Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 66 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: The John Delaney Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    BTW the new UKIP MP Mark Reckless thinks people from the Irish Republic aren't immigrants in Britain. Prob as his Ma's from Sligo and her Da was a FF TD.
    Off topic, but this is nothing new from UKIP. Farage is on record as saying that any Irish living in the UK wouldn't be subjected to forced repatrioting, as they considered Ireland to be part of the UK anyway.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I'm glad he thinks that. But God bless him a cursory glance at the law indicates as much. Irish Citizens in Britain aren't "alien" and have the same rights automatically as British citizens do. Except a vote in a "constitutional" referendum. Which is as a result of that imposition being placed on British citizens here for referenda and Presidential elections. It has been ever thus since 1949 and Costello's trip to Canada.

But you knew that. As foreign as Jonesboro and Ravensdale are to each in comparison to the undoubted similarity of Fermanagh (and Antrim, Derry, Down, Tyrone Armagh) to Finchley.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    What's the comparison? what are you alluding to?
    How it was recognised that behaviour in public has consequences for such figures and some see the need to fall on their own sword.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    We found this little ditty useful as an aide-memoire back in the day:

Sands made a stand
    Hughes got the Blues
    McCreesh made a speech
    O'Hara went too far-a
    McDonnell the new O'Connell
    Hurson there in person
    Lynch was a cinch
    Doherty so naughty
    McElwee running free
    Devine serving time

EJ Gather Round, aged 19 1/4

Any accusations of apartheid were absurd, crass even, probably best ignored.

There's unlikely to be a highly-charged atmosphere at the England game- circumstances aren't really comparable with 1995.

Give the guy a break, he's given you an all-Ireland team (if helped out by the occasional Englishman or Scot)...

Indeed. Irish paramilitarism, it's much more of a problem in Glasgow. At least that Rangers guy could sing, he's a spit of the bloke who fronted 70s hitmakers Mungo Jerry.

I doubt the IFA have a problem with you finding some good players in Monaghan, although giving them a club to play for might be a start.

BTW the new UKIP MP Mark Reckless thinks people from the Irish Republic aren't immigrants in Britain. Prob as his Ma's from Sligo and her Da was a FF TD.
    Except you made up that 'ditty' today...and unsure of the relevance of the rest to JD. Talk about laboured points...

Though I suppose the North too have as many 'Eng.' & 'Scots' players too these days...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Off topic, but this is nothing new from UKIP. Farage is on record as saying that any Irish living in the UK wouldn't be subjected to forced repatrioting, as they considered Ireland to be part of the UK anyway.
    Ah, God bless their patronisng attitude to their former illegal Empire.
    Gross Hypocrisy by them of course, when it comes to skin colour...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Noooooooooooooooooo. I dont mind a song to represent both sides, but please can we get rid of that dirge!
    I think geysir was being a slight bit sarcastic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post
    I heard it. Of course some cynics out there will say its a pathetic attempt to divert attention from the sing song and to court favourable PR and public opinion regarding the ( in poor taste) comments posted on another forum re his partner.

I wouldn't say that though.
    What would you say it is? It's a text-book deflection; the appeal for pity.

His old ex-IFA buddy, Jim Boyce, has been having a go too: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-30775744.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Boyce
    I am totally shocked and saddened that someone I have known for many years should get involved in such stupidity. This type of behaviour from the chief executive of the Football Association of Ireland has to be condemned.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    In fairness Boyce has a point. Some people may look upon Joe McDonnell and the Hunger Strikers as Freedom Fighters others will say they are terrorist. It's a bit like the 'No Surrender' song at the Scotland v England game. England fans claim it's a defiant song about standing up terrorism while many say it's anti-Irish and is to cause offence towards the Irish. As the CEO of the FAI one of his jobs is to build links with other associations and groups. For being 'one of the boys' he has tarished the FAI image (no laugh!). We live in a politically correct society now days so anything like this will cause offence. Delaney should have known this. It's ok for a group of lads to sing a Republican song in public (even if I don't agree with them) but for a CEO who loves the limelight......

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    As CEO of the FAI part of the unwritten job description is to portray the organisation and the sport in a good light. He repeatedly fails to do this. There is a degree of diplomacy required too, maintaining relations with organisations such as the IFA, the SFA, the FA etc. It is absolutely ridiculous to say that the sing song was a private affair. He is an instantly recognisable public figure, even more so after he hired a publicist to get him noticed in the social sections of the papers.

He was singing in a pub adjacent to the stadium, full of Irish football fans after an Irish international game. There is no way on earth he can expect this situation to be considered not public.

Dignity, decorum and judgment were all absent from his behaviour. His efforts to deflect attention using his partner smacks of desperation.

I see both Boyce and Regan have criticised his actions. Even if they are being over sensitive (debatable) his actions have given them something to complain about and something to tarnish the image of Irish football with.

I personally have no issue with rebel songs (I actually don't really know any myself apart from The Fields or On The One Road - are they even rebel songs?) and he shouldn't have to apologise for his political views, but singing that song in public displayed very bad judgment. On top of the other issues, many of his own customers and members would not share his Republican politics and his actions suggest to me that in some way he thinks that being an Irish football fan goes hand in hand with an empathy towards the rebel song scene. It doesn't.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 26/11/2014 at 1:51 PM.

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I think geysir was being a slight bit sarcastic.
    I figured but one can never tell with Geysir

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I'm glad he thinks that. But God bless him a cursory glance at the law indicates as much. Irish Citizens in Britain aren't "alien" and have the same rights automatically as British citizens do. Except a vote in a "constitutional" referendum. Which is as a result of that imposition being placed on British citizens here for referenda and Presidential elections. It has been ever thus since 1949 and Costello's trip to Canada.

But you knew that. As foreign as Jonesboro and Ravensdale are to each in comparison to the undoubted similarity of Fermanagh (and Antrim, Derry, Down, Tyrone Armagh) to Finchley.
    Pretty much correct. Irish citizens in the UK are not treated as foreign. They are granted settled status also known as 'indefinite leave to remain' upon setting foot in the country.

As far as I'm aware, British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens are entitled to vote in all British election including referenda. They don't have the same restrictions that we place on non-Irish citizens in our referenda.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I personally have no issue with rebel songs (I actually don't really know any myself apart from The Fields or On The One Road - are they even rebel songs?) and he shouldn't have to apologise for his political views, but singing that song in public displayed very bad judgment. On top of the other issues, many of his own customers and members would not share his Republican politics and his actions suggest to me that in some way he thinks that being an Irish football fan goes hand in hand with an empathy towards the rebel song scene. It doesn't
    It might be helpful to distinguish songs by period before everyone gets too carried away (over on OWC the righteous indignation is now calling for a bestial punishment involving James McClean and the curried yogurt of a ritually slaughtered goat).

Pre-Independence paramilitarism (up to say 1926): acceptable, even obligatory as proof of your proud Republican credentials

Post-independence: slightly more risque, acceptable on a lads' night out or on wor Jack's team coach, but not in mixed or polite company. Like f*rting at Mass, really

NI Troubles since 1969: defo infra-dig under any circumstances

Similar could apply to American C & W as mentioned by Geysir. Civil War and Vietnam tunes in the first two categories, anything mentioning bombing Iraq or Afghan in the third.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    (over on OWC the righteous indignation is now calling for a bestial punishment involving James McClean and the curried yogurt of a ritually slaughtered goat).
    I'm glad I have no access to it for once. It'd probably turn me pro-Delaney!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    FAI President's statement: http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/stat...f-of-fai-board

Comprehensive.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    FAI President's statement: http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/stat...f-of-fai-board

Comprehensive.
    Holy sh!t. That's a pretty terrible statement by anyone's standards. Jesus wept.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Contract extension until 2020 so even if gets a push the FAI wont be able to afford to get rid bout 2mil if he was sacked tomorrow! Who awards 6 yr contracts except to ones self, he is some boyo...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Why the mention of the cyber bullying? I'd ,one to know how extensive it was anyway.

I would guess that JD is personally costing the FAI a fortune. I know so many people who have given up on attending Irish football because of how they think the FAI is running the game. He is a walking PR disaster for the association.

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Why the mention of the cyber bullying? I'd ,one to know how extensive it was anyway.

I would guess that JD is personally costing the FAI a fortune. I know so many people who have given up on attending Irish football because of how they think the FAI is running the game. He is a walking PR disaster for the association.
    Well said Stutts! When I looked at YBIG last week, someone mentioned that Philip Browne from the IRFU is on about 200K. He is the type of chief we need, low profile, effective and good with the media. I would say Delaney's expense account details would start a riot if it ever became public. He is what we don't need, someone whose public profile takes away from the organisation and is seen to be Putin like. Imagine if he and Roy could make babies!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It might be helpful to distinguish songs by period before everyone gets too carried away (over on OWC the righteous indignation is now calling for a bestial punishment involving James McClean and the curried yogurt of a ritually slaughtered goat).

Pre-Independence paramilitarism (up to say 1926): acceptable, even obligatory as proof of your proud Republican credentials

Post-independence: slightly more risque, acceptable on a lads' night out or on wor Jack's team coach, but not in mixed or polite company. Like f*rting at Mass, really

NI Troubles since 1969: defo infra-dig under any circumstances

Similar could apply to American C & W as mentioned by Geysir. Civil War and Vietnam tunes in the first two categories, anything mentioning bombing Iraq or Afghan in the third.
    Think you might be over-thinking this one. I'd make one broad distinction, between the period when the British state was habitually murdering Irish people and the period after. So Joe McDonnell is fair game, Pearse McAuley not so much.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Lads, there's a current affairs forum if you want to discuss the affiliation of various Irish folk songs, let's keep the discussion on Delaney here, ok?

28. Thanks From:

Page 7 of 66 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast