Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dublin City gone (pending legal action) and Limerick up for re-election

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They deserve their place because there are people at Limerick trying to do the best for the club just like there is at every club! They can't seem to get the people in the gates and I don't think that is because people at the club aren't trying to drum up support.
    Tradition does come into it also but sometimes clubs rely too much on their tradtion instead of moving forward.
    Maybe purely for kerley's loyalty and hard work during these troubled. Oh yea and for any of the goalkeepers who found themselves playing up front because of lack of players during the season!! Somehow Mike, I don't think you'll ever make a striker out of John Healy!!!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    with all due respect to limerick, you can't give a team a place on the basis of history, or how hard a small group of people work. they deserve a place if they are going to add something to the league- i.e. a competitive team and a good ground. the support comes next. limerick look like they have things sorted for next season, so they should get re-elected on that basis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

I don't agree ...

Limericks attitude seems to be "We are going to be re-elected anyway, so who gives a f**k". The likes of Monaghan and Kilkenny may be getting crowds of 100-, but they are developing their own facilities and are moving in the right direction. These areas have no football tradition, but nevertheless are pushing against the flow. Far more progressive than the likes of Dublin City, Shamrock Rovers and indeed my own club, Galway United.

Limerick remind me of Athlone. These two are the clubs in the First Division who present you with the most "club types" (blazer/jacket), yet they are appallingly incompetent. I have great respect for Limerick FC's supporters, but the club is a joke. Their continuing place in the Eircom League is undermining the licensing procedure. Their continuing failure to recognise this
    means that they must be kicked out.

This is not an anti-Limerick FC post, it is an anti-incompetence post. I wish the club and its supporters well in the future.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    very good points, but the good thing is (and there are other threads on this) that Limerick seem to have sorted investment and are going to progress next season. I agree absolutely that teams who are happy just to fester in the first division should not be allowed to do so. Athlone are also building a new ground at the moment so hopefully that will improve their fortunes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dunne
    Limericks attitude seems to be "We are going to be re-elected anyway, so who gives a f**k". The likes of Monaghan and Kilkenny may be getting crowds of 100-, but they are developing their own facilities and are moving in the right direction. These areas have no football tradition, but nevertheless are pushing against the flow. Far more progressive than the likes of Dublin City, Shamrock Rovers and indeed my own club, Galway United.

Limerick remind me of Athlone. These two are the clubs in the First Division who present you with the most "club types" (blazer/jacket), yet they are appallingly incompetent. I have great respect for Limerick FC's supporters, but the club is a joke. Their continuing place in the Eircom League is undermining the licensing procedure. Their continuing failure to recognise this
    means that they must be kicked out.

This is not an anti-Limerick FC post, it is an anti-incompetence post. I wish the club and its supporters well in the future.
    I actually agree with most of what you write. Despite the excellent end-of-season we had last year theclub was in dire straits come the start of this season (all through the club's own incompetence). We were struggling to get a license. There was talk of the FAI issuing a fixture list without Limerick on it rather than let the whole affair drag on. Shamrock Rovers were in the same position. At that time a lot of the fans had the view that the best thing to do would be to let the club die - with the prospect of starting again when structures were sorted out.

Everyone, including the administration, knew that this was the last chance. Without the proposed investment Limerick FC is dead as an eL team. There is no attitude that lets just wait for re-election. We know that we need to present a proper case for development to the League to justify our continued participation. Limerick fans particulalry don't need to be told how critical this is - we have been too close to extinction too many times to take this for granted.

I think the difference between the progressive clubs you mention and our own is 1. incompetent administration and 2. owning their own ground. Kilkenny can put funds into developing Buckley Park (and get support from the FAI for doing it) because they will not be turfed out. It is very difficult to put money into facilities and develop over the longer term when you don't own any facilities to develop. But don't get me started on that story!
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes it is true the last time we won the First Division Big Sam was in charge. The second part if your post is not true. And even if it was that does not diminish the tremendous tradition of senior soccer in Limerick. When many of the great battles were between the Blues of Munster.
    I think you'll find both parts are true.I remember reading an interview in some paper(cant remember which one) with Sam Allardyce before a League Cup final Bolton were involved in.The man himself confirmed the story and said it was the hardest job he ever had to deal with in his life,he reckoned the Bolton job was easy in comparison!!!

Limerick are in a slump (a long one) but don't get ideas above your station - because bad times can come calling again. And it is not that long since Waterford were plying their trade down in the lower division.
    How are we getting ideas above our station,we know all too well about what the bads years are like and how hard it is to get out of the wasteland that is 1st division football.However in recent times,it seems the ship has been steadied,proper structures are being put in place and adhered to.
    Sadly in Limericks case,this does'nt seem to be the case and there seems to be a long struggle ahead. maybe there is no point in continuing to fight against the rising tide up on Shannonside but for the sake of the loyal band of LFC fans and Mike Kerley's doggedness,determination and loyalty,I hope LFC survive and emerge as a force in senior football once more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Oh well, if it was in the paper.

I just meant that Waterford fans should realise they are not a million miles away from the Limerick situation - the tone of the earlier post was very disparaging to Limerick. Thanks for the support in the latter post.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    I hope Limerick can get their act together and most Eircom League fans would agree that a strong Limerick team would be good for the league.Theres a lot of work to be done though.It'd be good for Munster soccer if it happens.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123