Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: St. Pats and their points

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

St. Pats and their points

Well Pats got their points back, which I'm not surprised at. I clicked onto the newspaper this morning and wasnt a bit surprised either to see Shelbourne flipping out at the decision. This whole saga makes the league look so amateurish and childish. Every season there's something dragging throught the courts. I say let them have the points and lets beat them on the pitch, rather than worry if a player's registration was sent by registered post or not. I'm not saying Pats are innocent, but it seems like a storm in a tea-cup to me. We are better than Pats, I dont see why we cant go on and win the league without points being taken off other teams.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    On the football side of things, I agree with you Ali, I would much rather beat Pats on the pitch and win the league without it being handed to us by points deductions.

On the other hand, rules are rules. It says in the rulebook that a team fielding an illegible player will be deducted three points for each game that players plays in, so 9 points being deducted from Pats is in accordance with the rulebook.

Whether that rule is wise or not is irrelevant. It's the rule! The FAI have acted consistently within their own rules, no special teatment shown, no excessive brutality shown, the FAI did what they did in accordance with the rules drawn up by them and which all teams participating in the league agree to abide by, and if not, they are aware of the consequences beforehand. Pats never denied this happening did they, they've offered excuses, but never denied. So we have a case where a breach of the rules has occurred, this is not in questions, and a penalty appropriate according to the rules has been handed down. Pats should have taken their punishment like men.

The fact that an independant arbitration has overturned the decision, in effect undermining the FAI's authority in it's own matters, is very worrying and creates a very dangerous precident. All any reasonable-minded supporter would want is just for the rules to be applied to all teams, and it has not happened here, and it leaves the door open for clubs to have any punishments metted out by the FAI rescinded in the future, if they can afford it!

Not good
    Jack

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    the way i see it is: the rule is stupid, pats are just as stupid for trying to get away with it (mistake or no mistake) and the FAI are totally stupid.

not to be simplistic about it or anything