Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: The John Delaney Thread

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Just lets say the uncertainty is nothing to do with the song!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The whole episode is rather bizarre. I find myself asking, "Why this exactly, as opposed to the many other things over which he could (and should) have been hung out to dry?", but, if the singing of something that really in isolation shouldn't be that big of a deal proves to be his downfall, like others, I won't fret too much either. So be it.

I don't know why Delaney thinks it's his job to strengthen links between communities. Or why he feels a need to mention that in his statement even. That's not the issue here and nobody seriously thinks that's the issue; it's a side-show and a distraction. He's not a politician or a figure of social significance with some public mandate to enforce or help build peace; he's a football administrator (who happens to be in the public eye solely because that's exactly where he likes to put himself). I had to look up the name of the FA's CEO again on Google; I'd heard of Alex Horne before but if I'd been asked to place the name, I'd have struggled.

Wasn't Raymond Kennedy simultaneously head of the IFA and a member of the Orange Order? It might not have won too many nationalists over, but that was ultimately Kennedy's private business, and it shouldn't really have been of anyone else's concern, especially not those with no stake or genuine/tangible interest in the organisation, unless that membership was thought to have been impeding or detracting in some way from his professional duties. The same applies to John Delaney, although we should remember there is John Delaney the private citizen and John Delaney the CEO of the FAI. He can sing whatever songs he likes as a private citizen, but he can't really cry foul if his detractors jump all over it when he gives them a public opportunity to do so (i.e. singing a song directly after an Ireland game in a busy pub around the corner from Lansdowne Road that has the potential to brew up a storm amongst the serially offended).

Bad politics or ideals aren't his crime; his crime is simply downright bad judgment. Public relations is a big part of his role, but, time and time again, his clumsiness whilst representing the FAI (mainly in semi-formal/informal settings) has simply gifted the media columns upon columns of avoidable negativity over the last few years. This is just one calamity preceded by many. He repeatedly refers to singing the song only in very private fora; the Bath is a busy public house, isn't it, or was the video recorded during a private lock-in?... If somebody had encroached upon his private realm and had secretly recorded him singing potentially-contentious material, he'd have a case, but what on earth did he expect with strangers present in a public establishment in the age of video phones? He's been caught before in videos conducting himself less-than-professionally, so he should be more than savvy to it.

Is this his explanation for the initial denial before the latter apology?:

Quote Originally Posted by John Delaney
    I now understand that while I was travelling and un-contactable there was some confusion through a third party around the background of a video which appeared and where it happened which led to misunderstanding.
    So, when the FAI lawyers contacted the Guardian/Balls.ie (and others?) on his behalf with threats, warnings and instructions for removal, it was all a misunderstanding (on the part of the lawyers?)? Is he trying to claim the denial was rooted in a genuine belief that a video on YouTube entitled 'John Delaney Singing Joe McDonnell By the Wolftones' was depicting someone else other than himself? Was he so ****ed, he temporarily forgot the moment?!

And this...:

Quote Originally Posted by John Delaney
    The recording was made without the knowledge of anyone in attendance was made to try to construe some link between me and a non-peaceful approach to life which I reject completely.

I have said in the past that I come from a nationalist background. My grandfather fought in the war of independence and the civil war but both my family and I reject violence completely and are 100% aligned to the democratic process which has brought about so much progress in Ireland.
    Is anyone seriously even suggesting that he's a militant republican or advocating the use of physical force?

His calamitous denial and later apology have only made the situation worse for himself. Had he just ignored it and not given the story the time of day, it might well have just blown over. He's made an absolute meal of it now though and shot himself in the foot. Crying on Pat Kenny and everything, good lord!

The abuse of Emma English was cretinous, but a total smokescreen, without doubt. Poor St. John the Baptist...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    I always heard Delaney was the guy in the black mask at Bobby Sands funeral.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    -------Is anyone seriously even suggesting that he's a militant republican or advocating the use of physical force?
    No doubt that anyone who sings "the night they drove ol' dixie down" is an apologist for the backwoods, red necked terrorists who fought for the continued right to have slavery in law, or Christy Moore, the nations most popular musician..... ever, "ah sure he does have a few shadows in his repertoire"
    But we really should switch to Ireland's Call and ditch that sectarian republican abomination, the Soldiers Song.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    But we really should switch to Ireland's Call and ditch that sectarian republican abomination, the Soldiers Song.
    No. Just no.

Ireland's Call is about as rousing as a puppy's yelp.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Would be great craic to see the IFA's reaction to the FAI instituting a song that calls for unity of the four provinces of Ireland.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    Football fans in the North are struggling with this bit of the statement:

"and have worked tirelessly through my role at the Football Association of Ireland to strengthen links between communities on this island, north and south."

Anyone throw any light on this tireless work and give some examples of the strengthened links between communities?

Well I suppose he has linked both sets of fans with sectarian songs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Does karaoke night at the local pub often end in tears, lads?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Does karaoke night at the local pub often end in tears, lads?
    Apparently not until a few mornings later, after a getaway in "Marbs".

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Irony alert?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Are you cooking a turkey on Thursday, Charlie?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    A turkey? What do you mean?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    I thought you started celebrating Thanksgiving last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Incorrect, I don't eat meat my good man. Why else do you think I haven't given in to my hipster instincts and sampled Crackbird?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Anybody caught singing "Joe McDonnell" on a night out should be immediately cornered and asked to name the 10 Hunger Strikers who died.

When they fail (and they will fail) they should be put into a coal bag and launched into the nearest river. For the benefit of the gene pool you understand.

Why in the name of Allah would anyone want to sing that on a night out anyway. Maudlin rubbish. And why does Bobby Sands get a clap and none of the rest of them? They all equally starved themselves to death so PSF could power share in the north and Martin McGuinness could hob nob with the queen afterall.

Typical, cringeworthy, Paddywhackery. "ah shur those brave boys fought the evil Saxon foe, to be sure, to be sure. Fairplay to them, fairplay to them. Whos round is it anyway begorrah"

Rant over.

As for honest John??

What would you expect from a pig only a grunt.

A "controversey" that will have about as much impact on his gobdaw powerbase up and down the country as a fart in a hurricane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Anybody caught singing "Joe McDonnell" on a night out should be immediately cornered and asked to name the 10 Hunger Strikers who died.
    Only saw the avatar on first viewing and was sure this was a post from your fellow died in the wool Limerick man Sean South.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    If Delaney genuinely thinks the video was recorded slyly during a completely private gathering in order to give the bizarre impression he is pro-violence (although nobody was putting words in his mouth), then he'd be the one who's been wronged, so why is he apologising if he believes that to be the case? What exactly is he apologising for if he's adamant he's the victim here?

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    No doubt that anyone who sings "the night they drove ol' dixie down" is an apologist for the backwoods, red necked terrorists who fought for the continued right to have slavery in law, or Christy Moore, the nations most popular musician..... ever, "ah sure he does have a few shadows in his repertoire"

Noooooooooooooooooo. I dont mind a song to represent both sides, but please can we get rid of that dirge!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    What's the comparison? what are you alluding to?

That Delaney would gladly see the Sash at Rangers SC event if it meant he'd get 5 more minutes in the limelight. But the money would have to be right. Our John has standards!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim til I die
    Anybody caught singing "Joe McDonnell" on a night out should be immediately cornered and asked to name the 10 Hunger Strikers who died
    We found this little ditty useful as an aide-memoire back in the day:

Sands made a stand
    Hughes got the Blues
    McCreesh made a speech
    O'Hara went too far-a
    McDonnell the new O'Connell
    Hurson there in person
    Lynch was a cinch
    Doherty so naughty
    McElwee running free
    Devine serving time

EJ Gather Round, aged 19 1/4

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Part of his job is to portray a good image of Irish football and to manage relations with the IFA over sensitive matters, rspecially when they are accusing us of sectarianism / apartheid

Singing republican songs in public with England due to visit Dublin 19 years after a highly politically charged atmosphere is foolhardy
    Any accusations of apartheid were absurd, crass even, probably best ignored.

There's unlikely to be a highly-charged atmosphere at the England game- circumstances aren't really comparable with 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Parker
    Football fans in the North are struggling with this bit of the statement:

"and have worked tirelessly through my role at the Football Association of Ireland to strengthen links between communities on this island, north and south."

Anyone throw any light on this tireless work and give some examples of the strengthened links between communities?
    Give the guy a break, he's given you an all-Ireland team (if helped out by the occasional Englishman or Scot)...

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin
    The difference in context between a rebel song being sung in a pub in south Dublin and a Rangers FC function in Glasgow or Northern Ireland is massive

Would be great craic to see the IFA's reaction to the FAI instituting a song that calls for unity of the four provinces of Ireland
    Indeed. Irish paramilitarism, it's much more of a problem in Glasgow. At least that Rangers guy could sing, he's a spit of the bloke who fronted 70s hitmakers Mungo Jerry.

I doubt the IFA have a problem with you finding some good players in Monaghan, although giving them a club to play for might be a start.

BTW the new UKIP MP Mark Reckless thinks people from the Irish Republic aren't immigrants in Britain. Prob as his Ma's from Sligo and her Da was a FF TD.

Page 6 of 66 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast