Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Long D Toronto FC b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Kevin Long D Toronto FC b.1990

Couldnt find a thread for him. 24 year old Cork lad on the bench today for Burnley. Ward and Reid on the bench as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Makes his Premier League debut this afternoon, at St James' Park, replacing the injured Jason Shackell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Off on a stretcher.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    Knee injury acc to bbc

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    That's just dreadful luck. Hopefully it's nothing too bad and he'll be back in contention soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Long following in McCann, Meyler, Gibson, O'Brien, Brady & Lenihan's footsteps by having their progress at this level curtailed by injury practically as soon as it begins. Last season Meyler, ironically, was the only Irish Hull player unaffected by injury; Brady, Quinn & McShane each missed approximately ¾ of last season. Long's teammate, Ward, lasted about 8 games before picking up a serious injury, having remained injury free last season in the Championship. His other teammate, Reid, never fulfilled his undoubted potential due to career threatening injury problems. Enda Stevens chances at Aston Villa were dead & buried after he lost his place in the team due to injury, never winning it back. Anthony Pilkington averaged 1 in 3 PL games in his first Premiership season before chronic injury problems began to plague him. Dunne's career at Aston Villa was ended by spending an entire season out due to injury setbacks. Doyle's career at this level has leveled out due to fitness problems. Back to Everton and James McCarthy is currently being plagued by a hamstring injury having previously spent time on the sidelines with a Fabrice Muamba incurred ankle injury, at Wigan. Shane Duffy's progress at Everton was curtailed just when it was getting going after a life threatening injury. Even Seamus Coleman, touch wood, enjoyed his first full season unaffected by injury during 13/14. Paddy McCarthy, of course, missed two seasons due to injury & teammate Owen Garvan has been rocked by repeated fitness (and disciplinary) issues. Last but not least, Shane Long, was on fire before being deliberately hacked by Rangers alum Alan Hutton; taking months to get back to the level he was at pre-injury.

*Deep breath*

Forgotten anyone?
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 02/01/2015 at 5:33 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    No, it was a long source of frustration long before you joined the forum. There must be nearly 20 promising Irish players whose careers suffered from injury in the last decade or so. I think there was a thread on it. Tets?

Has any news been released about the extent of the injury? Obviously it doesn't look good but there's still hope it's something like Aguerro's knee injury which was only a matter of weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Could be a hyperextended knee, in which case he would spend between 3 and 4 weeks recuperating, but even then Burnley will have bought a back up CB in the transfer window and Long's (probably only) chance at making it at this level is gone.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    No news that I can see, but I doubt they'd have anything this early anything as they'd need to wait for swelling to reduce, etc. It did look nasty though and he was in a lot of pain. It's probably ligament damage, but hopefully not cruciates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I forgot Billy Clarke! Missed the entire season for Blackpool after suffering a knee injury against Tiverton in a pre-season friendly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    No, it was a long source of frustration long before you joined the forum. There must be nearly 20 promising Irish players whose careers suffered from injury in the last decade or so. I think there was a thread on it. Tets?

Has any news been released about the extent of the injury? Obviously it doesn't look good but there's still hope it's something like Aguerro's knee injury which was only a matter of weeks.
    Was there a full thread on it, or was it just part of a discussion on a certain player's injury? Possibly James McCarthy, or Conor Henderson?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I forgot Billy Clarke! Missed the entire season for Blackpool after suffering a knee injury against Tiverton in a pre-season friendly.
    Conor Henderson too, pre season injury that knocked him out for a full season, also Stephen O'Halloran who was out for the better part of two years after separate cruciate knee injuries
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 02/01/2015 at 10:32 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'd say it was brought up a few times in the Terry Dixon thread, a classic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Greg Cunningham is another one.
    Just checked and he is sitting at the top of L1 with Bristol City.
    No idea how he is doing and what position but still only 23 and was playing LB before so maybe he still has an international future if they get promoted to the Championship and he performs well there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Eoin Wearen was let go by West Ham while recovering from ruptured ligaments. Stephen Henderson failed to make an impact at West Ham, where there was an opening for a new goalie, because of recurring injury problems; he's currently recovering from injury, having began the season well with Charlton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...on-305036.html

Contract extension signed just before injury.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Back to Everton and James McCarthy is currently being plagued by a hamstring injury
    Oh, so you do think it's a single and isolated recurring problem after all?

In McCarthy's thread, you've been continually peddling the idea that the various instances of the tissue problem re-arising (with the exact same hamstring in close time proximity to the last instance) have been completely separate injuries in order to support your dubious claim that he was fit to play against Scotland.

Are you spoofing here or there then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Danny, your behavior is incredibly childish on one thread without carrying it over to another.

I have already explained why I think the FAI doctors, Martin & Roy's opinions are more valid than yours (or mine). I'm not going to do it another 4 or 5 times. I disagree with you. I'm not going to start agreeing with you. Especially when you are continuing to be condescending and insulting. Let it go.

If you want to continue arguing, do it in private messages - like we were told to do. Unless you want an audience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Rob Elliot got injured as soon as he got a run in the team. Rory Donnelly got injured right before the season began, though he is a Northern Ireland player as it stands.

John Egan's chances of making it at Sunderland were blown by a serious injury he picked up on loan at Bradford. He had as good a chance as any youngster of making it to the first team too. He was very highly though of.

It's amazing how bad our luck is with injuries.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 04/01/2015 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    It's amazing how bad our luck is with injuries.
    Is it really "bad Irish luck" or do we suffer from a similar number of injuries as any other country would proportionately-speaking; it's just they seem to hit us harder because we have less players in reserve and are placing our hopes on a smaller pool of players?

Danny, your behavior is incredibly childish on one thread without carrying it over to another.

I have already explained why I think the FAI doctors, Martin & Roy's opinions are more valid than yours (or mine). I'm not going to do it another 4 or 5 times. I disagree with you. I'm not going to start agreeing with you. Especially when you are continuing to be condescending and insulting. Let it go.

If you want to continue arguing, do it in private messages - like we were told to do. Unless you want an audience.
    So, you dodge the questions again, but I'm the one being childish?...

I couldn't care less if you agree with me. I'd appreciate if you just answered the questions (not merely my own). If you want to get into a discussion, be prepared to have your position challenged.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I'm not dodging questions at all. I just think it would be better to agree to disagree, or discuss it further in private messages, rather than derail another thread. I don't think anyone is particularly interested in this subject anymore apart from you.

Maybe I am put off answering your questions because of your demeanor? It's pretty challenging like. You have accused me spoofing, wumming, trolling and called me "a vile little man" (although you deleted that after I challenged you on it), ostensibly because I have a differing viewpoint to yours.

If you could engage a little courtesy then maybe I would be prepared to further discuss the minutiae of whether James McCarthy was fit enough to play against Scotland or not - which O'Neill, Keane & FAI medics believed he was.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 04/01/2015 at 7:37 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast