Page 4 of 66 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: The John Delaney Thread

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    As I said elsewhere:

Well down the list of things to criticize him for.

Not really much of a story, but hey, if it gets blown up and causes him trouble and makes him quit, then colour me outraged.
    Last edited by osarusan; 25/11/2014 at 11:56 AM.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    quarter of his money is about 75k a year. There's people with similar positions to mine on money like that, I wouldn't trust them as CEO of their own car, never mind the FAI!

He's one of the highest paid CEO's in world football. Something doesn't sit right with me on that.

He's described the League of Ireland as a 'problem child'. Yet..most people with problematic children actually do something about it. He was nowhere to be seen when Dundalk won the league title, he was nowhere to be seen at the FAI cup final. He doesn't exactly cover himself in glory when it comes to footballing matters, yet he's Mr.Popularity when it comes to away days with the Irish team.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Reports* now that he has "broken down" on the Plank Kenny's radio show on Newstalk ? Anyone listening - is it all getting too much for Poor John?

* - its on twitter like....

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Wouldn't say he was too popular with the vast majority of Ireland fans at away games. More likely someone would try to stick one on him if he dared show his face...

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Delaney courts celebrity status in those bizarre pieces in the Sunday Independent and elsewhere and then acts hurt when footage emerges of him singing an IRA song in a pub beside the Aviva on the night of an Ireland game.

None of this reflects very well on his judgement. Meanwhile the Irish game remains a mess, with no proper structure, far too few qualified coaches and a senior game that has lost over 10% of its clubs in recent years. (22 clubs previously but now at 19)
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Reports* now that he has "broken down" on the Plank Kenny's radio show on Newstalk ? Anyone listening - is it all getting too much for Poor John?

* - its on twitter like....
    I heard it. Of course some cynics out there will say its a pathetic attempt to divert attention from the sing song and to court favourable PR and public opinion regarding the ( in poor taste) comments posted on another forum re his partner.

I wouldn't say that though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    i see he has tried to drag the players into it by reference to the singing of sean south. didn't he also drag another FAI employee into the scotland ticket mess?
    a bit pathetic really

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Why cant these guys (incl Roy Keane) stay in the back and stay quiet out of the way? Why are they all such attention seekers? Who knows the CEO of the SFA or FA? Why always us?

The FAI is such a sack a sh!t really when compared to the GAA and IRFU.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    It's always appeared to me that he liked the idea of a big profile but the only downside with that is that you are then a marked man.

So 'he's going with a young wan' as Dunphy would say. Why the hell was that even mentioned in the news? Who cares? Instead of trying to increase your profile and getting your name in the paper focus on your job. Can you imagine other CEO of other countries slugging pints, singing songs and trying to be mates with fans? It's just not professional.

If his 'partner' has been getting abuse online then that is not on, not sure why she has been targeted?
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    The FAI is such a sack a sh!t really when compared to the GAA and IRFU.
    the GAA and IRFU have their problems too. try dealing with the IRFU for away tickets as a regular away traveller..... would make the FAIs policy look the fairest on earth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    The most irritating thing is that he is once again in the news for something so trivial yet still refuses to answer any of the questions asked by him of Irish football fans. What was the purpose of his interviews yesterday?To talk about the incident in the Bath?Was there any mention of the protests last week?

I don't have a particular problem with this latest incident but I think the fact that a few hours before that, he got the guards and stewards to kick out Irish fans for trying to have a peaceful protest, only to head to the pub after without a care in the world to belt out a few rebel tunes a bit rich.

I've lost count of how many of these ridiculous interviews he's done recently with journalists that haven't a clue, dodging any potential tough questions by blabbering on about his personal life. He's in the media as he is the CEO of a Football Association but doesn't seem to have any interest in discussing football.

It's quite clear that he craves media attention and seems to have found himself his very own publicist in that clown Barry Egan. His article yesterday is one of the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

http://www.independent.ie/style/cele...-30764240.html
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    PR machine in full flow now.....JD looking for the empathy vote.

He never wanted his relationship in the public eye......well apart from the centre page spreads in the weekend supplements.

He then denies singing the song with the full weight of his legal team behind him......Only to then admit to it and apologise with a "sure don't the team sing them as well". He doesn't half like to ensure his team cop the flak as well in true leadership fashion......you know the "someone took their eye off the ball" ticketgate response.....

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...epublic-ballad

The podcasts will be up shortly I imagine with his teary eyed interviews...

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/today-with-...urke/podcasts/
    http://www.newstalk.ie/player/shows/The_Pat_Kenny_Show
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    He never wanted his relationship in the public eye......well apart from the centre page spreads in the weekend supplements.
    Weren't they together on the Brendan O'Connor Show a while back too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    They were, and she called him a big teddy bear. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't witness it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    There are already lots of videos taken with phones of JD singing while drunk in pubs. He has to know to expect that videos will be taken of him, sly or not sly. He is a well known public figure. Part of his job is to portray a good image of Irish football and to manage relations with the IFA over sensitive matters, rspecially when they are accusing us of sectarianism / apartheid. His judgment in the run up to the Scotland game was questionable and his judgment in constantly being seen drunk is also questionable, especially singing songs that have political overtones. He is fully entitled to his political views but he should keep his preferences to himself. Singing republican songs in public with England due to visit Dublin 19 years after a highly politically charged atmosphere is foolhardy.

This incident by itself could be dismissed as a storm in a teacup but when thrown into the mix of his salary, his securing a 6 year contract extension, the increased retirement age for blazers and other catastrophic governance issues and his craving for publicity just adds to the sense of dissatisfaction. The image he portrays of the organisation that represents our game and our interests is regressive to say the least.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Ah we have it now lads, Brian Warfield on Joe Duffy discussing the meaning behind his song Joe McDonnell... I hope he criticises JD for destroying what is a great ballad.

EDIT: he wasn't impressed with the singing but he did give him 10/10 for effort!
    Last edited by Junior; 25/11/2014 at 2:39 PM.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    He is such an embarrassment to Irish football...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    John Delaney’s €360,000 Salary More Offensive Than Any Republican Ballad

IRISH football fans have confirmed that John Delaney’s exorbitant salary of €360,000 is far more offensive than any rendition of a republican ballad.

With the Irish national team ranked 61st in the world behind heavyweights such as Cape Verde Islands, Albania, Trinidad and Tobago, Togo, Mali, Panama and Guinea, supporters would sooner question if Delaney is worth the money he is paid than admonish him for a poor rendition of a song in a pub.

More controversial than torturing bar regulars with his shrieking is the fact that fans were kicked out of the Aviva during Ireland’s recent match against the USA for protesting against Delaney’s leadership. Those protesting were seeking answers regarding the FAI’s dysfunctional ticketing policy for away matches.

Delaney had responded to the FAI fiasco which left many season ticket holders without tickets for the Scotland match in Glasgow by choosing to blame the Scottish FA for the FAI’s mistake, labeling them ‘a joke’.

According to the FAI’s latest accounts from 2013, the organisation is as much as €50 million in debt and provides next to no support for the League of Ireland competition.

Some fans have noted their disgust at the fact prize money afforded to the winners of the competition is significantly smaller than Delaney’s salary, despite the serious need clubs have for vital income to pay staff and stave off bankruptcy on a yearly basis. In fact total prize money for the league is less than Delaney’s salary.

Delaney’s level of pay is more unpalatable than a song about hunger strikers when it’s noted the FAI’s youth football policy amounts to handing out last minute free tickets to children when overpriced international match tickets fail to sell to a public unwilling to overpay.

“I don’t mind him singing some ****e song, but it would be great he tried to craft a 23 man squad out of players coached in Ireland in their youth rather than relying on English clubs to bail us out,” explained passionate fan Eddie Grogan.

Delaney, however, has always insisted he is worth his pay, his belief reportedly coming from his desire to not being paid a penny less.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Solicitors were instructed to deny it was Delaney

There is a whole plethora of questions around that. Threaten Guardian(and other outlets....) and then come out and admit it.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Ah sure didn't he buy us all a pint after Spain hammered us and he was too hung over to deal with the Monaghan United thing the next day!!!

If the man had any pride he'd step down. Not just over the song but the state of game in Ireland.

Page 4 of 66 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast