Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 16 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: The John Delaney Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The balance of criticism of Delaney is getting bogged down in style, not substance which is much more important,
    I think most would acknowledge that, but would be happy to let it slide for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Nah, the SFA did right by their fans and restricted Ireland to their rightful allocation. I'd be disappointed if the roles were reversed and the FAI hadn't done the same.
    I have to agree. Why should the FAI provide for the SFA extra tickets beyond the mandatory allocation simply because the SFA want more when thousands of Irish fans would gladly have them? Irish fans are the FAI's priority.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Nothing brings you fine chilly chaps together more than a non scandal.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Nothing brings you fine chilly chaps together more than a non scandal.
    It's actually fairly mild here tonight. Can't speak for Iceland though

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Nah, the SFA did right by their fans and restricted Ireland to their rightful allocation. I'd be disappointed if the roles were reversed and the FAI hadn't done the same.
    Except they didn't. At least double the official allocation got into the home sections.

Geysir's points stands (a good post. Sorry Fly!!!) whilst a good no. of Celts (& Alba fans) suggested we should have had the 7k away allocation that CP is set up to facilitate, all be it to accomodate our exact nemesis...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Except they didn't. At least double the official allocation got into the home sections.

Geysir's points stands (a good post. Sorry Fly!!!) whilst a good no. of Celts (& Alba fans) suggested we should have had the 7k away allocation that CP is set up to facilitate, all be it to accomodate our exact nemesis...
    Stop standing up for JD lad

The SFA made sure the bloc of Irish fans was as small as they could make it, and the rest of the Irish fans were spread around the surrounding sections so they could be less effective as a unit. That's fair enough in my eyes. Again, I'd expect the FAI to do exactly the same and I'd be disappointed if they let Scotland have it their own way. Delaney's criticism and boycotting their dinner was pathetic.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Except I'm not even talking about JD. Just the SFA who're full of pish, as are the FAI and who'll be even less effective at stopping 20k Scots (or Poles) at getting into Lansdowne...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Except I'm not even talking about JD. Just the SFA who're full of pish, as are the FAI and who'll be even less effective at stopping 20k Scots (or Poles) at getting into Lansdowne...
    The Scots and Poles will be entitled to, what, 2.5k tickets in Lansdowne? Would you be happy if the FAI gave them 5k off the bat in a closed-off section?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    It's late and I'm far too tired to do anything about it right now, but suffice it to say anyone who's posted anything which goes against the rules I've posted in the last few days might want to delete or edit their posts before 3pm Sunday.

The clock is very much ticking gentleman and ladies

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    The Scots and Poles will be entitled to, what, 2.5k tickets in Lansdowne? Would you be happy if the FAI gave them 5k off the bat in a closed-off section?
    The Germans got 5k last time, plus another 1k or so dotted around the rest of the stadium. It's up to the Guards ultimately as they have to determine access and the like.

And what rules have been broken now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The Germans got 5k last time, plus another 1k or so dotted around the rest of the stadium. It's up to the Guards ultimately as they have to determine access and the like.
    Well then the FAI let us down, again. Our major international games should be cordoned off for our supporters, regardless.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Really? When we can barely fill the ground, on most occasions, with our own fans...

That's exactly why we should have kept Croke for most of the big games...almost unlimited space for away fans and far better access for all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    We fill the ground for big games, which is my point. I'd say we'd fill more games if they were better priced. That's not my point though - my point is not giving an advantage to the opposition team by allowing them to dictate allocation.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    But they're not. Their fans will buy what they like via Ticketmaster...regardless.

There's only one imminent match which worries me like that and it's not Alba or Polska...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Except that goes against conventional wisdom, in terms of club and international football...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Slightly bizarre take on things here by Michael Walker

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...2019304?page=1

Are calls for an AI team met with "something more than verbal abuse"? It depends who he asks I suppose, but I'd like to see that claim substantiated.

I personally have no appetite to share my football team with hard core loyalists, and nor do they want to share a team with me. And GR says it eloquently: why should his team be abolished?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Are calls for an AI team met with "something more than verbal abuse"? It depends who he asks I suppose, but I'd like to see that claim substantiated.
    Amongst NI fans, I think you might get a "wise up" or a "wind your neck in" at the height of it, because it's seen as a wind-up and not taken seriously. Amongst our own fans, some would have reservations, but many would also be cautiously open to the prospect, if not outright enthusiastic about it (ignoring the fact our team is already all-island representative). I don't think suggesting a single island team would provoke any significant degree of vitriol from either though. If, however, it somehow became a very realistic possibility and the NI team was facing abolition, I'd imagine NI fans growing significantly more agitated than our own fans and than they are about it now.

I personally have no appetite to share my football team with hard core loyalists, and nor do they want to share a team with me.
    Of course, they remain steadfastly against "footballing apartheid in Ireland", but only on their terms and so long as partition is retained... I'm not sure I'd have the appetite for it either, as romantic the notion of a single united team would be. But things can change and politics would have to lead the way in settling constitutional matters to the satisfaction of most people in Ireland (including the unionist minority in the north-east of the island) first.

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I personally have no appetite to share my football team with hard core loyalists, and nor do they want to share a team with me. And GR says it eloquently: why should his team be abolished?
    Except you (& the rest of the island) already share teams in cricket, rugby, boxing, golf etc.

As for whether any of the 4 Brit colonial soccer teams should exist, is purely down to the generosity of FIFA etc.
    Only mentioned umpteen times on here previously...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    ...the well publicised behaviour of Celtic & Rangers fans when representing their clubs abroad ..
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ic/3189853.stm
    [COLOR=#0066cc]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7401814.stm

[/COLOR]

Same event, same news service.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrocket View Post
    Pah, is that mere evidence? You'll need to come up with something better than that for TOWK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Pah, is that mere evidence? You'll need to come up with something better than that for TOWK.
    I understand hearsay and conjecture are kinds of evidence, would that suffice?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 16 of 66 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast