Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Conor Hourihane M Derby b.1991

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Shows everybody how clever he is. MON was a good manager but petulant.
    Literally nobody was calling for Christie to play in midfield. By playing him there O’Neill wasn’t proving anyone wrong.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Literally nobody was calling for Christie to play in midfield. By playing him there O’Neill wasn’t proving anyone wrong.
    Fair enough. I kind of got wrapped up between that and the three at the back he disastrously tried a couple of times.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Except maybe himself ! Maybe it was a further sign that football had moved on from O’Neill's time. I can remember both Mark Lawrenson and Paul McGrath ( obviously players levels above Cyrus Christie ) doing jobs for Ireland in Midfield but would they be able to do such a job in modern football = = Highly doubtful !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    He is not even a good right back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Barkley in, Hourihane out, for Villa this evening.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Manager says Barkley gets the nod due to his physicality. I can see his point- Hourihane is probably not combative enough for the likes of Wijnaldum and Keita, not to mention Firmino and Salah putting the squeeze on.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Barkley is doing very well tonight. He is getting beyond the Liverpool midfielders and defenders and creating chances. Grealish is also playing further forward so it should be Barkley, McGinn and Hourihane into two spots in front of Luiz. Hourihane will get a lot of games against teams that sit deeper. And, in Watkins, it looks like they have a man to capitalize from the supply Hourihane would give.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Barkley is doing very well tonight. He is getting beyond the Liverpool midfielders and defenders and creating chances. Grealish is also playing further forward so it should be Barkley, McGinn and Hourihane into two spots in front of Luiz.
    That's a battle I cannot see him winning. Let's be honest - this was not a good week for Hourihane to lose his place in the team. If they score seven the week you're not playing, you're probably going to be waiting for injuries and suspensions to kick in before you get your place back.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Not a good week? Doesn't make it a particularly bad week. He wasn't an undisputed starter last season. Villa have started the season well. They will surely be better than last season. They may improve this season beyond a level at which Hourihane can get his place in the team. For now, yeah Barkley had a good game but Villa were always going to improve their side this window. And there will be a lot of games. They will have to rotate. He will get games this season.

10. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Starts in the Premier League, getting a goal and an assist while he's at it, get's called up by his country, sees his team win 7-2 against the league champions, all before picking up his weekly £30,000 paycheque.

I don't know about you, but I've had worse weeks, personally...

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Starts in the Premier League, getting a goal and an assist while he's at it, get's called up by his country, sees his team win 7-2 against the league champions, all before picking up his weekly £30,000 paycheque.

Made me laugh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Has anyone checked if Ollie Watkins has an Irish granny?
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post

Where did it all go wrong ? ?

16. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    I'm sure there aren't many bad weeks as a Premier League footballer however, as I said, it was a bad week to lose his place in the team with Villa scoring 7 without him. Realistically as long as Grealish, McGinn and Barkley are available to Villa he won't be a first team regular starter, which he had been set to be this coming season,up until this week.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    I can see your point but I just don't think he had been set for that. It was inevitable that they would add to their squad and if you're Dean Smith adding to your squad then it's difficult not to improve on Hourihane. I couldn't see him as being a first choice or undisputed regular (he wasn't really that last season). Filling in for Barkley and McGinn when they're injured or suspended or rested (as will be more common this season) is not a bad position for Hourihane. And he'll serve a purpose against teams that sit deep.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Next summer his contract is up at villa but I would like to sign him for another 2 years with villa - maybe not as a starter but he's a great back up and coming into games with his set plays

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I don't always subscribe to this conclusion of "club signs player, Irish player in jeopardy" which I think we are very prone to doing as Irish supporters.

Villa played 4-3-3 their last game out. Jack Grealish played as part of the front three. Last season did he not tend to play on the left of the middle three? Interesting timing for him to move there on the back of a) Gareth Southgate stating he doesn't fit into his team b) him getting his England debut and c) him signing a long term deal.

If this signing is being made to accommodate Grealish moving further forward then Hourihane is in the exact same position as last year i.e. himself, Luiz, McGinn and one more challenging for three spots. However, it is now slightly easier for him given that Grealish isn't there as nailed on for one of the berths.

I do think that Hourihane has goodwill in the bank and it is clear that he contributes enough to warrant racking up at least 20 league starts.

All in all, Barkley is a different type of player (more similar to McGinn?) and might reduce Hourihane's appearances but there are mitigating circumstances. I think he'll be fine. He's come good with an assist and/or a goal most of the times he has needed to.
    Hourihane an unused sub again tonight, only 89 minutes of game time across 2 matches (both defeats) for him since the transfer window closed. I wonder if he'll be linked with any moves in January, he doesn't really seem to be in the first team plans at Villa now.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    He's not good enough to get into that Villa side, who have moved on significantly since last season. Bar injuries he wont be getting many minutes there.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Will Grealish be going to Man Utd ? I suppose Villa would get a lot of dough to replace Grealish if he does. Will Grealish behave himself if he does get such a move ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    It's telling that Villa were cannon fodder last year and Hourihane was a regular, and he can't get a sniff now that they're playing well.

Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Will Grealish behave himself if he does get such a move ?
    Do we care? He's not our player. If he moves on and Hourihane gets more game-time, that's a win for us.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast