Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul McGrath - Legend

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Paul McGrath - Legend

folks, just after watching gerry ryan interview paul, great interview.

wonder does he ever regret becoming a professional footballer? the drink culture that was part of ithe game while he was playing obviousily had a very bad affect on him.

shame that the fai don't offer him a job and help him back on his feet again. after all he was in my opionin one of the top 2 best players every to play for us. is he going to turn into the next george best. hope not

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I didn't get to see it, unfortunately. He's a giant of a man. Certainly one of the most talented players to ever pull on the jersey. What topics did they cover?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    in a word....pityful,
    they covered his career highs and lows with i feel,more emphasis on his lows.
    he has'nt seen his two younger kids in a couple of years

he seemed incredibly naive in his business dealings with the clubs he was with,no agent etc.
    Last edited by the 12 th man; 12/11/2004 at 9:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Paul admitted he was on the verge of a mental breakedown, due mainly to the absence of his two younger kids from his life. I thought Ryan over emphasised Pauls drink problem, he actually asked him would he like a drink. This is after the man admitted to be a chronic Alcoholic. Paul said he has many friends trying to help him but what the programme showed is that Paul is in a fairly fragile state of mind. While it was compulsive viewing, it was also very, very sad to see such a big man, who has achieved so much in sport, struggling to keep his dignity.
    Always look on the bright side of life

barglee
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneRanger
    folks, just after watching gerry ryan interview paul, great interview.

wonder does he ever regret becoming a professional footballer? the drink culture that was part of ithe game while he was playing obviousily had a very bad affect on him.

shame that the fai don't offer him a job and help him back on his feet again. after all he was in my opionin one of the top 2 best players every to play for us. is he going to turn into the next george best. hope not
    Didn't he get a job with waterford utd a while back ?
    anyone know how that went for him

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    spent alot of time ther ****ed..not good at all
    Bring back the plank

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    think it was mentioned that he had moved to cavan as well so his involvement at waterford is probably limited
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magoo
    think it was mentioned that he had moved to cavan as well so his involvement at waterford is probably limited
    last night he was living in kippure in the wicklow mountains

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i stand corrected - the involvement with waterford would probably still stand, no? Any Waterford lads out there to confirm?
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    He was at the Cup Final
    Always look on the bright side of life

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    i felt ryan kept dragging out the bad stuff.
    paul looked and sounded a lonely soul.
    thought it was a bit nasty ,the last question:"would you like a drink right now ?"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man
    i felt ryan kept dragging out the bad stuff.
    paul looked and sounded a lonely soul.
    thought it was a bit nasty ,the last question:"would you like a drink right now ?"
    Gerry Ryan showed why he is know as one of the worst TV personalities EVER. The man wanted Paul to go "oh Gerry, thats what wrong with me, your so wise you know me better than me" I cringed when I heard some of Ryan statements.
    It's only just begun...............
    If the last 21 years were class, here's looking forward to the next 21 years. It is our time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ..as far as I'm aware (and you know how accurate word of mouth can be at times!) he's still living in Wicklow and is seeing a girl from Bray. I've seen him about Bray a few times including, unfortunately, a couple of nights in a nightclub down the beach when he was worse for wear....

Its such a pity to see him struggle so much, he was a real giant for Ireland. Its such a common problem though isn't it, just magnified cause he's in the public eye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ...plus have to agree on Gerry Ryan. He is probably the worst TV interviewer there is. He must try to sound wise and all-knowing cause you really couldn't pull off what he does by accident !!!

I think McGraths contract with Waterford was terminated a couple of months back

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What can you do? The Pearl is in his forties at this stage and still isn't tackling the problem. I think anyone who has ever followed football in this country would love to see him doing well for himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Didn't see it but Gerry Ryan's a tosser in my opinion. The last thing Paul needs is to be grillied on TV about his drink problem when he obviously still struggling through the worst of it. Ryan is trying to further his career on the back of someone else's suffering. As for asking him if "he wanted a drink now", that's just sick
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    McGrath is a gentle giant of a man. Met him in Doyle's off Westmoreland Street one very boozy night last October, was a bit surprised at seeing him out there, but he (in stark contrast to myself) didn't seem to have a drink taken at all. Very good humoured, very gracious. Didn't seem to mind having his photo taken with a couple of blotto students, nor having a small chat about the goal he scored against Bulgaria in '87 (don't think even he remembered that one). A legend, by all accounts. Good luck to him...

Formerly: dublinharp carrickharp's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Ryan was brutal asking Paul did he want a drink? Who the hell dose this guy get off? We pay his feckin wages. Never liked Ryan and never will he is just more of what RTE are all about arrogant presenters who think they are better that the rest of us I only watched it cause Paul was being interviewed.

I wish Paul all the best and hope things work out for him he looked so distant at the end of the show, it's a wonder Ryan didn’t push him over the edge.
    “Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete.” - Sid Waddell
    www.donegaldarts.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamuslawless
    have to agree on Gerry Ryan. He is probably the worst TV interviewer there is.
    Remember when he asked Paul the same question about ten times about his father? When Paul didn't give the answer Gerry wanted, Gerry rephrased the question and asked it again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Someone of McGrath's stature shouldnt have to suffer the indignity of having a self satisfied pseudo-intellectual practice his therapy skills on him. Ryan is a dinosaur and it's absolutely outrageous that this muck is foisted upon us in the name of information & entertainment.
    I would like to have seen Paul McGrath's story handled by someone with a little more weight & ability in the field.
    Parkinson & Paxman can rest easy. Gerry Ryan isn't shifting them to the dole queue any time soon. The mans either a buffoon who doesnt realise he's out of his depth, or he's weak for not standing up to the advisors who told him to take this venture.

I know this isn't the "Gerry f*cking Ryan" forum, but what if, spurred on by the 'success' of his 'in-depth' Paul pogramme, he decided that this was the way to go? Is the future "Ryan confidential, with George Best? John Giles? Pat Jennings? Mick McCarthy? RMK?"

It has to stop now. Paul squirmed under questioning, but for all the wrong journalistic reasons. Ryan cant do football or Footballers..
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast