Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 66 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: The John Delaney Thread

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    A big fat Hmm to that. Ironically on the night of Thanksgiving, might well turn out to be a bit of a turkey...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Interesting. That blogger comes across a bit chippy and narrow minded himself there, but as I see it:

1. The sectarian nature of the song is open to debate, as is its potential to offend.
    2. The fact that it is debatable asks serious questions of JD's judgment
    3. People who sing songs about irish independence presumably support democracy and self-expression. The FAI treatment of the fans' protest that same night contradicts those principles.
    4. The cyber bullying appears to have been minor and whilst unforgivable it is clearly a smokescreen, a deflection tactic.
    5. The whole episode reflects badly on Irish football and this stems from the FAI CEO deliberately seeking to elevate his public profile. The more recognisable you are the more likely your behaviour will be scrutinised.
    6. Whilst the FAI has done some good things, the episode copperfastens the widespread belief that it is a badly run organisation whose senior figures close ranks to defend their own privileged positions from external threats.

Also, what was the background to the FAI statement? Were all of the BoM members in agreement? We're they even asked?

As Bonnie said ages back in the governance thread, we need a new FAI. It's that simple. I'd happy to explore means of instigating an Oireachtas inquiry or to pressurise the FAI into an external examination of their governance.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know. My guess is something as simple as opening a thread here with the wording of a petition calling for genuine reform and asking someone with some profile to retweet it. If it gets no attention, so be it.

Could anybody even set up a simple one page home page reformthefai.com with a facility to collect signatures and spread via FB and Twitter? Tets?

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He seems to be very much the victim amongst any casual observers I've spoken to. "Jaysus, what's the world coming to? An Irish man can't even sing an Irish song in a pub anymore". They don't seem too fussed about the threatened legal action either. That's not my own view btw.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 28/11/2014 at 8:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    If you want to start a petition the best way to do it is change.org or avaaz.org.

The way they are set up means people can sign in via facebook, and when they put their x on the petition it appears on their timeline, which lets other like-minded people see that the petition exists.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Ok. If anyone wants to help draft a wording for a petition pm me with your private email address.

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    He seems to be very much the victim amongst any casual observers I've spoken to. "Jaysus, what's the world coming to? An Irish man can't even sing an Irish song in a pub anymore". They don't seem too fussed about the threatened legal action either. That's not my own view btw.
    I know, it's extraordinary. I think you can even be an avid RA head and lover of these songs and still appreciate how it was an ill judged thing to do.

I once saw John Delaney sing a rebel song in a multi storey car park. It was wrong on so many levels.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Ok. If anyone wants to help draft a wording for a petition pm me with your private email address.
    Start the ball rolling. You have mine sir.

Also here's my latest on it:
    http://www.krank.ie/category/opinion...eme-presidium/
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Interesting. That blogger comes across a bit chippy and narrow minded himself there, but as I see it:

1. The sectarian nature of the song is open to debate, as is its potential to offend.
    3. People who sing songs about irish independence presumably support democracy and self-expression. The FAI treatment of the fans' protest that same night contradicts those principles.
    4. The cyber bullying appears to have been minor and whilst unforgivable it is clearly a smokescreen, a deflection tactic.
    5. The whole episode reflects badly on Irish football and this stems from the FAI CEO deliberately seeking to elevate his public profile. The more recognisable you are the more likely your behaviour will be scrutinised.
    6. Whilst the FAI has done some good things, the episode copperfastens the widespread belief that it is a badly run organisation whose senior figures close ranks to defend their own privileged positions from external threats.

Also, what was the background to the FAI statement? Were all of the BoM members in agreement? We're they even asked?

As Bonnie said ages back in the governance thread, we need a new FAI. It's that simple. I'd happy to explore means of instigating an Oireachtas inquiry or to pressurise the FAI into an external examination of their governance.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know. My guess is something as simple as opening a thread here with the wording of a petition calling for genuine reform and asking someone with some profile to retweet it. If it gets no attention, so be it.

Could anybody even set up a simple one page home page reformthefai.com with a facility to collect signatures and spread via FB and Twitter? Tets?
    If it's only one page, the easiest thing to do is make a page on blogger.com
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Keeping the seasonal theme going, in terms of the FAI changing, more chances of turkeys voting etc.

Good luck with any 'campaign', though expect to be ridiculed once their 'awesome' propaganda machine kicks in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Interesting. That blogger comes across a bit chippy and narrow minded himself there
    Indeed, is it impossible for him to even remotely envisage a perspective from which this incident, whilst ill-judged, might not be "a good bit of plain old sectarianism"? Is he insinuating that it's a sectarian scandal simply because the song sung was explicitly republican? Such an assumption in itself might well border on the bigoted. He dismisses so blithely with unctuous sarcasm the possibility that other interpretations different from his own might exist or possess validity. He demonstrates a considerable lack of nuance in his loaded descriptions of those (of a republican hue) involved in the Troubles and the hunger strike. Anyone who uses simplified black-and-white or broad-brush terminology when it comes to a decades-long political conflict so complex just comes across as dogmatic to me. That's not to say it invalidates their opinion; I just take them a little less seriously.

Am I right to sense a needless and smarmy dose of sarcasm here too?:

Quote Originally Posted by IFA Apollo
    During these heart felt interviews [Delaney] went on to tell us that it is not just him who sings songs about republican terrorists, but it is common place on the Republic of Ireland team bus. Yes, you picked that up right. The non-sectarian Republic of Ireland team routinely sing pro-IRA songs on their team bus. A team bus that contains none other than former Northern Ireland captain, Martin O’Neill.
    He goes on to quote a few anti-discriminatory/anti-harassment articles from the FAI's rulebook, but I'm not really sure why they would be relevant. Delaney hasn't harassed or discriminated against anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by IFA Apollo
    Without wanting to second guess the plot, a quick flick to Rule 70, which is detailed below, should make for an interesting starting episode,

1. As the Governing Body of Association Football in Ireland, The Association is responsible for setting standards and values to apply throughout the game at every level. Football belongs to, and should be enjoyed by everyone equally. Our commitment is to confront and eliminate discrimination whether by reason of gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnic origin, colour, religion or disability.

2. The Association is an equal opportunities employer. They are committed to equality of opportunity within the organisation and to encouraging similar commitment for every organisation or individual acting within the game.

4. The FAI shall not tolerate sexual or racially-based harassment or other discriminatory behaviour, whether physical or verbal, and shall work to ensure that such behaviour is met with appropriate disciplinary action in whatever context it occurs.

5. The FAI is committed to the development of a programme of ongoing training and awareness –raising events and activities to promote the eradication of discrimination within its own organisation and, in the wider context within football as a whole.

Fans are already speculating whether Rule 103, which states ‘Any complaint made in writing may be investigated by the Disciplinary Regulations Officer (DRO) and may result in disciplinary sanction if not otherwise provided for’, will feature in any future scenes.
    Not sure why number 3 has been omitted...

There's also the stupid accusation of Delaney "pillaging" IFA youth squads "for their best players who attend mass on a Sunday". I don't think I need to respond to that.

I'm not sure why he feels UTV owe him an explanation as to why they haven't covered it either.

Don't forget the calamitous denial, the attempted gagging of the Guardian, Telegraph and Balls.ie, the qualified "apology" that completely failed to grasp the actual issue here and the shifting of the blame on to the "sly" camera man (because the busy public house was a "private" setting).

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    There's nothing wrong with a private Irish citizen singing and enjoying a political/republican/Irish song in a pub. It's not illegal. Anyone can do it. The distinction in Delaney's case is that he's the public face and CEO of the FAI; that invokes an extra duty to behave in a sensible, sensitive and responsible manner in public or in a manner that won't draw unnecessary negative attention to the association or give the media and others a golden opportunity to level accusations of political prejudice or wrongdoing. You wouldn't even catch Gerry Adams drunkenly singing rebel songs in a pub, because he's very careful, self-aware and he manages his public persona. I'd be surprised if he didn't enjoy such songs during private gatherings, but he knows he'd only provoke needless trouble by singing some of those that might be judged more contentious in public.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    To be fair, I never assumed she was a bimbo, I just inferred it from her exact words and behaviour.
    In fairness Charlie, I think she's far from a bimbo!

She has managed to turn this thing around to make all her Twitter follows think her poor Johnny Bear or whatever she calls him is the victim of a witch hunt. 'All he did was sing a ballad in a pub. It's PC gone made!!!'

It's not so much the song that is grating people it's his actions. He treatened the Guardian, Telegraph and Balls.ie with legal action and then denied it was him and now he's victim.' He loves his woman and his country. Is that a crime?!!!' That's just a taster of what the man is like. A grade cretin, creep and bell***!

In the words of Paul Weller 'The public gets what the public wants!'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    There's nothing wrong with a private Irish citizen singing and enjoying a political/republican/Irish song in a pub. It's not illegal. Anyone can do it. The distinction in Delaney's case is that he's the public face and CEO of the FAI; that invokes an extra duty to behave in a sensible, sensitive and responsible manner in public or in a manner that won't draw unnecessary negative attention to the association or give the media and others a golden opportunity to level accusations of political prejudice or wrongdoing. You wouldn't even catch Gerry Adams drunkenly singing rebel songs in a pub, because he's very careful, self-aware and he manages his public persona. I'd be surprised if he didn't enjoy such songs during private gatherings, but he knows he'd only provoke needless trouble by singing some of those that might be judged more contentious in public.
    Couldn't agree more Danny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Another blog piece here written yesterday that makes some good points and outlines a few of the genuine issues that have been swept under the carpet: https://amancanhavenogreaterlove.wor...e-real-issues/

Quote Originally Posted by withgodlygrace
    The [FAI board's] statement was posted to the FAI website at approximately 10.45 last night. I assume the time was chosen to ensure they avoided tomorrow’s newspapers but that is largely irrelevant. It isn’t just a case of the FAI brushing a mess under their carpet, more a case of them not knowing what the mess is.They have cleaned out the rabbit hutch while completely ignoring the elephant in the room.

Well Mr Delaney may argue that he was singing amongst friends and is allowed to let off steam occasionally, I do not believe it is acceptable that a man in his position can be ever truly ‘off duty’. In fact, it was Mr. Delaney himself who pointed out that the job is ’24/7′. It also should be noted that this was not an ordinary night in a local bar in rural Waterford but post-match drinks, in a public house that is a mere stone’s throw away from the Aviva Stadium.

Mr. Fitzgerald also points out that the board are happy with how the CEO is running the association. I have no expertise in running any major organisation but had never heard of a CEO running any company or association single-handed.

However, there are still other matters outstanding that have not been addressed. During the ‘Godfather of Irish football’s’ tenure the profile, UEFA coefficient and prize money of the FAI run national league, or the ‘problem child’, as he referred to it, have all dropped considerably. Many clubs lose money by simply entering a team in the league while others have had to drop out of senior football altogether during his reign. You may recall Monaghan United having to abandon Irish football’s Premiere Division during Euro 2012, around the time that the CEO was again making headlines for non football related matters.

Then there is the chaotic state of Irish schoolboy football where a complete lack of structure is severely hampering player development. The panacea prescribed for the ills of underage football a decade ago, the Emerging Talent programme, has made little difference. A quick glance at the birthplaces of players in our under 17 and under 19 national squads shows we are still overly reliant on our diaspora, essentially relying on other associations to develop our players. It seems a long time since Brian Kerr was bringing through a ‘golden generation’of Irish talent.

As I mentioned above I am no business expert so perhaps the FAI could explain to us laymen, the logic in offering such a lengthy contract extension to the man ‘running’ this operation. A man who in the past month has jeopardized the safety of Irish fans in Glasgow by refusing to accept responsibility on behalf of the FAI for ‘ticketgate’ and passing blame on to his Scottish counterparts. There has also been a failure to answer any of the questions put to Mr Delaney regarding ticket allocation, to go along with the heavy-handed stewarding at the USA match and the ‘singing in the Bath’ scandal.

One has to question why a football administrator has such a high-profile public persona, his peculiar search for adoration and celebrity through late night chat shows and that self promotional documentary that was so very Alan Partridge.

Apart from Irish Water due to their widespread media coverage, I don’t think I could name another CEO in the state and certainly not a member of any other sporting organisation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I'd be happy to help where possible, although tets' talk of a mere one-page limit has me concerned!

Pretty sure you'll have my email address already. Lemme know if you need it again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBlackCat View Post
    In fairness Charlie, I think she's far from a bimbo!

She has managed to turn this thing around to make all her Twitter follows think her poor Johnny Bear or whatever she calls him is the victim of a witch hunt. 'All he did was sing a ballad in a pub. It's PC gone made!!!'
    She's been "hounded off social media" now too, of course...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Start the ball rolling. You have mine sir.

Also here's my latest on it:
    http://www.krank.ie/category/opinion...eme-presidium/
    very good. I tried tweeting it but it didn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    What are the odds he'll be on The Late Late Show tonight?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    The Late Late. That reminds me of when Peter Brooke had to resign due to pressure from unionists ecause Gaybo shoe-horned him into singing Oh My Darling Clementine, despite obvious shyness and reticence. It was the same day a IRA bomb killed innocent people.

Formerly: Rafa B
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    What are the odds he'll be on The Late Late Show tonight?
    Dressed as a cuddy teddy bear? lol
    Lets talk about six baby

Page 13 of 66 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast