Page 24 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: The John Delaney Thread

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Quite frankly BOTN, that's just emotional agenda nonsense.
    FIFA were not buying anything from the FAI, there was no corrupt quid pro quo.
    Sorry mate

But there is nothing emotional about it at all

IMO its nothing more than a back hander from FIFA

Morals do come into it - but thats just my opinion - each to their own i guess

I had some laugh at JD announcing publicly that he used expletives towards sepp in the office - slightly ironic that he only announces this 5 years after the event and 2 days after sepp resigns
    Last edited by back of the net; 05/06/2015 at 12:49 AM.
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    The whole thing stinks! If Delaney was that adamant that we should get a replay or become the 33rd team at the World Cup he should had stuck to his guns! FIFA more or less gave the FAI hush money to shut us up and to keep us sweet. Anyway you look at it, it's wrong and immoral. It was more or less a bribe. FIFA didn't have to give us a cent. Ok, it was a clear handball but this happens in football. How much did England get for Lampard's disallowed goal against Germany?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Crooks accepting bribes ! Crooks giving bribes ! Quelle surprise !

Delaney is going to have some explaining to do. Was this money on the company accounts ! ? ! ?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    for the FAI to accept such a pitiful pay-off to quash any bad PR is just revolting.
    This is nonsense. We were due nothing from FIFA - bad refereeing decisions happen; they're unfortunate; you have to get over it.

Remember we weren't even qualifying for the World Cup - the game was going to penalties as it stood. Before and after Gallas' goal, we still needed to score one more to qualify over 120 minutes.

So to get E5m where Delaney should have been told to shut his whinging trap is amazing.

Makes me wonder what other elements to the deal there were. And what financial state the FAI would be in now without it.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBlackCat View Post
    Ok, it was a clear handball but this happens in football. How much did England get for Lampard's disallowed goal against Germany?
    Aparently that wasn't the basis for the legal case, but a case against Blatter's unprofessional handling of the situation i.e. taking the p!ss out of us.

Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Delaney is going to have some explaining to do. Was this money on the company accounts ! ? ! ?
    It says it was in the FAI statement, that it went towards the Aviva Stadium and was audited independently. Obviously they should have to produce the statements to prove this.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Interesting article about the blood money. While a little on the emotional side, I think it reflects many supporters point of view.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/co...-31279637.html

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Interesting article about the blood money. While a little on the emotional side, I think it reflects many supporters point of view.

Personally I think it was a great coup. Who here was suggesting that the FAI should sue FIFA ? No one because we didn't have a case. However, the FAI to their credit put pressure on FIFA and were obviously going to cause them great embarrassment and managed to get $5 million out of them as a loan to assist the perilous financial position in which the Association found itself. To call it "blood money" is a joke. As one who was in Paris it eases the pain ever so slightly that at least football here got $5 million and FIFA's failure to move with the times and use technology cost them dearly.

As ever with many people as regards the FAI: "damned if you do, damned if you don't". As in many legal settlements, there is a confidentially clause and FIFA obviously didn't want the whole world to know that they had come to a settlement with the FAI as that would have opened a can of worms. It is my understanding that the loan appeared in the FAI accounts unlike the backhanders the corrupt officials were receiving.

Well done to Delaney as far as I can see.
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 05/06/2015 at 10:31 AM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

9. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Aparently that wasn't the basis for the legal case, but a case against Blatter's unprofessional handling of the situation i.e. taking the p!ss out of us.

It says it was in the FAI statement, that it went towards the Aviva Stadium and was audited independently. Obviously they should have to produce the statements to prove this.
    So the FAI got €5m because Blatter hurt their feelings? Delaney and the FAI deserved to have the p!ss taken out of them for the whole crying over the handball. It was bad enough that we asked for a replay and then asked to be the 33rd team. FIFA didn't owe us a penny. They should have told us to shut up and move on and if the FAI felt that FIFA were taken the p!ss they shouldn't have taken the money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Personally I think it was a great coup. Who here was suggesting that the FAI should sue FIFA ? No one because we didn't have a case. However, the FAI to their credit put pressure on FIFA and were obviously going to cause them great embarrassment and managed to get €5 million out of them as a loan to assist the perilous financial position in which the Association found itself. To call it "blood money" is a joke. As one who was in Paris it eases the pain ever so slightly that at least football here got €5 million and FIFA's failure to move with the times and use technology cost them dearly.

As ever with many people as regards the FAI: "damned if you do, damned if you don't". As in many legal settlements, there is a confidentially clause and FIFA obviously didn't want the whole world to know that they had come to a settlement with the FAI as that would have opened a can of worms. It is my understanding that the loan appeared in the FAI accounts unlike the backhanders the corrupt officials were receiving.

Well done to Delaney as far as I can see.
    100% spot on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post

I think he's being a bit over the top about Henry. I never particularly liked Henry but I can honestly say that the incident didn't make me like him any less, as sickened as I was with the situation overall. I did think he looked liked a clown sitting on the pitch next to Dunne though, trying to save his inevitably damaged reputation a little. The handballs, both of them, were fairly instinctive, it wasn't as if he blatantly dived to win a penalty, which would have been far more common but also far more repulsive. He could have come clean there and then, of course, but it really is a tiny minority that would do that, especially in a situation of that importance. Jesus, the stuff about Dunne and co having to play in a stadium part funded by their heartache is cringing, they were going to have the heartache either way.

The FAI were probably damned if they did, damned if they didn't. I'd like to know what the reaction would be if it was established now that they refused a €5m offer from FIFA. I'm sure many would see it as remiss if they didn't accept the funds for an organisation desperately in need of them. The moral side of it is debatable I think, it could be simply looked at as compensation for getting screwed out of the chance the qualify for the WC. Two wrongs making a right kind of thing, financially at least. I'm not sure there's a whole lot wrong with lashing the lot straight into the biggest project they had going on at the time either, assuming that is the case, even if it would have received more good will by dividing it amongst the clubs or something along those lines. The nature of the funding would have made this difficult anyway. Overall I think the shame is with FIFA for this one, not the FAI.

Edit- only saw OF's post afterwards, no deliberate plagiarism!
    Last edited by DeLorean; 05/06/2015 at 9:26 AM.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    The FAI were probably damned if they did, damned if they didn't.
    I actually don't think they were damned if they didn't.

Game over, handball missed, football world has sympathy for a while....then you just get over it. That's what happens with every crucial bade decision that costs teams.

Then the FAI propose the 33rd team idea, which was laughable, but FIFA's mistake was to publicly laugh at it. Blatter's apology shows he knew it was wrong. And, to the best of everybody's knowledge, it came to an end there. Time to get on with things. I don't think the FAI would have been damned for doing no more at that point.

Except somehow, FIFA decided (for reasons I really can't imagine*) to give the FAI 5 million to go away and be quiet.....FAI and Delaney would be crazy not to take it. Henry Winter in that Indo article says their acceptance of 5 million to be quiet was worse than Henry's 'pollution of the game...contempt and fury' - but I am not sure what it is they could actually make legitimate noise about.

*And I really can't imagine the reasons. What could the legal case have been? I can't think of anything that would have had any merit. Was it bad publicity? I'd say that most neutrals had run out of sympathy for the FAI at that stage - calls for a rematch are grand (but that wasn't going to happen), but the 33rd team idea probably made a lot of people think it was time for the FAI to get over it.

I'm shocked that FIFA offered any money at all, really.
    Last edited by osarusan; 05/06/2015 at 9:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I can't believe nobody has blamed Roy Keane yet for this episode. If we get two bad results we'll be blaming this as a distraction for the players next.....

If FIFA handed out 5m willy nilly for this what else did they give out over the years?

It's shut up money. If the FAI had their house in order they wouldn't need to take €5m to help build a stadium.

“It’s not about money. This is about sporting integrity.” He quickly changed his tune.

15. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    It's shut up money. If the FAI had their house in order they wouldn't need to take €5m to help build a stadium.
    To be fair, they apparently had their funding in order for the stadium until the bust came just as they were trying to flog off the corporate boxes etc in the new stadium. They were far from the only ones to be caught with their pants down.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I'm shocked that FIFA offered any money at all, really.
    Yeah, that's what I can't get my head around either.

If it came out that Delaney was offered E5m and refused it, he'd be vilified too.

Can't really blame him for taking money that was offered to him/the FAI. Just wonder did he have other dirt on Blatter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    If Delanay had said no and then told the world FIFA tried to buy em off he'd have gone up in my estimation.

What's even more pathetic is him making out he was the big man storming into Blatter's office and expletives were used. ******.

Once you take the money you've got no leg to stand on. FIFA will expect your support.
    Last edited by shakermaker1982; 05/06/2015 at 1:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,234 Posts
    Those kind of things can be hard to prove though. You're leaving yourself open to a libel case.

Yeah, the rest of his comments are nonsense obviously.

This is just Delaney acting the big man, kicking Blatter when he's down.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    If Delanay had said no and then told the world FIFA tried to buy em off he'd have gone up in my estimation.
    'buy em off'...but what exactly is it that FIFA were buying? I mean what would Delaney have told the world? 'FIFA offered us 5 million to stop mentioning the play-off, but we refuse to stop?'

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    It goes to show the kind of money that was sloshing around Fifa when they can drop 5 million euro to the FAI at the drop of a hat.

It is real Mafia stuff.

"The Irish were disrespected "….."Drop them 5 million to respect their disrespect"

As the "Corleonis" would say…"Its business"…..Maybe Don Delaney is lucky that he is not sleeping with the Fishes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    There would have been minutes of the meeting I'm presuming and a proper agreement in place just before this crazy deal was signed. This would have caused a massive **** storm at the time if it was leaked. You don't wire €5m across and no questions are asked from a governance perspective.

If a contractor/organisation starts offering me cash and I did have the morals of a politician/Mafia crime boss I'm presuming there would be a tacit admission that I wouldn't rock the boat here on in. You've gotta tow the party line - there won't be anything written down on paper (I'm guessing -though Delaney and FIFA are so fking stupid it wouldn't surprise me) but you don't take £5m and then act the spoilt and jilted lover.

We probably only know 1% of what has gone on (worldwide). I imagine this is is the tip of the iceberg.....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    'buy em off'...but what exactly is it that FIFA were buying? I mean what would Delaney have told the world? 'FIFA offered us 5 million to stop mentioning the play-off, but we refuse to stop?'
    Votes? It's the FIFA way. FAI were outraged by the handball and no doubt would have voted against Blatter and his crew in the next elections. It's real mafia stuff. Keep the little guy happy. Just look how they manage to keep the African and Asian nations happy.

It's like something in a mobster movie. The little guy is acting up, so pay the little guy some money to keep quiet. Let's show we're nice guys. Basically, FIFA 'Delaneyed' the FAI.

Page 24 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast