Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Limerick Desmond League 2014/15

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Limerick Desmond League 2014/15

Might as well get things rolling again with the new season only few weeks away already

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Tuesday 5th August : delegate meeting for junior and youths

Saturday 16th August : youths season starts

Sunday 17th August : junior season starts

There will be friday evening games for juniors on friday 22nd and friday 29th August

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    So that means 5 games by the end of august I think it's a bit excessive tbh if that is the case clubs could possible have 13-14 league games played by Xmas .... Any1 else any thoughts on it???

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Ya but dont the clubs have the fai junior and munster junior games before Christmas as well. And god only knows how weekends will be off around the xmas with the bad weather. No harm getting a few league games outta the way at the start.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Seems very early to start back seen as season only finished for some end of May ...it's grand for bigger clubs with little GAA but it can't be great for knockaderry , feenagh , ballysteen , breska , granagh and others if they are still involved in hurling or football ... Is soccer a ten months of the year season ??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The season is starting the 17th of August? Early enough isn't it? I wouldn't mind the Friday & Sunday games as fanaticfan says last year was a bit of a disaster with so many games called off over the bad weather, i'd say most teams didn't play a game in 2014 until the end of February!! There will be FAI, Muster Junior/Senior & possibly Oscar Trainor fixtures on some weekends also!
    Abbeyman you're right, it will be tougher for the clubs with players still involved with GAA Championship... happens every year though.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    i still think it is very early to be starting especially having 5 games in 14 days is a lot..... i understand the fact that there will be munster junior fai oscar traynor games thats fair enough but with the commitments players give with gaa also would it not be better to have 3 weeks come april if need to play 2 games a week (6games)

any news with any clubs as of yet managers players etc

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    mid September would be time enough to start the league . I think the desmond league want to show the GAA who's boss by starting this early . This doesn't bother abbey as we have plenty and the same for Ncw , you have others lower down like Athea , ballyhahill and kilcornan wheres there's very little GAA but nearly everywhere else is balancing the two and what happens starting in August is you have weakened teams and the dreaded walkover distorting the leagues and teams out of contention a month in as they have played without a lot of their stronger players . If we started in mid sept practically all GAA be finished and be better for all .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Abbey seem to be doing well in both the Junior F.ball & Senior F.ball throw in Minor & U21 could ye be missing a few? There's always going to be an over lap of the two for some clubs no matter how early or late you start the season, some just need players to try and commit as best they can. I think Broadford committed to the soccer 100% about 3 years ago when they won the league! its up to the players themselves at the end of the day...
    As twotouch said, any word on managers, transfers etc??

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It seems to me the gaa is being used as an excuse at both ends of the season. If a gaa club is going well it could be December before their season is over. I think it's a great idea to get the season up and running, much prefer to be playing games in August than having games off Sunday after Sunday in winter months

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Hardly an excuse when that is exactly what is happening, that is the risk/ problem having too many players playing both. I do agree with what you are saying with regards to playing matches, i'd sooner have games played in August than be waiting around in the winter months for a good week to allow a match to be played! Broadford will be favourites to win the Premier again this year, with Rathkeale, Abbey & Newcastle West closest. Division 1 will take some winning, with Glin, Rockhill, St. Itas & Kildimo all competing/ challenging! Div 2 will be between Shauntrade NCW B & Granagh I think.
    Tried to go on the Desmond League Website lately but it says "This Account Has Been Suspended". What's the story there?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    So we're going to spend another season discussing the gaa on a soccer website.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Well I think dublin will win the all Ireland haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    It's Donegals to lose Fanatic! Seen Glin had a good win in the junior f.ball there last week... Ha!
    Nah you're right last man back, lets talk about the soccer!! Who do ye reckon will be challenging this year? I put my early calls above.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    League winners Rathkeale or Broadford . Rathkeale to win it

Noel Murphy stepping down at NCW, depending on who takes over but I think they will be average and mid table at best

Abbey same as usual will be too inconsistant

There's nothing between the rest and a good or bad start will determine their season

Interesting if there will be 5 or 6 games played before the nationl cups start to affect fixtures, it would give a better reflection on where teams stand rather
    than having teams with 5 league games played by christmas

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Think it will be between rathkeale and broadford again..
    Ncw rovers, athea or killeaney to go back down

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I really dont see an issue with starting August 17th. Its only a week earlier than last year if I remember correctly. Last winter was the worst I can remember for games being called off so maybe the league want an earlier start to prepare for this happening again. As well as that, you get better quality games in August than the mudfest that can take place in the winter months.
    I think NCW Rvrs will be dark horses this year. Dont think they will win it but I think they wont be 100 miles off top 2. Killeaney will go down. I hope Kildimo dont go up as their pitch/facilities is a disgrace and I'm sure noone in the premier wants to go there on a Sunday morning. St Itas and Glantine should compete there. In Div 2 I think Askeaton might challenge with Granagh and NCW B

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    General consensus seems to be between Rathkeale & Broadford for the Premier again this year, in fairness you can't argue with that. NCW Rvs could do well alright nathan, but as last man back said if any team gets a poor start their season is realistically over before it has even properly begun!
    If Noel Murphy steps down, it will be interesting to see who replaces him, how they do this season will depend on that.
    Forgot about Askeaton in Div 2, heard they are putting moves in place to resurrect their club...which can only be good after a couple of disastrous seasons in the past few years.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Heard Granagh won't be fielding a side this season, which is not good to hear, anyone else hear this?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Heard this also, with some of their main players moving to Ballingarry

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast