allows himself to be punished by top level players for lapses too frequently.
    Which kinds of backs up my thought about playing him further up the pitch and allowing him more freedom to run at defences without having to worry so much about defensive duties, while still taking advantage of his experience in defence (flawed though it may be) to give extra protection on our right flank.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Tbh he is actually a sh*t player. Zero understanding of positioning and easily tricked. I wouldn't dream of playing him.
    Don't hold back Diggs... tell us how you really feel! Seriously, though, my point is that we could take advantage of his positive qualities (fast, strong running, decent crosser) and mitigate against his negative ones (his defensive positioning and tendency to be tricked that you mentioned) by playing him on the right side of midfield, with Coleman or Doherty behind him.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I wish I was as **** a player as he is. Could have made a career for myself.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Which kinds of backs up my thought about playing him further up the pitch and allowing him more freedom to run at defences without having to worry so much about defensive duties, while still taking advantage of his experience in defence (flawed though it may be) to give extra protection on our right flank.
    He doesn't have the footwork to play further up, the technique, I don't think.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Interviewed on Off the Ball AM on Newstalk this morning. I'm listening to it on podcast form here now and the description refers to experiences of racism and promotion with Fulham as the main points of conversation.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The racist incidents were while he was in Ireland meeting up with the Irish squad for training and after matches. He said his usual behavior was not to react or make any deal about it, that is until Derry rebel James McClean heard it after the Denmark game and brought it up for wide public attention. Cyrus was appreciative of the support from James.
    When asked about the incident going into the training ground, he said there were some schoolkids with their teacher, one of the kids (14 year old) started throwing abuse at him and the teacher did nothing. That the teacher did nothing shocked Cyrus.
    He brought evidence to the Gardai and made a formal complaint, one of the Guards receiving the complaint said he didn't believe that racism existed in Ireland.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Something else very ugly reared its head. Cyrus says that he gets abuse every game from Irish supporters telling him that he isn't Irish. He says that himself, Callum Robinson and Didsy get this abuse because they are black. He says that , Clark, Arter and other white lads born in England are not told that they are not Irish.

Honestly utterly despicable behaviour and it is distressing to hear that it is so frequently perpetrated and I wish that it had been highlighted earlier. The fact that the comments/abuse aren't isolated would aso worry me.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Something else very ugly reared its head. Cyrus says that he gets abuse every game from Irish supporters telling him that he isn't Irish. He says that himself, Callum Robinson and Didsy get this abuse because they are black. He says that , Clark, Arter and other white lads born in England are not told that they are not Irish.

Honestly utterly despicable behaviour and it is distressing to hear that it is so frequently perpetrated and I wish that it had been highlighted earlier. The fact that the comments/abuse aren't isolated would aso worry me.
    and yet these same morons will gladly tell you that they are part of the "best supporters in the world"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    We kick racism out of football.

The problem with Cyrus is that he is not a good international player, was exposed in that 1-5, as Ward was! Martin didnt protect him, Cyrus, playing him in midfield, unsensible football. Young Doherty is the better player even Kevin Long was a better option.

I think Roy Keane told once to Vieira to play for Senegal if he loves his country which was spot on. Big nations stole players from small countries.

I think Sterling is jamaican. Should play for Jamaica. There is double standard in football.

The irish are forgetting they were expelled from places and jobs because of their irishness. The globalization is killing the nations.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post

I think Roy Keane told once to Vieira to play for Senegal if he loves his country which was spot on. Big nations stole players from small countries.
    I hope Viera told him to pee off and start playing for his own country if he professed to love it so much. France must have had some vision to steal Viera when he was a kid.
    I think Sterling is jamaican. Should play for Jamaica
    Sterling can figure out for himself his own ethnicity and decide who he wants to play for.

The irish are forgetting they were expelled from places and jobs because of their irishness.
    There must be one person who remembers the great exodus, movement of the people.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts

Wink

The irish are forgetting they were expelled from places and jobs because of their Irishness. The globalization is killing the nations.
    Irish people who were discriminated against both at home and abroad for centuries should remember their history and not to start racially abusing other people now. It just makes us look like the worst of the English supporters discriminating against our own players due to the colour of their skin.

However if a player goes to a different church than you then that's fair game.
    Last edited by youngirish; 12/08/2020 at 10:09 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    "You dont get to be racist and Irish"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    This is clearly a huge issue in Irish football, and one that we haven't really faced up to at all. I think we spend too much time slagging off xenophobic English supporters, sectarian Northern Ireland supporters etc and we act as though we are superfans that don't have a nasty element within our base.

But it's there and it needs to be tackled - if we run anti racism campaigns at our matches and take the time to out the twitter trolls and the like we should hopefully be able to make some progress on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Stay on topic, i.e. Cyrus Christie. If you want to discuss globalisation, there's a politics forum for exactly that,
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    i genuinely wonder to what extent this is football fans targeting Cyrus and to what extent it's followers of G O'D etc. etc. who are targeting successful black Irish sportspeople. I know Gemma very openly targeted Patience Jumbo Gula and Rhasidat Adeleke on Twitter, posting their photos and saying they weren’t irish. The issue with the likes of Gemma, GT and similar mongers of hate (patriots!) is they generally know the how to say things that are xenophobic and racist and hugely hurtful without necessarily breaking the law. And when you’ve got 100 to 500 idiots, many of whom clearly have mental health issues, who are determined to push a racist agenda, it’s very difficult for the average person to combat that, except for denouncing every racist action and showing support to the victims of racist abuse...

not that racism doesn't exist or campaigns and education aren't critical to ensuring it doesn't grow - but with social media, where a player's inbox is only a click away, it's hard to imagine you'd ever be able to stop the 0.0001%

18. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    The thing with Christie is that he is like Chris Morris, a squad player.
    All players get some stick when from fans when the national team is in dire straits.

I think it was Curtis Fleming who talked about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    All players get some stick when from fans when the national team is in dire straits.
    its not "stick"..... its abuse and a crime...

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Calling someone a black b****** is not 'stick'. Calling someone an idiot is stick. Idiot.

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

Cutris FLeming did not say that, what he spoke about was very different and he also mentioned being abused as a child (racially) by an adult. what kind of adult does that regardless of their upbringing. He did very well to not let it get to him but clearly never fully got over it, the parallels with what happened Cyrus, and he spoke so humbly about it, with the school teacher is awful.

Irish people got abuse the world over, we should not be dishing out that same abuse, especially in our own country.

Unfortunately there are negative and positives of positive discrimination. If any player does bad he gets abused, its always the lowest common denominator, sadly that becomes colour for anyone non-white or "non-conforming" to some people.

Lads not everyone is a WUM, some people are just ignorant.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    I've only heard racism once, when Clinton Morrison was warming up on the sideline close to the terrace where the schoolboy section is and some toerag shouted "Where'd ya get yer sun tan??!"

Several people, including myself immediately whirled around to tell the kid to shut the f*** up. I figured that would be the norm. But I guess that was 16 years ago or something. Which actually is quite depressing.
    If more incidents come to light, then an initiative by the core support would be great. I won't have it. There's far more of us than however amount of casual or not so casual racists.

27. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    Calling someone a black b****** is not 'stick'. Calling someone an idiot is stick. Idiot.
    Well check out what Alvaro "Palito" Pereira said on that issue back then against Patrice Evra in 2011. No bull**** nor hypocrisy. It follows what Curtis Fleming said and was spot on. I have got sympathy for Cyrus, but you just cant let those insults from the stands affect you when you are a professional footballer. Every player gets some bashing and insults. Remember Maradona? Remember 1994 U.S.A those fake tests?

Anyway, Idiot is a big world for your keyboard. im not gonna insult you im a cath, i forgive you

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast