Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 66 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: The John Delaney Thread

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Really? I've only viewed the League and Club sections of the forum 3 or 4 times since I became a member so I can't attest to that at all. I'm only going by the statistics provided alongside each subsection, but certainly my impression has always been that they are more active than the International section.

I mostly agree with your latter point. It is hard to gauge how representative online forums are of a wider support base and it's probably only the likes of redcafe which can make such a claim or at least provide a narrative on certain issues.
    I don't think any online forum is representative, to be honest. We're the people with a greater interest in the specific goings-on of Irish football, but we're the minority.

As for foot.ie, there are many more threads in this forum bumped every day than in the LOI forums and the bigger threads have greater participation than anything the LOI forum could muster. Which is not surprising given the relative levels of interest in Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I don't think any online forum is representative, to be honest. We're the people with a greater interest in the specific goings-on of Irish football, but we're the minority.
    I'm going off on tangent now but I would suggest that certain club forums may be representative to a degree given the stronger and more consistent level of interest in the club game.

As for foot.ie, there are many more threads in this forum bumped every day than in the LOI forums and the bigger threads have greater participation than anything the LOI forum could muster. Which is not surprising given the relative levels of interest in Ireland.
    I'll have to take your word for that given the reasons outlined in my previous post. Thanks for info though.
    Last edited by The Fly; 29/11/2014 at 4:55 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    I'm going off on tangent now but I would suggest that certain club forums may be representative to a degree given the stronger and more consistent level of interest in the club game.
    I'd say they're still pretty specific. I think if you're going to get an accurate gauge of how people feel, you have to go out of forums. Much as I'm loath to admit it, Paul O'Shea has a point when he says the opinions on here aren't consistent with the fan at the matches. Any forum is liable to fall into a form of groupthink, and when you have ultra-charismatic figures like myself and geysir around well people are bound to be influenced by our superior opinions.

For instance, the eligibility thread is probably the biggest thread on this forum, but I wager it's not an important consideration to the majority of Irish football fans - they just want the best footballers around playing for Ireland, whether it's Curtis Davies or Mark Noble or Seamus Coleman. In foot.ie's case, I'd say we have a fairly even split of domestic fans, Irish-based fans with no affiliation to an Irish club, and ex-pats.

Likewise, the consensus on here for some time has been that Delaney is a waster, and that's a common opinion around the country, but it's only recently it's been an issue for YBIG, and I'd say the greater quantity of Irish football fans who don't post on forums would have a more favourable opinion of him because he has a little bit of charisma and is a country boy come good. Add to that the much less appreciated aspect that the power and influence in Irish football is disproportionately represented in areas where the sport isn't actually particularly popular - the same areas that tend to get the benefit of grants and FAI funding - you can see why he has the power he does.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Id love to meet the guy, perhaps Ardee cud help me set up a meeting.
    What Fly & Chuck? They are two people AFAIK...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts

I was at a concert in my daughter's school on Thursday night. She's new there and I don't know many of the parents. I got talking to one guy and very quickly we both went off on a tangent, football related but more to do with football politics. It turned out he was part of Greg Dyke's commission into changing English football to be more advantageous for English players - you know, the EPL B teams to be entered into the lower leagues etc. I mentioned my idea of inviting some B teams into the LOI and he said it was something that was actually considered. We agreed that it was nice to meet someone else interested in talking about footbal beyond "my team's better than yours".

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Imaginative, though can see a few heads on here complaining...

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I mentioned my idea of inviting some B teams into the LOI and he said it was something that was actually considered.
    EPL B teams in the LOI?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Yep, it was something I mentioned here several months ago, around the time it was announced that the FA Commission recommended they play in the English League One or Two. A couple of the LOI fans here (bennocelt and Nigel?) thought it was a decent idea!

Anyway, a topic for another thread. I was just drawing a similarity between the type of thing we debate here and my conversation on Thursday - prompted by CD's comment above about "the specific goings on".

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Yep, it was something I mentioned here several months ago, around the time it was announced that the FA Commission recommended they play in the English League One or Two. A couple of the LOI fans here (bennocelt and Nigel?) thought it was a decent idea!

Anyway, a topic for another thread. I was just drawing a similarity between the type of thing we debate here and my conversation on Thursday - prompted by CD's comment above about "the specific goings on".
    I did! Was I drunk?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I was at a concert in my daughter's school on Thursday night. She's new there and I don't know many of the parents. I got talking to one guy and very quickly we both went off on a tangent, football related but more to do with football politics. It turned out he was part of Greg Dyke's commission into changing English football to be more advantageous for English players - you know, the EPL B teams to be entered into the lower leagues etc. I mentioned my idea of inviting some B teams into the LOI and he said it was something that was actually considered. We agreed that it was nice to meet someone else interested in talking about footbal beyond "my team's better than yours".
    The FAI had considered inviting the 'B' teams of English Premier League clubs into the LOI or the FA had considered approaching the FAI about it?

More crucially though, whose team was better?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    "Marginalising Protestant fans how exactly? Do you feel marginalised, Bonnie? Irish republicanism isn't anti-Protestant, nor is it pro-Catholic. It's an entirely secular ideology."

Irish republicanism and anti-Protestantism often go hand in hand, and are often times intrinsic, unfortunately.

There would be a lot of consternation if Jim Boyce was stupid enough to get caught singing The Sash or Billy Boys so all things equal...

Anthony Stokes got a lot of flak for his supposed sympathies but what do you call this?

Delaney's actions aren't that malicious but they are incredibly stupid considering his position as chief executive of the FAI, taking into account the well publicised behaviour of Celtic & Rangers fans when representing their clubs abroad and keeping in mind the Josip Simunic incident.

As for YBIG. They finally got mainstream attention because of the stupidity of the people that contribute to that forum, they finally got caught and they apologised. Hopefully they will finally implement some firmer moderation on that site. Some of the stuff people (including the mods) come out with on that forum would get them sued if they said it on Twitter. Hopefully it's a wake up call for them.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 29/11/2014 at 5:10 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Irish republicanism and anti-Protestantism often go hand in hand, and are often times intrinsic, unfortunately.
    Hardly ever tbf in my experience. Most republicans aren't that ignorant.

There would be a lot of consternation if Jim Boyce was stupid enough to get caught singing The Sash or Billy Boys so all things equal...
    Unlikely, given his club is Cliftonville? Though their few fans on here may tell us otherwise.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    They really don't. There's not much that can be said in addition to that. Sure some people resort to terms such as "Papist" or "Prod" when referring to Republicans/Nationalists or Unionists/Loyalists but they aren't the majority and it's hardly often and rarely serious. I'm sure you think all Republicans are "Up the Ra-shouting Celtic tracksuit wearing idiots" and all Loyalists are Willy Frazer.

Of course they would. But Jim is not a moron.

Anthony Stokes got a lot of flak for his supposed sympathies but what do you call this?
    Irrelevant. Was Ray Kennedy abusing Anthony?

Delaney's actions aren't that malicious but they are incredibly stupid considering his position as chief executive of the FAI, taking into account the well publicised behaviour of Celtic & Rangers fans when representing their clubs abroad and keeping in mind the Josip Simunic incident.
    This is the point, Delaney's actions were stupid. Nothing malicious was ever implied or inferred.

Keeping in mind the Simunic incident I haven't seen how you can compare the two.

Have you managed to find maliciousness?

Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Hardly ever tbf in my experience. Most republicans aren't that ignorant.
    Ah sure, what would your experience or my experience or any other's experience matter, when TOWK can just make stuff up?

Unlikely, given his club is Cliftonville? Though their few fans on here may tell us otherwise.
    And the fact he's not a total idiot.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 29/11/2014 at 8:03 PM.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Amen to that Bonnie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Something is either intrinsic to another thing or it isn't, and anti-Protestantism is not intrinsic to Irish republicanism. [I have removed some of the more political content and posted it here instead as I suspect tets isn't too keen on seeing it in this thread.] Even if what you said above were actually true, it wouldn't make Delaney's singing of 'Joe McDonnell' an anti-Protestant gesture.

Godwin's law?... I think you're blowing things out of proportion a bit now.

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    You're wasted on here Danny...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/201...with-john.html

Few thoughts on the whole story from the Scotland tickets allocation to now for anyone interested.
    Irish Football Blog - A False First XI - http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/

Twitter: @afalsefirstxi

To Follow on Facebook go to:https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Good work as ever TC.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    If we had not lost to Scotland, just how much of the content would have a different edge to it. Drums?

The balance of criticism of Delaney is getting bogged down in style, not substance which is much more important, add to that all the whining and a ton of scapegoating him for all the ills in irish football.
    Just how a measly 3,000 or so tickets were distributed and not handled well overall, is an issue, but that's about all.
    Delaney had a point, the FAI should have gotten more tickets for the FAI to distribute themselves for the one area in the grounds. The SFA went out of their way to prevent Irish supporters getting tickets and made sure the one single area populated by Irish fans was not very large and that whole attitude was personified by Strachan himself, who basically dictated that the SFA do everything in its power to prevent irish supporters getting tickets, and this was borne out by every action that followed.
    Was that the worst treatment since Paris 1980 when fans were deliberately scattered around the ground to affect their impact? Just because it's the SFA's right to just offer less than the bare minimum cooperation, in no way excuses their attitude.
    There is a standard by associations all over Europe to accommodate the visiting support. Even in the Europa league competition, on occasions when tickets are in high demand, you will see the visiting fans being treated generously with ticket allocations, time and time again.

Delaney use to be on top of these issues and also the superficial PR issues, but since he's got connected with that bimbo he's lost the plot and made poor decisions.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Delaney had a point, the FAI should have gotten more tickets for the FAI to distribute themselves for the one area in the grounds. The SFA went out of their way to prevent Irish supporters getting tickets and made sure the one single area populated by Irish fans was not very large and that whole attitude was personified by Strachan himself, who basically dictated that the SFA do everything in its power to prevent irish supporters getting tickets, and this was borne out by every action that followed.
    Nah, the SFA did right by their fans and restricted Ireland to their rightful allocation. I'd be disappointed if the roles were reversed and the FAI hadn't done the same.

Page 15 of 66 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast