Page 29 of 66 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: The John Delaney Thread

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

I would imagine the FAI have signed up to FIFA/UEFA rules, whatever they are.
    A wide-ranging and all-powerful Participation Agreement, if you like

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The FAI had no legal case whatsoever. I think we should be clear on that point.
    only a court can decide that. are you privy to the entry forms / contracts that competing teams enter into with FIFA?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    A wide-ranging and all-powerful Participation Agreement, if you like
    That's the one I was thinking of!

Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    only a court can decide that. are you privy to the entry forms / contracts that competing teams enter into with FIFA?
    No, common sense can work out quite a lot of stuff.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Silence is golden the last week...

Mr Delaney did not respond to calls for comment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    obviously the handball is no basis for a legal case but what about the seeding issue?
    can you change the rules (ie seed the play-off draw) at a stage when the competition had already almost run its course based on no seeding for the draw and not expect some sort of legal threat?
    The seeding was only plucked out of thin air as an issue (in order to give the impression of a stronger case) by Delaney late on in a verbal, televised interview with RTÉ after the suggestion that the hand-ball would have warranted the legal pay-out was widely ridiculed. Clearly he was making it up as he went along considering the seeding issue was not mentioned at all in the primary document released in the FAI's second statement on the matter; this was the document Delaney was holding (pointing to) and spoke of when he told RTÉ viewers that the "reputational damage" and seeding claims were covered in it. There was no mention of these later claims, introduced after the fact, in the document at all. The only complaint listed was the referee's missing of the handball.

Also, as I wrote here:

Surely, by happily participating in and completing the qualifying play-off without prior objection, it would have fatally undermined any potential future claim against the format by which the opponents were decided anyhow?

One would also have to imagine that FIFA, with their very capable and exceptionally well-paid legal department, would have reserved certain rights for themselves in internal documents exchanged between themselves and all participating associations with regard to deciding the format of the entire qualification process, including the play-off games, or potentially tweaking the format between qualification stages. Such would have completely nullified any validity in an FAI claim on this particular matter.
    I further wrote:

If FIFA supposedly understood then (on the claimed basis that the FAI’s legal case was strong) that the late introduction of seeding for the play-offs was a breach of competition rules, why was seeding introduced again for the UEFA play-offs for qualification for the 2014 World Cup?
    Was the seeding for the 2014 play-offs introduced late in the day too? Or was it part of the rules from the outset? This article, published in October of 2013, is worded as if it's breaking news and would suggest the announcement was indeed late on: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/world...y-off-seeding/

I've been led to beleive this may not be correct though and can't recall for certainty. I've had great difficulty trying to track down the regulations specific to UEFA qualifying for the 2014 World Cup. Can't find them. Could anyone help?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Was the seeding for the 2014 play-offs introduced late in the day too? Or was it part of the rules from the outset?
    From memory, it was an open issue at the start of the campaign, and only clarified late on.

So at the start, it was known that it was unknown.

From memory, as I say. Could well be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I honestly don't see why a general inquiry couldn't be called. Not so much on the basis of our performance but because so many governance red flags are being waved by an institution that receives public funds. If the GAA can be called up over some retired country and western singer, why not Delaney over the perception that he runs Irish football in exactly the same way Blatter ran FIFA?
    It appears that the Oireachtas committee's decision not to summon Delaney was a U-turn after Delaney contacted personally by phone at least eight of its members on either Monday or Tuesday: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-31294133.html

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel McConnell and Niall O'Connor
    The Oireachtas Transport and Sport committee yesterday voted against the move, despite strong protests from a cohort of young Fine Gael TDs.

During a tense private meeting, the clerk of the committee said he believed bringing in Mr Delaney may be outside its remit.

Nonetheless, almost the entire Fine Gael delegation claimed it would be helpful for Mr Delaney to appear, given the public concern surrounding the events leading to the €5m payment in 2010. Mr Griffin told the committee that a "dangerous precedent" had now been set in Irish politics.

Details of the payment, made following the controversial handball by Thierry Henry, plunged the FAI into days of controversy. At the weekend, both Sinn Féin and Labour members of the committee indicated their desire for Mr Delaney to appear to answer questions on the payment.

But the two parties, along with Fianna Fáil and Independent TD Michael Fitzmaurice, yesterday expressed their opposition to the move.

Several of those against, including Fianna Fáil's Timmy Dooley and Sinn Féin's Dessie Ellis, said they did not believe it was necessary for Mr Delaney's planned appearance.

But the u-turn came after Mr Delaney personally phoned some committee members and other Government politicians expressing concern about appearing. Eight TDs, who are all committee members, confirmed to the Irish Independent that they received phone calls either on Monday or Tuesday.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Is there a theme here? Those reluctant to scrutinise Delaney after his personal pleas not to intervene are cut from the same darker green strain of Irish nationalism that JD himself proclaims to be cut from? Wolfe Toney type Irish versus 21st century Irish?

Surely in any normal democracy any marginal decision whether to scrutinise a guy in (quasi) public office should be accelerated if the same guy contacts the responsible politicians and asks them to butt out? Effing banana republic.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Not sure about the sharing-of-ideology/politics theory. I suppose it's a possibility, but are nationalists and republicans known to favour Delaney more than, say, Fine Gaelers, post-nationalists or whoever. (Is that the distinction you're making or are you distinguishing between Wolfe Tone's completely civic-secular republicanism and the popular modern-day, ethnic-tinged republicanism of a Gaelic hue?) Is there a pattern? I think one would have to be an idiot if they allowed the sharing with him of just one particular political aspiration (albeit a significant one in Irish history) to cloud their overall judgment of the man. He's a complete gombeen. For an elected public servant acting as part of an impartial body to allow their personal biases take priority would be a complete dereliction of democratic duty.

I wholeheartedly agree with your second point though. His asking of them to postpone it (as if he had some sort of right to a say in their decisions) because there was a match on this weekend was utterly brazen. To actually ring them up personally was similarly galling. What a brass neck. That it may have influenced the committee is outrageous.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Can you explain the bit between brackets please? A bit too complicated for me!
    I just think a rural, dark-green Irish gombeen (and a self-admitted potential FF candidate) getting let off the hook by FF / SF types plays neatly into this 1990s urban Irish emigrant's political pigeon holes.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    What are the grounds for some td asking Delaney on behalf of the FAI, to answer questions about a dangerous precedent?
    They make public their prejudiced judgement, that not only is this a precedent but that this precedent is dangerous.
    What morons are there in the Dail?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    What morons are there in the Dail?
    http://www.oireachtas.ie/members-his...um=31&disp=mem

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    That's a bit too literal Charlie

but I see or read that the "dangerous precedent" reference was about the supposition that Delaney somehow wangled his way out of appearing in front of these self important overpaid asses.
    What was the dangerous precedent that was about to set, that Delaney offered them a 10 year ticket? what grubby quid pro quo are they implying that Delaney supposedly engineered to wangle himself out of this high powered, Garth Brooks public concern type tribunal?
    Yet another devious and dastardly blow was deftly struck by the likes of Delaney against the warriors who are only out to protect the public interest from all dangerous precedents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Can you explain the bit between brackets please? A bit too complicated for me!
    I just think a rural, dark-green Irish gombeen (and a self-admitted potential FF candidate) getting let off the hook by FF / SF types plays neatly into this 1990s urban Irish emigrant's political pigeon holes.
    Ha, I think I was just needlessly complicating what you'd said and reading more meaning into it that you intended.

I wasn't sure if, by "Wolfe Toney type Irish", you meant simply nationalists and republicans as a whole or whether you meant only those nationalists and republicans who, like Wolfe Tone did, advocate a purely civic and secular form of republican politics in keeping their cultural identity - be it Anglo-Irish, Gaelic, Catholic, Protestant or whatever - strictly separate. I think you kind of meant something else altogether though; would “Charlie Haughey types” be an appropriate label for who you were referring to?

And then by "21st century Irish", I wasn't sure if you were referring to 21st century mainstream Irish republicanism, which is generally associated with one ethno-religious group - the culturally Catholic and Gaelic - (as opposed to Wolfe Tone's classical version) or whether you were referring to modern, more-diverse and transparent Ireland generally. I think you were referring to the latter.

I was uncertain of the meaning you intended in your use of the noble and mythologised Wolfe Tone's name. I wasn't sure of the gist of what you were saying as his name is most often used in a reverential sort of sense but you were employing it with a negative connotation. I gather it was to refer to the small-time myopic gombeens who may eulogise him in folk songs and the like but who, in reality, probably share very little in common with him and his ideals?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Not post-Nationalism... that phrase Danny, that phrase! The horror!
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    As you kind of spotted Danny, I was referring to the band, not the political figure! I was crudely pigeon holing all people who sing political songs in pubs as FF/SF types. CJH types might indeed have been more descriptive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Not post-Nationalism... that phrase Danny, that phrase! The horror!
    If you have an even worse phrase to inflict upon them, I'm all ears!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    SFA chief applauds his own association for keeping their heads down and remaining quiet whilst doing things the right way by loudly and publicly mouthing off to the media his issues with Delaney and the FAI: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...-takes-5854226

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Record
    “It has been a challenging week for the FAI in lots of ways. I’ve always worked under the assumption if you haven’t got anything positive to say then keep your mouth shut.

“The FAI have chosen to speak on a number of different fronts, recently and last November, and we’ve just got on quietly and prepared for the match and we’ll continue to do that.
    He does make fair points though otherwise in relation to the FAI's supposed "legal claim" against FIFA and the show Delaney made of himself last time the sides met. Delaney's bleating in November was embarrassing, and then to shun the customary official function hosted by the SFA the night before the game when the SFA were not even remotely in the wrong... Jesus.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    If you have an even worse phrase to inflict upon them, I'm all ears!
    I do. But it would be stopped by the bad word man. Rhymes with runts.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    915 Posts
    Hunt grunts, punts? Sounds more like MON's tactics.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Page 29 of 66 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast