Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Munster League Champions Trophy 2015/16

MUNSTER FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION

KEANE'S JEWELLERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS TROPHY

Season 2015-16

1st Round

Brideview Utd (West W'ford/East Cork) v Douglas Hall (MSL)

Janesboro (Limerick D.L.) v Abbeyfeale Utd (Limerick Desmond)

Newmarket Celtic (Clare) v Clonmel Celtic (TSDL)

Kerry League Winners v Hibernians (Waterford)

Quarter Finals

Janesboro or Abbeyfeale Utd v Kerry Lge Winners or Hibernians

Mi Dazza Rebels (Cork B&S Lge) v Nenagh Celtic (North Tipperary)

Brideview Utd or Douglas Hall v Newmarket Celtic or Clonmel Celtic

Drinagh Rgs (West Cork) v Grattan Utd (Cork AUL)

Proposed Dates: (depending on dates for FAI competitions)

1st Round, On or before 5th / 6th September 2015

Quarter Finals, On or before 3rd / 4th October 2015

Semi Finals, On or before 7th / 8th November 2015

Final, On or before 5th / 6th December 2015

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    It begins again... looking toward the '15-'16 season already. Tough draw for Abbeyfeale Utd, away to Janesboro! Although if you're to play them, at the start of the season is probably the best time.

Regarding the Kennedy Cup... reckon a lot of the Desmond League young fellas will be courted by teams in the City League or even the Limerick F.C under 14-15 teams...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    You're right Nathan the amalgamation is an attempt to increase or poaching power
    No, the way things are changing at underage with this move to the Elite formats I think was the driving force - we do extremely well at underage but we dont have all the age groups and even the ones we have are thin enough numbers wise
    It hopefully will make a difference at Junior level too - the past season or 2 have been a struggle for numbers as well

I hear that its at a fairly advanced stage also so fingers crossed it works out, as you say there's probably a few teams could benefit from joining - we've probably got one division too many in the league - if you could condense down you'd increase the quality.

As for our boys on the Kennedy cup - I'm hearing the outlook isn't all that great - being honest if we didn't have the lure of the Kennedy cup in the Desmond League we'd prob lose them even earlier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbrown View Post
    Its good to see ye looking to join I think. If a few more teams did it we would have a much more competitive league. The likes of Kildimo/Pallas Granagh/Ballingarry. Im guessing ye are going with Adare. That would be a few strong amalgamations around that area with shannonside and GB rovers. With the exception of abbeyfeale, NCW, Rathkeale and Broadford I think most teams need it to be bigger and better teams and more competitive outside of limerick

If nothing else it will increase yer poaching power.

Will ye hold on to the Kilcornan lads from Kennedy cup?
    AS far as I know nathan there was only one player FROM Kilcornan in the Kennedy cup squad,young Downes.Of the other three Kilcornan players one is from Pallas,one from Ballybrown and one from Kildimo.The reason Kilcornan have been without an u16s team is at that age group youngfellas seem to go back to their home club and the players who were relegated to the bench because of the imports have been sadly lost to the game.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Jaorta none of the lads is from Pallas, his house is in Kilcornan he went to Kilcornan school and he's played with all the age groups up along.
    The other 2 lads don't live in Kilcornan correct but Tomas has played with us a good few years as did his older brother and we've been glad to have them.

As for the lads lost to the game, I'd love to know who they are. For years there's be small classes in Kilcornan school, far from there being fella's jettisoned from teams there's been an attempt to get lads in to make up teams for the local lads. When as you say they return to home clubs after a few years with us it's felt big time as we've needed them to field teams, in fact we'd a good 16s team about 3 years ago and we lost 3 or 4 lads and the whole team folded for minor and we had to send our local lads out like the wild geese. Things have improved in the school numbers wise and we had 2 tens teams this year with a majority being local lads but sadly this has been the case too long with huge gaps between batches of players

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    It was a great year for Abbey this year but to be honest the standard in the Desmond league isn't what it was , the fact a lot of the football lads stuck with soccer at the end helped but outside of the top 4/5 teams there are a lot of very average teams compared to 10/20 years ago.

With regard to Kilcornan, a bit surprised their going to Adare , I know some of the Kilcornan officers think they invented soccer but a bit like their GAA boys discovered after a few attempts is Askeaton not the Logical & natural home historically ?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbeyman View Post
    I know some of the Kilcornan officers think they invented soccer
    A genuine LOL at that one Abbeyman - I can only assume you go to the Desmond League meetings - thankfully I dont
    The GAA was a tough one - there was a past history with Ballysteen rather than Askeaton and there had been success at underage level as an amalgamation - Things outside of action on the field took over - I think its a good move to try and integrate at underage again - I dont see the same natural link with Askeaton soccer being honest
    The Adare link might seem strange but is it time we look outside of the GAA/Parish model for teams? Can every parish produce competitive teams at all levels these days? There's little loyalty in soccer compared to 10/20 years ago when it was very much parish based and there's more options for lads now with a lot moving into town - tie that to a high percentage going to college/moving away for work is there a far smaller playing population in the Desmond League these days

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Im delighted you feel ye have a natural link to Adare(whatever that means)langer.I genuinely hope
    it works out for ye but I dont think other desmond league teams were falling over themselves to
    amalgamate with ye.Do you or nathan think AK wanderers will hold on to all or any of the kennedy
    cup team because it would be a shame if they left after the twinning.Being honest i find it very
    unlikely that this can work because of egos...both player and management but it would be great if two
    minor soccer clubs can form one decent club/team between them.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Ah I wasn't saying we'd a natural link (Beyond frequenting Chawkes ) with Adare just that the opportunity arose and as you say there aren't too many other's looking to amalgamate and from my point of view at least there needed to be something done - there's a difference between having a team and being competitive! When its season after season of struggle its hard to motivate or draw in players

As regards young fella's I dunno is it ever enough - the draw of the city is always there and someone mentioned above the Limerick FC underage setup is a big draw and we're only out the road really so often it isn't a hard choice for ambitious young lads - I'd hope the new club would be able to field at least one team per age group (Boys and Girls) and try to build a team capable of getting into the Premier at Junior level and let the underage players have something to progress onto - it wouldn't happen overnight and certainly would need a lot of work - the alternative would be to slowly wait to fold the club I think

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Langerdan007 View Post
    Jaorta none of the lads is from Pallas, his house is in Kilcornan he went to Kilcornan school and he's played with all the age groups up along.
    The other 2 lads don't live in Kilcornan correct but Tomas has played with us a good few years as did his older brother and we've been glad to have them.

As for the lads lost to the game, I'd love to know who they are. For years there's be small classes in Kilcornan school, far from there being fella's jettisoned from teams there's been an attempt to get lads in to make up teams for the local lads. When as you say they return to home clubs after a few years with us it's felt big time as we've needed them to field teams, in fact we'd a good 16s team about 3 years ago and we lost 3 or 4 lads and the whole team folded for minor and we had to send our local lads out like the wild geese. Things have improved in the school numbers wise and we had 2 tens teams this year with a majority being local lads but sadly this has been the case too long with huge gaps between batches of players

his house is in pallaskenry :-)
    but he has always played for kilcornan so to suggest he is a Pallas player is nonsense

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Castletown/Ballymartin must have switched allegiance so Ballistinianlad
    Always been a contentious issue with Community Games down that part of the country with many going to school in Pallas but having to compete in Kilcornan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    fair play langer.Very well explained and I can see where you are coming from re.the amalgamation.A lot of other clubs will be facing
    a similar dilemma and if yers works out it will be a good template for others to follow.As ive said in an earlier post I hope it works out
    for ye and wish ye all the best.I would expect the junior AK team to get promoted and I suppose less teams, more quality,cant be a
    bad thing for the Desmond League in general.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Cheers Jaorta - things are still with the deal makers so we'll see how it goes - Personally I cant see how every parish will be able to continue fielding a team - in the last season I've seen struggles in Knockaderry/Ferry/Granagh as well as ourselves so whether we get there this time or in the future I think we'll see a consolidation of sorts around the league

Your location is Regional, you involved with the club?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Your location is Regional, you involved with the club?[/QUOTE]

yeah,I used to be very involved at an underage level but since the love of a good woman
    brought me to the desmond hearthland its more of an advisory and scouting role now.I
    probably see more desmond league than regional matches now.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Haha - plenty good women in the West!! Ya strong Desmond presence at Regional over the years - we've had a few ply their trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Langerdan007 View Post
    Haha - plenty good women in the West!! Ya strong Desmond presence at Regional over the years - we've had a few ply their trade.
    Yeah,I seem to remember a few down the years...there were Ivess,Sheehy and Dore a
    while back and Paudie Walsh in latter years.It is a very well run club and players are very
    well looked after

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    A couple of Ivess's and a couple of Nash's as well although I guess Peter never got the chance to play in Kilcornan as his age group never had a team.

From what I hear they might be welcoming a few more young lads soon enough!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    everyone seems to think that amalgamation is the way to go and it seems that is what the future holds with the idea of less teams in the desmond league will improve the football, personally i think that is a load of bull. i can not see how bringing the league down to maybe two divisions or maybe three with less teams will be good for the game you will join two clubs get the best out of each club and have a good side alright but what happens to the ones left out my guess is they give up and then to me that means football is not for everyone only the elite. that is what summer soccer will bring to the schoolboys so lads remember this day i said football is in trouble when the amalgamations take place, hold on to your clubs as long as you can lads.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Fair point Shoot but rather than an issue with quality for lots of clubs its a numbers game - Players move around much more freely these days - I dont think any club wants to give up their identity but sometimes their isn't much else that can be done

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Shoot, I dont think its a matter of reducing the amount of clubs or leagues. I think it will benefit the league if we had less clubs but the same amount of teams. So if 2 mediocre teams amalgamate they will have a decent first team and a second team for those who either cant or dont want to play at a higher level. The same would apply to underage.

Regarding Regional, they were the real 'Go To' team in the city for desmond league players back then, my own young lad played with them, there was 3 Adare lads on the team, 1 kilcornan, 1 Pallaskenry, 2 Kildimo and 2 Askeaton as far as I can remember and the manager was an Askeaton man, they were very successful at the time. That age group you mentioned above Jaorta with Ivess, Dore and Sheehy had a good desmond league contingent aswell with a couple of Pallaskenry lads and 2 Kildimo and 2 shanagolden lads, they were also managed by an askeaton man. Good club run by good people.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536