Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 66 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: The John Delaney Thread

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    Dressed as a cuddy teddy bear? lol
    He doesn't need to dress up apparently.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    she works in PR - they're given extensive training on securing their social media accounts
    Anybody can put up a brass nameplate and call themselves a PR consultant. But – and stating a bias here: I’m a member – joining the PRII (https://www.prii.ie/ ) is one indicator of a PR person’s view of their role. There are educational or experience requirements to meet before applying, which weeds out those who call their work PR, but are primarily in puff and low-level promotions. Of course, a lot of good people don’t join and, as of today, EE isn’t listed as a member.

One thing PR professionals do is avoid becoming the story. The best have no public profile, but are known to every journalist in their field. I’ve taught PR/pol comms to over 1,000 students over c.15 years and afaik, only one became a media story (for writing the worst press release in Wales, iirc!)

Using cyberbullying as a smokescreen was risky, but clever: it confused the narrative. The hounding of a photogenic young businesswoman is a juicier story than the downplayed ‘man sings song’. (Incidentally, it’s not an approach I’d take or suggest – but them’s my ethics.)

Meanwhile the backlash against Emmet Malone smacks of orchestration, by whom I couldn’t say (Adam probably has a team of lawyers poring over this thread already!) but adept in managing communications - and that, along with the threats to the Guardian and balls.ie is disturbing.

It means that no journalist afaik has asked, or is likely to ask, the FAI’s sponsors, corporate partners and private backers if they approve of JD’s stewardship and are happy to continue their supporting. I’m sure they would be keen to distance themselves from songs about hungerstrikers. You won’t get regime change within the FAI, but without…?
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 28/11/2014 at 4:21 PM.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I'd imagine several potential sponsors have been put off the FAI long before this episode. Association with a backward looking organisation that lurches from shambles to shambles isn't an alignment with most firms'' brand values. Removing JD won't be the solution to much unless a new CEO initiated a review of the organisation's structures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    There's nothing wrong with a private Irish citizen singing and enjoying a political/republican/Irish song in a pub. It's not illegal. Anyone can do it
    Many things are wrong, not all of which are illegal.

You wouldn't even catch Gerry Adams drunkenly singing rebel songs in a pub, because he's very careful, self-aware and he manages his public persona. I'd be surprised if he didn't enjoy such songs during private gatherings, but he knows he'd only provoke needless trouble by singing some of those that might be judged more contentious in public
    That is a slur and you may expect a visit from Sinn Fein's lawyers. For 30 years or more Deputy Adams has consistently denied touching a drop, much less working in a licensed establishment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Whilst that is true, I was just making clear it is neither inherently wrong nor illegal.

That is a slur and you may expect a visit from Sinn Fein's lawyers. For 30 years or more Deputy Adams has consistently denied touching a drop, much less working in a licensed establishment.
    Ah, I got a sneaky suspicion that Adams was teetotal after I'd posted that. I should have checked it out to refresh the memory. Although you could say that his teetotalism is a big part of the reason why you won't find him drunkenly singing rebel songs in pubs. You know what I mean though; you wouldn't find even the Sinn Féin leadership - active republicans - clumsily setting themselves up for a fall like Delaney did.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    899 Posts
    In fairness, Grizzly doesn't need to be drunk to call some people ba5tards.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...ader-1.2014416
    But that's perhaps best left for another thread.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    In fairness, Grizzly doesn't need to be drunk to call some people ba5tards.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...ader-1.2014416
    But that's perhaps best left for another thread.
    As is acknowledged though in the piece, that perceived lapse was seen as uncharacteristic of Adams. Meanwhile, Delaney being video-recorded whilst drunk, dishevelled and engaging in unprofessional, ill-judged or laddish antics is entirely in-character. It happens fairly regularly.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    899 Posts
    True. And one was the power-hungry fanatical leader of a cut-throat group, a state within a state, if you like, that sought to impose its will within its own community in a ruthless way.

The other was allegedly Chief of Staff of the IRA.
    - E Tattsyrup.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    very good. I tried tweeting it but it didn't work.
    Copy and Past my dear boy. I'll inform the powers that be that it didn't work however.

The Late Late. That reminds me of when Peter Brooke had to resign due to pressure from unionists ecause Gaybo shoe-horned him into singing Oh My Darling Clementine, despite obvious shyness and reticence. It was the same day a IRA bomb killed innocent people.
    Imagine that, someone resigning whilst technically doing nothing wrong but something insensitive that causes offence. Mad!
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Balderdash, the offence taken was because "Oh my Darling Clementine" was the popular song of a film bearing the same name, directed by John Forde, who was perceived as a republican terrorist propagandist film director.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Is Geysir's post for real or a caustic take on the response? I suspect it's the latter. Is that what they really said?

The guy was asked about his personal interests. He was put on the spot and said singing was one. Gaybo then said sing a song. He was completely flustered and couldn't even think of a song and under stress came up with a very common song he barely even knew how to sing. The unionists got the hump because they thought it was wrong because a NI Secretary was so insensitive as to enter into a sing song in the Republic when terrorists killed several of their own in NI. That's how I remember it anyway. I had no truck with his government but he seemed a decent enough humble guy who didn't do much wrong.

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Is Geysir's post for real or a caustic take on the response? I suspect it's the latter. Is that what they really said?

The guy was asked about his personal interests. He was put on the spot and said singing was one. Gaybo then said sing a song. He was completely flustered and couldn't even think of a song and under stress came up with a very common song he barely even knew how to sing. The unionists got the hump because they thought it was wrong because a NI Secretary was so insensitive as to enter into a sing song in the Republic when terrorists killed several of their own in NI. That's how I remember it anyway. I had no truck with his government but he seemed a decent enough humble guy who didn't do much wrong.
    Pretty much how I read it too. Nice guy in one heck of a tough job at the time. Wonder what he made of it years after?

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    The irony being, is that you yourself has joined in such songs, in years gone by. When drink has been taken.
    Much to the bemusement of all. And then a later African river fixation.

Correct, as you acknowledged when the great man acknowledged us, er, both. In the public domain. A number of years back.

And no drink had been taken...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    The republican issue was obviously because it was an ode to an orange. Sheesh geysir.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    But clementines can have a bitter orange flavour, maybe the offence taken by the brethren was that it was perceived that Brooke was parodying their orange order and their bitterness,

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Nah, he was just another clueless Brit out of his comfort zone...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    In what sense do you say that, Fly? Just interested in hearing why you think that. Is it that you think the opinions expressed here are "off-kilter" or is it that fewer posters from here tend to attend games as regularly as, say, a larger proportion of posters on YBIG?
    In so far as online forums are ever representative of the wider fan base, it's logical to assume that YBIG has greater claim to that mantle as it's centred around the national team and has a larger membership. Foot.ie's primary focus is the domestic league, and the majority of posts made in the Ireland subsection are by a group of around 10 to 15 regular contributors. The sample size is too small.

I don't visit YBIG that often but it does draw upon a much greater number of regular contributors.
    Last edited by The Fly; 29/11/2014 at 3:02 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    In so far as online forums are ever representative of the wider fan base, it's logical to assume that YBIG has greater claim to that mantle as it's centred around the national team and has a larger membership. Foot.ie's primary focus is the domestic league, and the majority of posts made in the Ireland subsection are by a group of around 10 to 15 regular contributors. The sample size is too small.

I don't visit YBIG that often but it does draw upon a much greater number of regular contributors.
    I'd accept that (although I think the national team has predominance over the domestic league here too), but I suspect neither are particularly representative of Irish football fans as a whole. My suspicion, based on experience paul o'shea-style, is that outside of the diehards Delaney is seen as a more benign figure and in many quarters as a really great guy. More to the point, within the small subsection of people who have real influence within Irish football (ie not us, nor LOI clubs), Delaney has a lot of support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'd accept that (although I think the national team has predominance over the domestic league here too), but I suspect neither are particularly representative of Irish football fans as a whole.
    Really? I've only viewed the League and Club sections of the forum 3 or 4 times since I became a member so I can't attest to that at all. I'm only going by the statistics provided alongside each subsection, but certainly my impression has always been that they are more active than the International section.

I mostly agree with your latter point. It is hard to gauge how representative online forums are of a wider support base and it's probably only the likes of redcafe which can make such a claim or at least provide a narrative on certain issues.
    Last edited by The Fly; 29/11/2014 at 3:15 AM.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Id love to meet the guy, perhaps Ardee cud help me set up a meeting.

Page 14 of 66 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast