Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gibraltar (H) - Sat, 11th Oct. / Germany (A) - Tues, 14th Oct.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Gibraltar (H) - Sat, 11th Oct. / Germany (A) - Tues, 14th Oct.

I think I would be inclined to field two very different teams for these games. Like the Oman friendly, I think it's too big a risk to play Wilson and O'Shea against Gibraltar. We should use the game, now that we know for sure that they must be pretty terrible, to keep some key players fresh, injury free and out of harms way in terms of picking up pointless yellow/red cards. It would also be a good opportunity to create a happy squad where everybody feels that they have a role to play and will be given opportunities. Obviously this isn't the priority, more of an added bonus.

We should go to Germany with a positive mindset. Losing 2-0 is not a good result*. Way too much defeatism in recent times from people who I wouldn't really expect. We've seen what Scotland did and it's only a few years since went to Bari and got a draw against the then world champions. No reason it couldn't happen again with the right mindset and, possibly, a lot of luck.

For Gibraltar: (Obviously won't happen!)

------------------- Westwood ----------------

O'Brien ----- Pearce ------ Keogh ------ Ward

---------- Hendrick -------- Gibson -----------

----- Hoolahan ----- McGeady ---- Reid -------

------------------- Keane --------------------

For Germany: (work rate being paramount!)

----------------- Westwood ------------------

Coleman ----- O'Shea ----- Wilson ---- Delaney

------------- Meyler ------ McCarthy ----------

---- Doyle ------- McGeady ------ McClean ----

-------------------- Long ---------------------

Obviously Whelan isn't just going to fall away from their plans all of a sudden and Delaney the opposite... just a personal preference.

*Yes, that was a cheap shot at you Noel King.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 09/09/2014 at 1:28 PM.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Actually, we should cap every fringe player/'wannabe' we can in the first game...

The second is a complete write-off, so the same is almost true!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It's only a write-off if it's treated as one. Sweden were down 4-0 and still didn't see it as a write-off! It would be a bonus if we get something obviously, but we might as well go all out.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Except we can't and we won't!

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Actually, we should cap every fringe player/'wannabe' we can in the first game...

The second is a complete write-off, so the same is almost true!
    Will have to improve in a big way to take anything from the German game but who knows anything can happen.
    Lets talk about six baby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Except we can't and we won't!
    Probably, but I'd be content if the former isn't a result of the latter.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 09/09/2014 at 6:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    There'll be sun, sun, sun?
    Last edited by DeLorean; 09/09/2014 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I wouldn't go nuts with the personnel changes for the Gibraltar game. Tactics and approach sure, but I'd like to fit in as many players for the Germany game as possible (Keane excepted, as I expect to play against Gibralter but not against Germany).

If we can rattle a bunch of goals at home against poor opponents, it could help lift our fairly brittle morale for a go at the world champs. Every little helps.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah but I don't think my team diminishes our chances of scoring a bunch of goals, in fact it probably enhances it, Coleman aside. It's the defence that I have significantly weakened but surely that won't matter too much. Germany have a tough trip to Poland beforehand so it's an opportunity to gain something in terms of freshness. Every little helps indeed
    Last edited by DeLorean; 09/09/2014 at 1:21 PM.

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Germany is 3 days after Gib, yeah? I can see the merit in resting Coleman and I think Meyler showed against Oman that he can fill that gap. I've lost patience with O'Brien. I'd like to see Delaney or Pearse given a run at CB and Wilson at left back.

Other than that I'd be quite keen to pick the best front 6, except McGeady. I'd pick Long over Keane because we all know he'll add a physicality that Keane lacks The rationale being that any one of them is immediately replaceable. McCarthy and Whelan are interchangeable. Meyler, Hendrick and Gibson can walk into a midfield role if an incumbent gets crocked. Hoolahan and Reid are somewhat interchangeable. Quinn, Pilkington and McClean can allfill the left berth. If Long gets crocked pick Doyle in Germany (I might be tempted to pick both).

The only players I think we can't afford to miss in the Germany game are Coleman, O'Shea and McGeady. Everyone else has a very similar replacement.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I'd agree with that - change around the defence by all means, but I'd play an attacking unit against Gibraltar that largely play against Germany, but with different philosophies.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I don't think we need to be totally conservative against Germany. Part of me would think be brave and worst case is that it's a good preparation for Glasgow.

Changes that I'd make from Georgia to Germany, disregarding Gibraltar:

Wilson to left back.
    Delaney or Pearse to CB.
    Do not play McCarthy far up the pitch.
    Use wide players in wide positions. That'll be two of McClean, Pilkington, McGeady or Quinn.
    Play one "ball user" in advanced midfield. Essentially Hoolahan unless Reid does something notable in Dublin on 11th.
    A fighter up front. Long or Doyle.
    Only pick match fit players.

That might only be 3 or 4 personnel changes from Georgia.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 10/09/2014 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The nature of our next two fixtures is surely unprecedented and trivially historic, if you will. Has any team in international football ever played two consecutive competitive games against teams at such polar extremes of the ability spectrum? After lowly Gibraltar, who have no official ranking because they aren't even recognised by FIFA, we take on Germany, the present world champions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    v Germany

Westwood
    Coleman OShea Delaney O'Brien
    Whelan
    McCarthy Gibson
    Hoolohan McGeady
    Long

That team above is intentionally narrow, because I'd think that we've actually a group of players that can play constructive football through the middle, but when retreating it can spread out as it goes back, in effect trying to keep the germans moving the ball in front of us. The overlap is what will kill us, not because of the floated balls in to Mueller, but because of the drag-backs and general intricate technique these chaps have in the final third. Also, we know they're going to play Mueller as the pseudo-striker, who roams, so our two centre-backs are going to be either dragged all over the place, or they're going to be extremely on edge waiting. The worst thing that could happen is if we retreat further and further back when play goes dead. It's an Irish thing, but inviting Germany on will be a disaster. The back 4, in tandem with Whelan and McCarthy are going to have to play as a back 6 almost, as the two centre-backs will likely spend a good portion of time teaming up with the corresponding full back to deal with whatever triumverate is attacking, be it Basti-Goetze-Mueller (BGM), or Kroos-Schurrle-Durm (KSD), so I would think O'Neill will need to have his mind made up on his team as soon as possible in order to work on whatever pods of three or four that are going to have to put in a huge defensive effort.

Example. I would pick one player to stick with Meuller, and I'd go for Delaney. So if BGM is coming into possesion into the Germany attacking 3/4, McCarthy, Whelan, Delaney, and Hoolohan (to cover the Rudy outlet) need to be funnelled back, or positioned in order to intercept or force Germany to switch play. Likewise if KSD are the attacking unit, then it's Gibson, McGeady, Coleman and O'Shea that need to be on the toes. The tricky part is going to Reus, and it could be that Wilson gets the nod at full back, because Reus will have the licence to roam inside almost to the striking position which will leave a huge gap on the left hand side of the irish defence, if of course the full-back tracks.

Germany likely to pick if fit, the following. Offensively they are excellent. on the ball they are excellent. But if they're weak, it's at the back. The common logic will be to flood midfield, so that possession becomes harder to use constructively. That's why I'd pluck for Gibson over Stephen Quinn at this juncture, because Gibson has a dirty strong streak in him, and that will be needed, but also is good on the ball, and can pick a pass as well as take a shot.
    Neuer,
    RUdy, Boateng, Howedes, Durm
    Basti, Kroos
    Reus Goetze Schurrle
    Mueller

Germany really are a beautiful team to watch play football, and that's assuming that Ozil, or Kheidera aren't fit. With the right formation, and personnel, and if they try to play a bit of football, a point is not beyond us. Unfortunately taking last Sunday into account, and the past 2/3 years, a point probably is beyond us.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    snip
    The tricky part is going to Reus, and it could be that Wilson gets the nod at full back, because Reus will have the licence to roam inside almost to the striking position which will leave a huge gap on the left hand side of the irish defence, if of course the full-back tracks.
    Reus is not likely to play is he? copped a sore one against scotland, that should swing the pendulum all the way back to us.

I thought he was faking it but I suppose it could be a real psychosomatic ailment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    After lowly Gibraltar, who have no official ranking because they aren't even recognised by FIFA, we take on Germany, the present world champions
    Surely Gibraltar have an official UEFA ranking after their game with Poland?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The next official set of UEFA national team rankings are to be published in November of 2015, although World-Results.net does have an unofficial provisional/on-going ranking which puts Gibraltar at 52nd out of 54 as of 10/09/2014: http://www.world-results.net/uefa/ranking_2015.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Would it be worthwhile going for 4-4-2 V Gibraltar? McCarthy sitting defesnsive midfield, Hoolahan/Reid in an advanced midfield position and Long/Doyle and Keane up front

Or am i just talking absolute boll0¢ks??
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Yes, you are

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast