Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Newcastlewest 3 Summerville 3

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ballingarry 2 1 Beska Rovers! Newcastle West obviously have a decent team so ? Rumours again at the start of the season that they have no team

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    some pre season results iv heard

Newcastle 3-3 Summerville
    Ballingarry 2-1 Breska Rovers
    Regional 1-1 Newcastle Rvrs
    Glantine 1-3 Newcastle B
    Broadford 2-2 Mallow

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Bally Rovers 2 Feenagh 3
    Broadford United B 5 Feenagh B 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Heard last night that Newcastle West lost 7-3 to Moyross the weekend! I didn't hear any other friendly results.
    Has the start date of the season been confirmed?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hello everyone. This is my first time posting,but I've been following this site for the last couple of years and I think it's great. I have been going to desmond league games for the last 20 + years. I try and see as many games as I can,from premier right down the divisions. I know its only pre-season,but there are two teams that I think will have a season. First is Newcastle. I was told by a good friend that they are going after 5 top players and they should have them by the start of the season. The second is a team in division 1.Pallaskenry. they got in a new manager and they have a premier manager from town doing there pre-season training with them and they got in a number of new players. Two weeks ago I watched them play summervill A and the final score was 3-3. I must say they played some great ball.well they are the two teams I will be keeping a close eye on

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    starting friday week

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Seemingly a number of clubs have requested the start to be pushed out a few weeks and the issue will be discussed at a desmond league committee meeting tonight

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Hopefully the league will give clubs a break and push start back a fortnight , with emigration and middle of GAA a lot of clubs will struggle big time , two weeks would see a lot of clubs finished in football and make for a better league even if a few clubs are still juggling

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    How do men - been out of the loop for a while - no surprise to hear teams struggling to field teams - things very slow getting going for ourselves this year

I'd be for playing a nice few games early on - i'd doubt all clubs would play every Friday but it would help getting a few extra games on the board before any weather delays or anything - I'd also like to see the few B teams there are in the leagues being the ones getting the most games played early - they always struggle later missing out for Munster Junior/FAI and things their A's are stuck in which unbalances the leagues

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    That's a good point about b teams. Was talking to a friend who plays in north tipp. They play diviosnal shield over first 2 weeks, Wednesday / Sunday / Wednesday / Sunday . I think we should do the same with league cup would also give teams a chance to get squad together .

This was done about 8 years ago but some clubs objected saying if they were out of contention in January they'd have nothing left to play for and it was scrapped

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    No change to date for start of season. First games Sunday 17th August .

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Thought the league was starting on the friday 15th no? friday and sunday for the first two weeks. Could be wrong though

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No it's starting Sunday 17th and then games the next Friday and Sunday, it was announced at the meeting Tuesday night

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by last man back View Post
    That's a good point about b teams. Was talking to a friend who plays in north tipp. They play diviosnal shield over first 2 weeks, Wednesday / Sunday / Wednesday / Sunday . I think we should do the same with league cup would also give teams a chance to get squad together .

This was done about 8 years ago but some clubs objected saying if they were out of contention in January they'd have nothing left to play for and it was scrapped
    I was only thinking about that the other night LMB - the league cup used last 3-4 weeks - allowed teams play into the start of the season and got the majority of the GAA boys back into the fold before the league started BUT I can see the reasoning on why it was changed - its true you could be playing for nothing by January and last season we went on a run to the final which kept us going up to the end, we'd have had zero to play for with 5 or 6 games left and as is the tradition with teams in that position, finding it hard to field a team

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    Hello everyone. This is my first time posting,but I've been following this site for the last couple of years and I think it's great. I have been going to desmond league games for the last 20 + years. I try and see as many games as I can,from premier right down the divisions. I know its only pre-season,but there are two teams that I think will have a season. First is Newcastle. I was told by a good friend that they are going after 5 top players and they should have them by the start of the season. The second is a team in division 1.Pallaskenry. they got in a new manager and they have a premier manager from town doing there pre-season training with them and they got in a number of new players. Two weeks ago I watched them play summervill A and the final score was 3-3. I must say they played some great ball.well they are the two teams I will be keeping a close eye on
    you must be watching newcastle rovers old man. if your talking about newcastle west afc then you must be mad. Havent they lost seoirse joyce,adam collins,padraig kinahan and peter shanahan to ncw rovers? And scott hurley to broadford? And michael quilligan to rathkeale? Going by someones post earlier the fitzgeralds have left as well? i guess we wont know until.the league actually starts i suppose.
    Last edited by fanaticfan; 08/08/2014 at 10:56 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Who is everyone tipping to win the league? im going to go for rathkeale this year. Heard they brought in peter and declan nash from the city league and michael quilligan from newcastle west.. they went to the final game of the season with broadford so ill tip them if they have brought in those players.

Im going to tip newcastle west and killeaney to go down to the first division. Killeaney are like yoyos going down then back up and down again and then back up. Im only tipping newcastle to go down from the reasons that supposedly they have lost alot of their players from last year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I heard Declan Nash signed alright as well as Micahel Quilligan, apparently Seoirse Joyce was training with them too! Didn't hear anything about Peter Nash though, Keith Hartnett was supposed to be going back aswell (I know it's said every year) but i think he's out injured at the moment! Still reckon Broadford are the team to beat though, they just seem to play well together, don't understand how they haven't won more to be honest! And with Scott Hurley & Tony Quaid joining them (apparently), they will take beating. I reckon Abbey will be there or there abouts too myself.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ballingarry won 6:1 against Adare with a mix of A and B players. Heard Danny Neville signed for Rathkeale this year which will be a big boost for them

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast