Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Conor Hourihane M Derby b.1991

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    He is going from strength to strength <cough>.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uowb8qLzSV4
    Oh dear. At least he knows where he can improve his game as he pushes up the divisions.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    http://bbs.barnsleyfc.org.uk/showthr...-will-be-gone&

General consensus on there within four hours of the original post is that Hourihane will be gone in January, with a few of £500,000 being mooted. Pure speculation though.

I must point to one poster who reckoned Hourihane was sh*te for 80 minutes yesterday.

That's Eoin Doyle and Conor Hourihane who have both leapt into L1 from L2 with no transition period. Fingers crossed they get some Championship exposure before 2014/15 is out. Although Chesterfield are well-positioned in the table, Doyle will be 27 in March.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 14/09/2014 at 2:35 PM.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Some more of his goals form Saturday.

I think anyone getting him for £500,00 would be laughing, half a dozen cracking goals hints he may have some ability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Second goal

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I wouldn't go as far as saying he'll be snapped up, but he was clearly a class above anyone at Plymouth in League Two so it's no surprise he's handled the step up to Barnsley with ease.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as saying he'll be snapped up, but he was clearly a class above anyone at Plymouth in League Two so it's no surprise he's handled the step up to Barnsley with ease.

I do not quite get it, I have been watching ireland for years and I haven't seen anyone who can score so apparently effortlessly
    a Hourihane.
    OK maybe I have not seen the 2,000 shots he has taken and missed.

Anyhow I was watching Man United today with their new signing Di Maria and as I was watching I was thinking what a talented player
    Hourihane is.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He's on a good run of 4 or 5 games - he's scoring regularly because he's a good player whose confidence is sky-high. Eoin Doyle has 7 in 6 in the same league. I've seen Keane and even Long on similar scoring form. Stokes goes through patches in the SPL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    He's on a good run of 4 or 5 games - he's scoring regularly because he's a good player whose confidence is sky-high. Eoin Doyle has 7 in 6 in the same league. I've seen Keane and even Long on similar scoring form. Stokes goes through patches in the SPL.
    But the quality of his goals is something else we seem to lack a player who can score those kind of goals ie like Lampard?

Eoin Doyle, is another interesting one, maybe I will have to start raving about him.

I thinks I would play Eoin Doye up front with Hourihane right behind him, I am fairly confident they could
    put 4 pays Germany, indeed I bet the Germans are hoping Martin O'Neil isn't reading this, you can be pretty
    sure they are

(Doyle is 8 in 7 if you include the Capital One Cup) play em both against Germany and I guarantee we
    will score at least 2, meaning Germany need 3 or for for a result, more if McGeady adds to the party.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 15/09/2014 at 1:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The quality of his goals is unquestioned - the question is whether he can do it at a level where he won't be given so much space to shoot, and whether his all-round game could allow him to benefit the team while also allowing him to take up those position.

Doyle is a case in point - never a prolific striker, but he's on a run now and long may it continue. Paddy Madden had a similar run at Yeovil and now he's back down at the bottom end of League One, still scoring goals but his momentum has been halted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    The quality of his goals is unquestioned - the question is whether he can do it at a level where he won't be given so much space to shoot, and whether his all-round game could allow him to benefit the team while also allowing him to take up those position.

Doyle is a case in point - never a prolific striker, but he's on a run now and long may it continue. Paddy Madden had a similar run at Yeovil and now he's back down at the bottom end of League One, still scoring goals but his momentum has been halted.
    Madden was a different type of player I think a lot of his goals were in the box, not many spectacular ones as I remember.
    I was thinking he is unlikely to get the same sort of service with Ireland, mind you you could say the same for Hourihane
    however his goal are more created by himself, he does not need a lot of space and he will get a bit of space at the distance
    he is scoring from.

Anyway, take a look at Jack Grealish's goals and Hourihanes and tell me who is the best?

Anyhow I think we should take more interest in those who are scoring, Aidan McGeady won't be around forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The one constant in all of Hourihane's goals is that he had plenty of space to line up his shot. It's the same for every player in League One - you get more space than you do at a higher level.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Madden was a different type of player I think a lot of his goals were in the box, not many spectacular ones as I remember.
    I was thinking he is unlikely to get the same sort of service with Ireland, mind you you could say the same for Hourihane
    however his goal are more created by himself, he does not need a lot of space and he will get a bit of space at the distance
    he is scoring from.

Anyway, take a look at Jack Grealish's goals and Hourihanes and tell me who is the best?

Anyhow I think we should take more interest in those who are scoring, Aidan McGeady won't be around forever.
    I would still say Grealish - while Hourihane obviously has a very decent left leg on him when striking from distance, Grealish was dancing through defences last season and he was five years younger than Hourihane is (and remember, MK Dons had the tie sewn up at this point and probably had eased up). That said, Hourihane still has time to move up a division and add himself to our potential midfield options and I would be delighted if he does.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    He makes his own space, look at the last goal he makes his space from nowhere.
    Look back at the goals we do get space in those areas but we lack the ability to score from there.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    The main thing is that he has taken a step back up the ladder. Let's hope it continues but he's not going to play for us while playing in Division One.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    The main thing is that he has taken a step back up the ladder. Let's hope it continues but he's not going to play for us while playing in Division One.
    Why not we let championship strikers who score less goals in a season than he score in month play for us?

Judge his ability not the league he plays in, those shots would have gone in in a Champions League final.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Think the level of competition has to be taking into consideration some bit, otherwise where would you draw the line? That said, if he continues the way he's going for a prolonged period I certainly wouldn't begrudge a call up, even if he is still in League One. I wouldn't get too excited yet though and think OwlsFans's first sentence is exactly where things are at, right now.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I agree, but equally I think the Irish management could help him up that ladder by giving him a call up. I'm not saying a token call up, but I think managers of small countries' national teams can afford the occasional strategic call up, assuming they genuinely believe he has further to go.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Hourihane is typical of the type of player who will represent Ireland from now on. Joined a big club, completed an apprenticeship there, released and now beginning to find his feet in football. What it means is we will produce quality players at a later stage in their careers which is no bad thing.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quality players at a later stage who never make it past championship at best, unless lucky enough to be in a championship team that get promoted.

That is most definitely a bad thing.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    The lad's obviously got talent and a good attitude. Let's see what happens. If he finds his level and it's not international standard it's hardly a crime. If he makes international standard then great. With a bit of luck he'll reach full potential.

Keane obviously knows him which might count for something.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast