Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Drogheda sign Finnish international striker

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/11/04/story174389.html

Drogs sign Finnish international striker
    04/11/2004 - 16:26:09

Drogheda United have begun their preparations for next season with the signing of Finland international striker Sami Ristila.

Ristila, aged 30 and capped three times by the Finland, has signed from newly-crowned Finnish premier league champions FC Haka in a two-year deal which begins on January 1, 2005.

He signed for Drogheda on Monday having trained with Paul Doolin’s squad for last week.
    That looks a good signing, an international from a pretty decent international side coming from the champions of Finland. I heard he was Hakas top scorer last year and only one off the top scorer in the whole league. I've also heard Drogheda could emerge as contenders for the signatures of Bohs soon to be out of contract players, namely Webb, Hunt and Crowe. If they sign only one or two of them and if this guy is any good, Drogheda could really do something next season.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    its probably only the lack of strength in depth in their squad that prevented them really challenging this season. they're looking good

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    can't wait for all the "what a finn-ish!" etc headlines next year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    can't wait for all the "what a finn-ish!" etc headlines next year
    Jaysus, we're going to get them every time he scores aren't we? It'll be worse than the Czech puns around when Ireland played them

Though it has to be said, it's a good sign for the league that we can attract in players like that. He's giving up champions league football in Finland to play for a side in the EL that could end up not playing in Europe at all next season, that has to be a good sign for the league. The signings like him, Ndo, Moore and Juan Sara are a sign that the reputation of the league is improving throughout Europe, even if only a little bit it all counts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Apparently Doolin went to Finland to look at another player but this lad impressed him a lot more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    'The signings like him, Ndo, Moore and Juan Sara are a sign that the reputation of the league is improving throughout Europe, even if only a little bit it all counts.'

disagree, they're all coming here for the money. Theres alot of players in the EL on better money than those in Division 2 in England (or whatever its called now).

Formerly: dublinharp carrickharp's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    Jaysus, we're going to get them every time he scores aren't we? It'll be worse than the Czech puns around when Ireland played them

Though it has to be said, it's a good sign for the league that we can attract in players like that. He's giving up champions league football in Finland to play for a side in the EL that could end up not playing in Europe at all next season, that has to be a good sign for the league. The signings like him, Ndo, Moore and Juan Sara are a sign that the reputation of the league is improving throughout Europe, even if only a little bit it all counts.
    Pity he diden't sign for FINN Harps
    “Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete.” - Sid Waddell
    www.donegaldarts.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daviddrog
    'The signings like him, Ndo, Moore and Juan Sara are a sign that the reputation of the league is improving throughout Europe, even if only a little bit it all counts.'

disagree, they're all coming here for the money. Theres alot of players in the EL on better money than those in Division 2 in England (or whatever its called now).
    There's always a moaner!
    Forzadrogs.....A blog by a Drog with an opinion!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    theres a difference between a moaner and a realist and if people think they're coming here for the ahem increased profile of the league they're only fooling themselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's not really too relevent though is it? The fact that we can afford the players when we couldn't before means we're now getting a higher class of player from abroad and as a result the league itself is improving. Weather there here for money or not doesn't change that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    The fact that we can afford the players when we couldn't before means we're now getting a higher class of player from abroad and as a result the league itself is improving.
    that may not necessarily be true. if it wasn't for one or two generous directors, i sincerely doubt we could afford these players, without success in europe, i doubt shels could afford theirs either.

the quality of players may have improved (only slightly IMO), but is the price worth paying? i have my doubts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinR
    that may not necessarily be true. if it wasn't for one or two generous directors, i sincerely doubt we could afford these players, without success in europe, i doubt shels could afford theirs either.

the quality of players may have improved (only slightly IMO), but is the price worth paying? i have my doubts
    The results in Europe last year by Shels and City would say the price is worth paying. Would Shels have done so well without Alan Moore and Joey Ndo? And look at the money we made from that, if teams continue to invest in the players and raise the standard that little bit more they could be challenging for a place in the champions league proper. I mean, this striker has come from the Finnish champions, last year the Finnish champions went out in the second round qualifyers only to a last minute goal to a team who ended up in the group stages, so he must be a decent standard player, that's the kind of player we need to be attracting now and I think it's a good thing that we are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Slash/Ed I totally agree with ye that the standard i the league has improved. But you implied that these players were coming over here because of the increase in profile of the league whe this is ot the case.

They're coming here for the money, plain and simple.

I'd also agree with Colins above post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    But you implied that these players were coming over here because of the increase in profile of the league whe this is ot the case.

They're coming here for the money, plain and simple.
    Well yeah you're probably right, but I do think that there has been a slight increase in the profile of the league too espically after this season which has helped a bit, but the money is obviously a big part of it too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    The money is the MAIN part of it, but on colins question 'is the price worth paying?'

slash/Ed you've highlighted the 2 success stories this season. Have a look at the other side of the coin.

If shels had a disaster of a season next season and didnt qualify for europe how would they be able to manage financially?? They're not getting good gates so obviously they have someone to bail them out? If not, they're in serious trouble

Looking more close at home. If the drogs directors stop pumping serious money into the club, well what happens to us with these players on 2 year deals?? We're back in the s_-t financially 100's of thousands of euro in debt and we'll have Mr. Roddy trying to kick us out of the league again (btw Jim, where were ye this season when rovers or dundalk couldnt pay their wages and players threatening strike action?).

League if Ireland clubs are taking a gamble, theres no doubt about that, and the question you have to ask is are Eircom League clubs living above their means?

Not saying it'll happen, just looking at the other side of the coin.