Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Eircom League Rules

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eircom League Rules

In the event of two teams finishing joint top on points what are the rules for deciding on the league winner? Goal difference.....Goals scored...results against each other............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    All eveyone seems to be on about is goal difference so i'm presuming that's the first one. . . .then goals scored.
    Whatever bout a tie on points, equal goal difference also a big possibility.
    Hopefully not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I'm assuming its points, then goal difference, then goals scored.

God be with the days back in 1993 when goal difference didn't count and we won the endless three team playoff with Bohs and Shels
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paudie
    God be with the days back in 1993 when goal difference didn't count and we won the endless three team playoff with Bohs and Shels
    Yes indeed - and we pipped Shels at the RDS 3-2. What a day!! Is it happening again?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ah yes they were good times, not only did we get to shaft Shel but we got to shaft Bohs as well, and to make it even better they shafted each other. Oh bishopstown
    It's only just begun...............
    If the last 21 years were class, here's looking forward to the next 21 years. It is our time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JDB
    Yes indeed - and we pipped Shels at the RDS 3-2. What a day!! Is it happening again?
    What a day indeed!!

Seems even more than 11 years ago.

Far too long anyway. I wonder have we used up all our get of jail cards for this season in the last two games.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads, lets try to get over Drogs first?

It will be great if we still have an outside shot at the league on the last day, but securinf 2nd place is the first priority.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The reason I asked the question in the first place is I haven't heard from an official source how they decide the League in the event of a tie. It could be done on head-to-head results between the two teams at the top in which case Shels would be declared League winners [in this case Cork City would have to pick up 4 points on Shels in the last two games to win the League]. This is the FAI we're dealing with here I wouldn't take anything for granted; afterall they got caught out in 1992 because they had NO rule for separating teams finishing on the same number of points at the end of a season.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    This is the FAI we're dealing with here I wouldn't take anything for granted; afterall they got caught out in 1992 because they had NO rule for separating teams finishing on the same number of points at the end of a season.
    There's plenty of leagues that use a play off and don't take into account goal difference. The Italians don't use goal difference, or if they do, they only changed recently...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    There's plenty of leagues that use a play off and don't take into account goal difference. The Italians don't use goal difference, or if they do, they only changed recently...
    I think a playoff would be great!!! The last time Cork City won the League was in a playoff against Shels [after knocking out Bohs].

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dricky
    Ah yes they were good times, not only did we get to shaft Shel but we got to shaft Bohs as well, and to make it even better they shafted each other. Oh bishopstown

....and Cormac Cotter............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    This is the FAI we're dealing with here I wouldn't take anything for granted; afterall they got caught out in 1992 because they had NO rule for separating teams finishing on the same number of points at the end of a season.
    They DID have a rule in 1993(?).

Teams level on points had to play off for the championship. That was the rule.
    Before that at least 2 League of Ireland championships had been decided by playoffs (including Cork Hibs beating Shamrock rovers at neutral (!) Dalymount in 1971 I think.

What was unusual about 1993 was that three teams finished on the same number of points so at first nobody knew what to do.

In the end it was decided ,rightly in my opinion that three teams should play off. Under the rules it was the only option really.

Like you though I haven't seen definitive confirmation that goal difference is the first criteria for seperating teams level on points. Everyone is just assuming that it is.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They DID have a rule in 1993(?).

Teams level on points had to play off for the championship. That was the rule.
    Before that at least 2 League of Ireland championships had been decided by playoffs (including Cork Hibs beating Shamrock rovers at neutral (!) Dalymount in 1971 I think.

Good point - now I remember it was the unlikely scenario of a 3-way tie that caught the League out. Ok in that case can we assume that the rule for two teams finishing tied has not changed at all in which case we may be faced with a playoff [at a neutral venue Tolka ] in the event.......

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good point - now I remember it was the unlikely scenario of a 3-way tie that caught the League out. Ok in that case can we assume that the rule for two teams finishing tied has not changed at all in which case we may be faced with a playoff [at a neutral venue Tolka ] in the event.......
    Nah - I'm pretty sure the league converted to goal difference since 1993. Hasn't relegation/promotion been decided on it since then? Rememebr that many of the leagues (including Soctland I think) that weren't goal difference then are now gd
    Mick D. for Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I'm fairly sure that they changed the deciding factor to goal difference a few years ago.

I remember Bohs moaning for years (literally) after 1993 about how they would have won the league if goal difference had been the rule.

I think the main reason it was changed was that since they use goal difference in England it was thought they should have it here.

As someone else said they use playoffs in Italy, even for relegation so that,s good enough for me. I think in Italy they have a specific rule for when three teams are level. I think they use the results between the 3 teams and the top two teams on that basis play off over 2 legs.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=paudie]I'm fairly sure that they changed the deciding factor to goal difference a few years ago.
    [QUOTE]

What happens in the event of two teams finsihing on identical goal difference?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I think in Italy they have a specific rule for when three teams are level. I think they use the results between the 3 teams and the top two teams on that basis play off over 2 legs.
    I remember reading about that in A Season With Verona. Only two teams can contest a play-off so if there's three teams level for the last two relegation places, the two with the best goal difference play off and the one with the worst goal difference gets relegated and if there's three level for the last relegation spot, the two with the worst goal difference play off.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    [QUOTE=JDB][QUOTE=paudie]I'm fairly sure that they changed the deciding factor to goal difference a few years ago.

What happens in the event of two teams finsihing on identical goal difference?
    Then it's the team with the most goals scored who wins.

If thats the same then you would have to have a playoff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi
    I remember reading about that in A Season With Verona. Only two teams can contest a play-off so if there's three teams level for the last two relegation places, the two with the best goal difference play off and the one with the worst goal difference gets relegated and if there's three level for the last relegation spot, the two with the worst goal difference play off.
    I knew they had a specific way of dealing with three teams being level on points.