Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Jeez, exaggerate much?
    I'm the exaggerator here?

Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Cowardly tackle by the Bohs player. Backing in instead of challenging for the ball. I've seen similar tackles in football over the years and FIFA need to address them.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    I don't think anyone is hyping it up in fairness

Linehan fell from a height and potentially could have had a very serious spinal injury or head injury

The medics were excellent in their response in dealing with the immediate aftermath of the effects of linehans accident

Fergal sounds like an idiot - "This happens in rugby but you don't see guys whinging about it. " .....linehan seemed to be having a seizure from I could make out from looking on in the stands.....he was in no position to whinge and nobody else was/is whinging about it
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

3. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc
    So you are basing that opinion on 1 or 2 posters on here? The ccfcforum was 50-50 on the red with most of the rest saying yellow. Making sweeping generalisations to make your point isn't very clever.
    I'm basing it off 4 or 5 Cork fans on here. But I'll take your figures if you want; they prove my point more. Every Cork fan who thought Dennehy's challenge wasn't a red is wrong. I didn't see a single fan from another club argue against a blatant red.

My club good, others bad. As I said.

And it holds here. Only Cork fans are arguing that was deliberate (and few of them at that). almost everyone else can see it was an accident, and that Lenihan's challenge was risky. By the law of "my club good, others bad", you are wrong to blame the other club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I'm the exaggerator here?
    Correct.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    I'm quite surprised nobody has commented on the fact his team-mate came immediately to his aid and put him into the recovery position. Should be commended for his quick thinking in a potentially very serious situation where others may have panicked.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

7. Thanks From:

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I'm quite surprised nobody has commented on the fact his team-mate came immediately to his aid and put him into the recovery position. Should be commended for his quick thinking in a potentially very serious situation where others may have panicked.
    absolutely - very good point
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Apart from the macho rugby stuff, I don't see much wrong with that comment. It's true you can't swallow your tongue, and from what's been said (again, I've only seen the vine link), simple first aid did prevent further injury. An incident can look distressing but have a simple, if long, treatment to keep it perfectly under control.
    Who was whinging about it though? Nobody.

And while swallowing your tongue is technically impossible it's the established term for describing what happened. It happened to me and I was unable to breathe while unconscious. The referee, luckily for me, knew what to do and it was all dealt with without any fuss.

Seeing a guy go off the pitch unconscious and in a neck brace having been in convulsions is a pretty distressing sight. Nobody whinged about it, it was just reported for what it was. That idiot threw in a totally needless bit of macho rugby nonsense. Given how the rugby community acknowledges the seriousness of head injuries and concussion - an area where I think Irish rugby is taking a commendable lead over other nations - I'd hazard a guess that more than 99pc of serious rugby supporters would be mortified by yer man's comment.

It was a pathetic bit of needless point scoring.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 26/07/2014 at 2:43 PM.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,272 Posts
    Technically, that was a very dangerous thing to do. If he had suffered a neck injury, being rolled could have made it worse, or even killed him. Should have kept his head steady and done a jaw thrust to open the airway. The odds were probably in his favour that there was no neck injury, but still

Stutts - You're right that swallowing your tongue is the commonly used layman's term for what happened, but that (to me anyway) conjures up images of sticking your fingers into the guy's mouth to pull it back, which is absolutely the wrong thing to do. So maybe Fergal has a point about using a different term which more naturally conveys what has happened. His tongue blocked his airway, maybe. Still obviously dangerous, and points towards opening the airway. One of the first things you learn in first aid.

Agree completely on the pointless rugby point scoring of course

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    If Josh O'Shea never does anything else positive on the pitch for the rest of his career with City it won't matter. He's earned his keep with his swift action last night.

Complete (horrible) accident. I'm not gonna go as far to say I don't care about the result, but Lenihans health is far more concerning than winning last night. Now that he's been given the all clear I hope he is back as soon as possible, but I'll be shocked if he makes the Dundalk game and even Pats would seem a stretch. Concussion is a scary thing.

Up to that point, we were shocking. Worst City performance I've seen all year (wasn't in Dundalk). We couldn't pass the ball, and so we constantly gave it away. I've been saying for years than Dunleavy isn't a midfielder and he was at fault for the first goal, and for tehir chance that led to the shot of the crossbar by not picking up runners. Davoren being taken off may lead to him being scapegoated but those two chances that came from his side were nothing to do with him, and his yellow card was only picked up due to a hospital pass from Dennehy,B.

We need Gearoid Morrissey back in the team as soon as possible, Buckley too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    If Josh O'Shea never does anything else positive on the pitch for the rest of his career with City it won't matter. He's earned his keep with his swift action last night.
    I know your post crossed with mine, but I think it's really important to emphasise that, in the circumstances of a person landing on their head from a height of ten foot or so, putting them in the recovery position is absolutely the wrong thing to do.

It worked last night, but you can't play odds with potential spinal and neck injuries.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I wasn't aware of that Stu. I know we shouldn't overreact to one off events like this but it only takes a series of small mistakes/accidents to have something like this end so much worse and so perhaps it would be good to have players and coaches properly trained in first aid. My reaction would either have been to be paralyzed with inaction out of shock, or else to attempt the recovery position.

On another note, Lenihan is the second City player to suffer from concussion this year. Along with Barry Murphy in the Rovers v Rovers game thats at least 3 players off the top of my head in the LOI to suffer that so far this year. Our players were both taken out of the action due to the severity but that should be the default position in World Football in my opinion. I was disgusted to see Shamrock Rovers leave Murphy in goal when he had been clearly knocked unconscious. Similarly there were two instances of this in the World Cup where the player was allowed to play on. Any suspected concussion should result in the player being removed regardless of the situation on the pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Longford 1-1 Waterford HT
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,525 Posts
    3-1 Longford.

Not even God can stop them now.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Tony Cousins probably can though.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Buttimer is a pathetic excuse for a ref. Absolutely robbed us tonight. Didn't deserve to lose the game at all. Gutted.
    Athlone Town AFC 1887-2017

21. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,082 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Tony Cousins probably can though.
    In fairness to him he's keeping it fairly simple. Playing our best players and keeping the ball on the ground as much as possible has produced eight wins in a row. Waterford were decent tonight actually. Jack Doherty was a threat all night.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ATFC-1887 View Post
    Buttimer is a pathetic excuse for a ref. Absolutely robbed us tonight. Didn't deserve to lose the game at all. Gutted.
    I'm not sure he robbed you of a result, your poor finishing probably let you down more bit I agree he was shocking.

Delighted with the win with all the players we were missing, we didn't play well tho but into 3rd and only 6 off Cork so our European hopes still alive. Big few weeks coming up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    I'm not sure he robbed you of a result, your poor finishing probably let you down more bit I agree he was shocking.

Delighted with the win with all the players we were missing, we didn't play well tho but into 3rd and only 6 off Cork so our European hopes still alive. Big few weeks coming up.
    Well yeah that is true but we should of had a penalty in the first half. But our finishing did cost us.
    Athlone Town AFC 1887-2017

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Absolutely disgusted to see people blaming Paddy Kavanagh for Lenihan's injury. It was a really unfortunate accident that neither player is responsible for. I'm delighted to see he's OK and, even as Stu rightly points out the recovery position was the wrong decision, it was great to see his fellow players on both sides only had eyes for his well-being.

On a side note, Rovers were dreadful again and Croly has to go. Anybody here can tell you I have defended him to the hilt and last season I was convinced he was building something but this season he has just got worse and worse despite a reasonably good league position.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast