Thread: The John Delaney Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    id say he is shaking in his boots.
    rang rings around them the last time
    He's got Brendan on board now too - https://www.killarneytoday.com/home-...etting-better/

Quote Originally Posted by UK Times
    A young TD at the time, Brendan Griffin, described Delaney’s lobbying as a “very dangerous precedent”. Griffin is now the sports minister in Shane Ross’s department and so is ideally placed to get a grip on some of these vexed questions regarding whether the distribution of public money to sporting bodies such as the FAI should permit the government to be more intrusive over governance issues.

So far, now that he is in government, Griffin has shown little appetite to get to grips with some of the long standing governance issues which have arisen during Delaney’s tenure as chief executive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Del you're better placed than me, but I wouldn't believe there would any appetite to remove John Delaney from the Kerry District League? The FAI, or Delaney, has sueted Kerry clubs, and in particular Mounthawk Park quite well, with many clubs in GAA strongholds having fine facilities.
    Plus didn't the 15s/16s have a quadrangular tournament down there very recently?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Delaney has family in Kerry and is pally with the Secretary of the KDL, John O'Regan, so I suspect you're right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Del you're better placed than me, but I wouldn't believe there would any appetite to remove John Delaney from the Kerry District League? The FAI, or Delaney, has sueted Kerry clubs, and in particular Mounthawk Park quite well, with many clubs in GAA strongholds having fine facilities.
    Plus didn't the 15s/16s have a quadrangular tournament down there very recently?
    The Victory Shield was held in Mounthawk Park: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/2018...nched-in-kerry
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    It drives me bonkers...its so fecking obvious where the issues are with the league, the FAI. the overall cronyism

Arghr grumble, mumble, I just think of Delaney for 1 sec and rants like this happen!

Without even digging deep, there's no getting past his salary..it's just disgusting - and we never even consider that his life is basically expensed so he has barely any day to day cost. I've no doubt he added allowances to his salary which would be tax-deductible and not officially his base pay.

Italy Chief : 150k pa (Hugely successful international teams, Successful although haunted by corruption)
    Spain Chief 150k pa (National team is immense, probably 2nd biggest league in the world)
    UK Chief: 590k pa (National team is...heh, largest league structure in the world)

Delaney: 360k pa (National team on life support for almost 20 years. barely functioning league)
    430lk for 8 of his 11 years.

WHY?
    He's gotten away with it for years and years, simply because the media doesn't give a monkeys about the FAI outside of International breaks. There's very few who would take him on as well as it could affect their ability to earn. Consider it....who has really spoken out against them over the years? Keano and now Kerr. Quinn finally?

What has he given us?
    Eircom Park?
    People far too quickly forget about eircom park and the bertie bowl - it's never been investigated but a shower of them pocketed millions from it. Delaney's predecessor squandered the chance to build a FAI only stadium and no-one will ever convince me that he wasn't a screw in the 'Stadium Ireland' swindle, along with Delaney himself. As below...arghr:
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-26092895.html

Who in the name of bejasus spends 200k a month on marketing for a stadium before getting planning permissions for it?

Aviva?
    The IRFU gave us the Aviva - the FAI went begging with hat in hand.
    Most people don't even realize that the FAI's joint ownership is actually on a lease and eventually the stadium goes back to full IRFU ownership.Delaney negotiated a horrendous deal with the IRFU simply because they had no other choice. I've always believed this was their plan all along.

Euro 2020 Matches
    Nah,dont care, it's going to be a round robin approach. I'd be far happier if we waited another four years and had a functioning national league in place or at least in progress. Mainly though, a National Team that can compete there

What about their corruption?
    • 5 million bribe from FIFA. Should have demanded 30 if it was truly spent on debt
    • Barca/Limerick friendly - still boils my blood
    • Eircom Park
    • Expenses - have they ever even been seen?
    • Subjugation of the LOI - It can't just all be pure incompetence....can it?
    • Match-fixing scandals - Athlone
    • Delaney Out poster fascism
    • 10k match-day program reprint - because Delaney screwed up

And that's just what i can think of off the top of my head

ARGHRGHRGRH....

If only a decent hacker got into their emails...i's say it's rife with evidence

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    FAI poised to overhaul board after Shane Ross directive
    Some changes are in the offing for the FAI as they have agreed to comply with government directives for best practice re boards which control the various sports.

John Fallon: 'Term limits an ideal reason for FAI blood transfusion'
    I didn't think Shane Ross as minister would have much if any influence on the way the FAI functions structurally, as the government's annual budget for all sports is a paltry Eur40m. To put that figure in some perspective, Reykjavik city council (similar size to Cork city) has an annual net spend of Eur50m on sports.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I didn't think Shane Ross as minister would have much if any influence on the way the FAI functions structurally, as the government's annual budget for all sports is a paltry Eur40m. To put that figure in some perspective, Reykjavik city council (similar size to Cork city) has an annual net spend of Eur50m on sports.
    126 million budgeted for 2019.

But i wonder how much of that goes to GAA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post

id say the curragh redevelopment is getting a large chunk of that 2019 budget which is madness

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post

Yeah I see it now, out of that total, eur40m is for capital funding, which i presume is sport infrastructure. The question is more, just how much goes to Dublin GAA? Do horses and dogs still count as sport?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Appearing before the Tourism and Sport Oireachtas Committee next month: https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-37720805.html

Following TD's are on that committee if anyone wants to suggest some questions to your TD's/Senators: https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/committ...rt/membership/
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Appearing before the Tourism and Sport Oireachtas Committee next month: https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-37720805.html

Following TD's are on that committee if anyone wants to suggest some questions to your TD's/Senators: https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/committ...rt/membership/
    An easy ride for JD so

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post

Postponed to April: https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-37822579.html
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    https://twitter.com/JohnBurnsST/stat...450978817?s=19

Breaking Sunday Times News...
    John Delaney of FAI fails in bid to injunct us reporting an important story about six-figure payment. Full story in @SunTimesIreland in print tomorrow and online from midnight. Exclusive from @marktigheST

Interesting to see how this plays out
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Must be his bar bill 🙄

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Gave a 100k bridging loan to the FAI to help with cash flow. Loan was repaid two months later. (Didn't see a mention if interest was applied)

So the FAI is technically insolvent, or barely above water. How hum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Our hero John.
    Went to court to stop people finding out he's made a balls of running the FAI.
    But we already knew that John 😉

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    That's probably a bit of a jump at present in fairness.

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Gave a 100k bridging loan to the FAI to help with cash flow. Loan was repaid two months later. (Didn't see a mention if interest was applied)

So the FAI is technically insolvent, or barely above water. How hum.
    Many more questions than answers, it appears.
    It could be just a temporary shortage, but then why all the cloak and attempted dagger?
    Is that the accepted and verified account - that he gave a bridging loan to the FAI which was repaid?
    You'd wonder why could the FAI not get a temporary hike on their overdraft? Is 100k that big a deal?
    How did it leak out? And why go to such expensive lengths to suppress the story? That sounds a bit more than a normal JD's pathological affliction for control and secrecy.

Of course the FAI have recently had pay off one of the most expensive manager/assistant manager teams in the history of international football and hire anew.
    To offset that to some degree, it was announced last sept that FAI would receive an extra Eur 500k on top of the expected Nations League prize money.

On a related matter, would the fact that MON and Keane got new jobs, have reduced their pay-off from the FAI?

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    All reasonable questions, for sure.

I think cloak and dagger may just be Delaney's general modus operandi.

This was in April '17, repaid in June (the story goes). Four months later, an obviously failing managerial team were given a new contract before a play-off game which was abjectly lost, costing the FAI millions.

This contract offer looks all the more ill-advised if the FAI was effectively broke when it gave it.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    just a reminder - discuss the facts as they are known, do not post any speculations that could lead to legal action
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

27. Thanks From:

Page 40 of 66 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast