646 Posts
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35696239.html

Has signed a new 1 year deal with Hull

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Just heard that he's been forced to retire from the game due to a knee injury.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Statement from the player on Twitter

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    the poor fella

Those he get a once off insurance payment I wonder?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Former Hull City and Cork City defender Brian Lenihan has revealed he attempted to take his own life in a battle with mental illness that led to his retirement from football at the age of 23.

The defender was plagued by injury since joining Hull and announced his retirement in April.

From RTE...

So sad to hear the reason behind his retirement, but if there's anything good in such circumstances it's that he seems to be in a better place right now, and speaking out may just help somebody else somewhere down the line... It takes admirable courage to lay bare those details. I'm sure everyone here wishes him good health and happiness on his journey.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Fair play to Brian. That's a really, really brave thing to do in coming out and admitting what occurred, Especially given how he is "ashamed" of what he did and clearly has had such a tough time dealing with it internally and within his family and friends circle.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Former Hull City and Cork City defender Brian Lenihan has revealed he attempted to take his own life in a battle with mental illness that led to his retirement from football at the age of 23.

The defender was plagued by injury since joining Hull and announced his retirement in April.

From RTE...

So sad to hear the reason behind his retirement, but if there's anything good in such circumstances it's that he seems to be in a better place right now, and speaking out may just help somebody else somewhere down the line... It takes admirable courage to lay bare those details. I'm sure everyone here wishes him good health and happiness on his journey.
    That is probably the bravest thing I have ever seen an Irish Player do . Well done that Man . With so much suicide of Men its very admirable that this Young Man is willing to talk about this . I am willing to admit that some weird wattery stuff dripped from my eyes reading that . A lot of people have been affected by suicide one way or another .

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Incredibly brave and hopefully inspiring to others who just can't talk.

Brian was one of the most talented youngsters to ever play at Turner's Cross and it's great to hear he enjoyed his time with us. I hope he finds happiness whatever he might go on to do with his life.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    It's such an important point to consider in present day football. As someone who has had their travails with mental health, I can only imagine how someone pre-disposed to anxiety or depression would feel in the environment of professional football. I would think that there are so many aspects of the life that are completely incompatible with the mind of someone with such issues e.g. the loneliness of injury recovery, the pressure of the crowd, the criticism for poor performance, the fear of poor performance, the financial aspects, even something trivial as going home early afternoon and having nothing to do for the entire day would be severely impactful (I think Mikey Drennan highlighted this).

As I said, so admirable by Brian and best wishes too him.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Interviewed yesterday on Second Captains by Richie Sadlier for his "Player's Chair" show. Very tough listen, goes into his mental health, what led him to decide to take his life, and how he's dealing with life after football at such a young age
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Second Captains have decided to make the interview with Lenihan free to air for anyone who wants to listen to it - https://www.secondcaptains.com/2018/...brian-lenihan/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

19. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123