Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McGrath compilation

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

McGrath compilation

I enjoyed it, fair play whoever put it on. It also came in well in an argument i just had via email.

Anyway I hope some people get the same happy feeling I did watching it.

Last edited by gustavo; 19/11/2008 at 1:45 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    cant wait to check that out later (after work)... McGrath is my all-time favourite player in an Irish shirt. The man oozed class.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I love his pretending to get injured walking up to stairs to collect his award on 4.45.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the man is a ledgend, best player to wear a green jersey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good video all right, I think this article is a great tribute.... from a Villa fan

http://www.oleole.com/blogs/avfcblog...s-paul-mcgrath

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oink View Post
    Good video all right, I think this article is a great tribute.... from a Villa fan

http://www.oleole.com/blogs/avfcblog...s-paul-mcgrath
    Thats a fine tribute to one of Irelands finest(possibly best)players of all time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Watching back Second Captains from last week with McGrath.
    Never knew he was approached by England to play for them.

Noticed in today's rugby we've started to play players who qualify through living here. I really disagree with that and have noticed a few international teams doing it in soccer too (Poland, Spain etc).
    While we will never do it because League of Ireland players don't get picked by the senior squad I really think it should be disallowed.
    Will we ever see Irish players playing for other international teams because they've lived in those countries for a certain number of years.
    Isn't Roy O'Donovan playing i the Middle East? With Joe Gamble or some other Irish player?

Of course, McGrath legitimately qualified through being born in England.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Funny, I'd just mentioned that in the Shane O'Neill thread started today. He's Cork-born, but has been playing for the US at under-age level and is tipped to make their senior squad soon. He has stated he'd also be open to representing Ireland, however, so it will be interesting to see what transpires. I think he'd be the first Republic-born player to represent another country. Can anyone think of another?

I know it is a common feature of the eligibility rules of quite a few international sports, but the rugby rule seems absurd to me alright, or contrary to the concept of sport even; that being sport contested between the members of respective nations. At least in football, those players who qualify to play for another country through residence must also have acquired the nationality of that country first. They are actual legal citizens of that nation. In rugby, residence alone permits a player to represent another nation despite said player not being a member of that nation.

It was Bobby Robson who'd approached McGrath, wasn't it, by virtue of Paul having been born in London? Of course, the only reason he was born in London was because his mother had traveled over in secret to give birth to him as he was born outside of wedlock and to a black father since absconded. She came straight back to Dublin again with Paul once he was born and gave him up for fostering after four weeks.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Funny, I'd just mentioned that in the Shane O'Neill thread started today. He's Cork-born, but has been playing for the US at under-age level and is tipped to make their senior squad soon. He has stated he'd also be open to representing Ireland, however, so it will be interesting to see what transpires. I think he'd be the first Republic-born player to represent another country. Can anyone think of another?
    Eamon Zayed and Libya
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 08/11/2014 at 9:40 PM.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Ah, yes. He'd slipped my mind. Is he the only one besides O'Neill?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    If you include the ROI-born players who represented the IFA team after independence, there are a few, but that association still claimed jurisdiction over the entire island so probably doesn't count.

If you are willing to count underage level, Darren Meenan played for Northern Ireland U21s and could conceivably still represent them at senior level if Michael O'Neill is interested.

I believe there are a couple of Irish-born players who've represented some of the non-sovereign overseas territories in the Caribbean, but not sure if they're full FIFA members either or just associates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I believe there are a couple of Irish-born players who've represented some of the non-sovereign overseas territories in the Caribbean, but not sure if they're full FIFA members either or just associates.
    Is Keiran Murtagh one of whom you're thinking? He played for us at under-age level before later playing for Antigua & Barbuda, but he was born in London.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I know a guy, from Ballyer, who played as goalkeeper for the Cayman Islands (where he was living).
    But I'm pretty sure there was no official caps handed out for any of the games
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I know a guy, from Ballyer, who played as goalkeeper for the Cayman Islands (where he was living).
    For a second, there, I thought you were going to say "where he was on holiday"!

Although maybe it wouldn't be all that mad. Didn't Tim Cahill get tied (pre-rule change) to Samoa after playing for them whilst on holiday at the age of 14?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    For a second, there, I thought you were going to say "where he was on holiday"!

Although maybe it wouldn't be all that mad. Didn't Tim Cahill get tied (pre-rule change) to Samoa after playing for them whilst on holiday at the age of 14?
    Might be Murtagh I was thinking of but I seem to remember mention of at least one and possible two more. Like the Irish lad who played rugby for Kazakhstan, it was obviously a case where they'd never be close to the Irish team though. In Meenan's case, I'm pretty sure he said he was told by FAI coaches that he was too small to play football, but the IFA have always been more willing to work with smaller, more technical players. Hoolahan's lack of games for Ireland being a case in point.

Cahill, as far as I know, was 17 or 18 and played for Samoa U20s but nothing to do with a holiday, just the fact he is proud of his Samoan heritage and jumped at the chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Cahill was definitely 14 when he played for Samoa in 1994. This is what he said of it:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Cahill
    I was sitting at home when the Samoans rang because they were looking for players around the world to take part in this competition. Initially, they were interested in my brother because although my dad is originally from Dagenham, my mother is from Western Samoa. They asked if I would take part, even though I was only 14 at the time and it was an under-20 tournament. I saw it simply as a chance to go on holiday because my grandmother was ill at the time in Samoa. It was a chance to go back and see her on expenses as the Samoans were paying for all my flights, accommodation and living expenses. I could not have cared less about playing for them. It was a men's tournament and I never expected to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well that's me told!

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Great job, POSH.

Some on here will never give you your due.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    It also came in well in an argument i just had via email.
    Are you cheating on us with private debates again? I thought we warned you about your discussions with YBIG diehards at matches before.

Tets, ban this fool.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Dundalk-born Kenny Finn represented us at under-age level before settling in New York and representing the US in the early '60s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast