Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyrus Christie D Hull b.1992

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    I have often wondered why players who fail to make it as wingers don't covert to full back. Physicality is not required and what is needed is pace, positional sense and ability to turn quickly. Any half decent winger should be able to play as a full back or wing back. Big Jack even had Ronnie Whelan playing full back and he did ok there.

McLean's club career has stalled a bit. Should be an option to consider.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I femember Howard Wilkinson saying they worked with Gary Kelly initially as a winger but they felt he was more reactive than proactive so put him at full back.

O'Neill has said he doesn't think full backs should play RHM. I'm not sure. I think Kelly played RHM a few times with Finnan behind him, and sometimes Finnan at RHM if we were playing more defensively.

I think we have good wide options without playing Coleman further forward.

Wing back in a 352 could be very interesting for both Coleman and McClean.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I have often wondered why players who fail to make it as wingers don't covert to full back. Physicality is not required and what is needed is pace, positional sense and ability to turn quickly. Any half decent winger should be able to play as a full back or wing back. Big Jack even had Ronnie Whelan playing full back and he did ok there.

McLean's club career has stalled a bit. Should be an option to consider.
    Cyrus started out as a striker/right winger, as was pretty apparent from his performance v the USA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The truth of his mercenary motives were already shamefully exposed by his own foolhardiness, but listen now to Christie's desperate attempts at damage limitation!:

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Christie
    I've come and made my debut and it’s a fantastic achievement for me and a dream come true. It’s something you dream of as a kid. To put on the Ireland jersey was fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Christie
    Delighted to have made my ROI debut last night was a real honour to put on the jersey and was a dream come true and was a great result
    First he has the audacity to pull on the green jersey just to get an international game of football - for any team would have done! - and now to try and cover his selfish motives behind a facade of false national sentiment... Too late, Christie. How very dare you![/TOWK]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    What did you expect him to say?

"It was a sh*te experience. I don't want to be here. I would rather be anywhere else. I'm never playing for your country again"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Why can't you just take people at face value sometimes? Why is it so hard for you to imagine that he might actually have felt some pride and honour in it?

I mean, is that concocted quote there what you believe he really thinks behind the words, or something along those lines; that he'd rather not have been there, only for the fact he was getting a bit of international exposure for the sole and selfish benefit of his career?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I'm sure he is proud and thinks it is an honour to be given the chance to play Intl. football. Did I say otherwise?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Erm, well, you've been going on about being so sure that there was no sentiment for his Irish heritage in his decision to declare for us. You were simply in no position to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    On the bench this evening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Cyrus Christie & Rovers': http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/la...hristie-rovers

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock Rovers
    At 6’ 2” Cyrus Christie is an imposing figure amongst the back four of English Championship promotion-chasing side Derby County. In November 2014 the Coventry-born defender made his debut for the Republic of Ireland when the USA provided the opposition in a friendly international at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin.

Christie qualified to play for the Republic of Ireland through his grandmother whose own grandfather was ‘Doc’ Malone. John or Patrick (as he was also known) Malone was himself a full back and gave many years of service to Shamrock Rovers. He was on the same team as the famous ‘Four ‘F’s’ and played a major role in the winning of the League, FAI Cup and Shield in the 1924/25 season.

‘Doc’ Malone came from the north inner city of Dublin. He is referred to in several mentions in old match programmes as ‘Doctor’ Malone which gives credence to the belief of the family that he was given the nickname of ‘Doc’ on account of him always been known to carry a case similar to what a doctor would have had. It wasn’t medical equipment that our ‘Doc’ was carrying around in his briefcase – it was his lunch. Like a great number of men on either side of the River Liffey he was employed on the docks.

Cyrus’ grandmother, Mary Parrott, has many happy memories of her grandfather. One story she had been told though was that he had been forced to pawn his precious medals but she is not sure just how true this tale might be. There was a lot of poverty in Dublin in those early years of the foundation of the state and throughout the War years (or The Emergency as it was in Ireland) and the story could certainly be true.

When Cyrus made his debut for the Republic against the USA in November his extended family turned out in big numbers at the Aviva Stadium. They are proud of their Irish roots and were equally proud of the moment he ran out onto the pitch in Dublin.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    So his great great grandfather played for Rovers? Am I right?
    At the time he made his debut I really felt in interviews that he was playing for Ireland as a career move. He didn't seem too proud or excited.
    Because of that I was surprised to read he has family in Ireland he's still in touch with (or maybe he's not.)

Either way, he had a great debut and is a great option for us
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I think you were influenced by TOWK. Christie said when the call came that it was a no brainer and that behind Coleman there wasn't much competition in his position. What he didn't say was taken as "proof" that it was a career move. If he had come out with lots of fluffy nice stuff about his Irish roots he'd have had all that forensically analysed too, a bit like McGoldrick. I think declarants need PR advisors to carefully craft and word their statements to the media, and probably provide DNA samples too.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    No I wasn't influenced by TOWK. I'm not regular enough on here to really know the other posters.
    Although if you look back over this thread you'll probably find me saying something after viewing his interview with FAI TV where I felt he didn't seem too arsed about Ireland. It's probably just his natural demeanour. Anyway, I'll reserve judggement until the next few games but, as I've said before, if he does the business on the pitch nothing else really matters

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Reserve judgement? He committed fully when approached at the age of 22, with his whole career ahead of him. I'm sure he has enough belief in his own ability that he envisages a career as a PL right back for many years, and therefore in the England reckoning at some point, if he keeps his head down. He also knows that Seamus Coleman is better than anything England have at right back at the moment so he could be biding his time on the bench for a long time. We're taking gut tests to new depths if we can't feel okay about a guy like him.

Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be playing too well of late for Derby. A lot of the Derby fans feel safer with Shotton at right back at the moment, and seem to think that Keogh also plays better when this is the case. Christie got the nod last night again though in a crunch game with Bournemouth, so McClaren must have plenty confidence in him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    No I wasn't influenced by TOWK. I'm not regular enough on here to really know the other posters.
    Although if you look back over this thread you'll probably find me saying something after viewing his interview with FAI TV where I felt he didn't seem too arsed about Ireland. It's probably just his natural demeanour. Anyway, I'll reserve judggement until the next few games but, as I've said before, if he does the business on the pitch nothing else really matters
    it's equally likely he couldn't be arsed with the interview with FAI TV!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    it's equally likely he couldn't be arsed with the interview with FAI TV!
    Very true. And yes indeed, in response to Delorean, I will reserve judgement on a player's commitment and use to the squad until at least a couple of games. I think it would be unwise to get too excited based on one game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Well yeah, fair enough to reserve judgement on his ability and attitude, but he's obviously committed to playing for us. That's all I'd hope for at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    announced as young player of the season at Derby's awards tonight: https://twitter.com/dcfcofficial/sta...00237915414529
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He would have had practically no competition really but great to see after a poor finish to last season. The only others I can think of that would definitely be eligible would be Jamie Hanson & Will Hughes, the former only playing sporadically and the latter only returning recently from a cruciate injury. I'm not sure if George Thorne would qualify at 23, but he's missed a lot of games through injury also.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast