Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Oman 3rd September 2014 & Georgia 7th September 2014

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    Paul, after Portugal everyone was concerned by Forde! I agree with O'Neill's thinking in this regard too , although Forde a "serious liability" is harsh but the fact remains that he is not a top drawer keeper. He has put in some great performances, especially in Germany and Sweden but I'd just have more confidence in Shay. That said, he was rooted to his line for Orient's goal last night and Forde's willingness to take high balls was welcome after Shay's tenure.

On the assumption Shay is sharp enough Id welcome his return. I think Keane's judgment will be instrumental here. This campaign is no time for sentimentality or being nice to future prospects.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Thanks Stutts, trying to steal my thunder! And DeLorean, you should have thanked me rather than Stutts' example of very badly written English.
    I think Stutts was trying to be funny, I had a wry smile anyway. Reportedly.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Hang on, is this the same Forde who certain people claimed was 'too good for Celtic' (even now!) and people want to see him dropped?

He's not a great keeper nor will he ever be, but rather him than Shay at this stage. You can only go 'Back to the Future', so far...
    Doubtless a certain Corkonian has 'talked' him into this?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Hang on, is this the same Forde who certain people claimed was 'too good for Celtic' (even now!) and people want to see him dropped?

He's not a great keeper nor will he ever be, but rather him than Shay at this stage. You can only go 'Back to the Future', so far...
    Doubtless a certain Corkonian has 'talked' him into this?
    Being too good for Celtic(which I don't agree with) and not being good enough for Ireland are not mutually exclusive. Getting Shay back is a backwards step in my opinion though.

Forde and Westwood should have a clean slate coming into the next 3 games. Management should make a decision before the Oman game and stick to it right through the Germany game. That should be the prerogative.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    And DeLorean, you should have thanked me rather than Stutts' example of very badly written English.
    Well I was actually thanking Stutts for ripping the p!ss out of the conclusively inconclusive article, not the link to the article itself. I feel bad though so I have now thanked both of your posts

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.newstalk.ie/Givens-potent...-Neil-ORiordan

Neil O'Riordan elaborates on concerns about Forde/Westwood and the rumored Given comeback.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Bringing back Shay would be a very Trap-like decision - kicking the can of finding a new goalkeeper down the road in order to qualify by any means. I'd rather we didn't lumber from campaign to campaign with no real strategy for long-term improvement.

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    I think Stutts was trying to be funny, I had a wry smile anyway. Reportedly.
    I know and agree!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Interesting news on Given. I've always been a big fan of Shay, but I've no idea how sharp he is of late as I haven't seen him play. How can he demand to play when he's been mostly bench-warming for Villa and playing in the odd cup game?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    That's weird, I read it a while ago but it's not showing up when I search for it. Maybe I read something from the game in 2012. It will definitely be on TV though, probably on Setanta.
    Nothing here yet: http://liveonsat.com/LJS_FT_friend_intl_ALL.php

It usually indicates which channels will be showing a game, although I recall our friendly against Costa Rica in Philadelphia never appeared on it either.

Bringing back Shay would be a very Trap-like decision - kicking the can of finding a new goalkeeper down the road in order to qualify by any means. I'd rather we didn't lumber from campaign to campaign with no real strategy for long-term improvement.
    Unfortunately, I fear that's all we'll ever be able to do unless something radically changes in Irish football. It's a sign that the up-and-coming talent is lacking.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    I think O'Neill should pick our best keeper, not try to find our future keeper. I don't know which of our keepers is best at the moment but that's for O'Neill to make a firm decision on. O'Neill saw both Westwood and Forde in the same game recently and mustn't have been too convinced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Given is an Irish footballing legend. I can't believe he is seeking guaranteed playing time in order to come back for Ireland. He must have been misquoted, or the media must be conniving against him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Given is an Irish footballing legend. I can't believe he is seeking guaranteed playing time in order to come back for Ireland. He must have been misquoted, or the media must be conniving against him.
    Are you feeling OK today, TOWK? It's not like you to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I've always felt safe with Westwood in goals. I'd go with him. Bringing back Given might make a small bit of sense if he was playing regular football himself, but it just seems a bit daft.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I'd give Westwood the nod. He's playing first team football at Sheff Wed and was very unlucky at SAFC with injuries at the wrong time. I rather have Westwood, Forde and one from Elliott or Randolph.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    I'd rather we didn't lumber from campaign to campaign with no real strategy for long-term improvement.
    Hang on, in the other thread you said we 'have the players to do well'. Hmm, doesn't seem like it!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    When he was fit Westwood was our nr1 after Given, if he has returned to form then Westwood should be able to eclipse Forde, marginally.

When Westwood was out of the reckoning then Forde was the nr 1, the best of the rest. Not much use howling at the moon over our goalkeeping options.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    I wonder who the defenders prefer playing ahead of?

In my preferred first XI selection from earlier in the week I gave Westwood the nod. I can genuinely see the merit in having Shay's experience in Georgia though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    Given's experience is what separates him from the other two but there's a question mark hanging over his head. He's not playing at club level and he didn't leave the international scene on a high. Think I'd go with Westwood, time to look towards the future and place trust in a player that will be around for more than just a couple of games/ one campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Why is Forde getting so much flak for the Portugal game? Look at the defence he had in front of him. Westwood conceded 6 against Germany didn't he? Forde helped keep the score down against them.

Westwood is injury prone. There is a decent chance that he will end up getting injured at some point if he starts the campaign as #1. Maybe better to continue with Forde rather than making an unnecessary change and risk Westwood getting injured during a match or changing goalkeepers within days/months of qualification games. It's not like there is much between them to begin with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Does Westwood have any obvious weakness, outside of being injury prone? Given's not great on crosses, Forde is poor with the ball to feet and his agility has been questioned on here at times. Of couse, Given's agility may not be what it once was at this stage either for all we know.

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast