Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Conor Hourihane M Derby b.1991

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    It's telling that Villa were cannon fodder last year and Hourihane was a regular, and he can't get a sniff now that they're playing well.

Do we care? He's not our player. If he moves on and Hourihane gets more game-time, that's a win for us.
    As your post kinda says Hourihane is not really Premiership standard. Villa would probably but better with the Grealish Money if he does leave Villa.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    They'll try. Transfers don't always work out. Hourihane might do well to move on anyway, if the opportunity presents itself.

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    They'll try. Transfers don't always work out. Hourihane might do well to move on anyway, if the opportunity presents itself.
    He’d be better playing regularly in the Championship if he could get such a transfer. I wish the Fellow well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    It was Bruce who signed him for Villa, wonder if he would have any interest in taking him to Newcastle?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    It was Bruce who signed him for Villa, wonder if he would have any interest in taking him to Newcastle?
    As a Newcastle fan, please no. We've suffered enough under Bruce as it is. Hourihane is not better than Shelvey, Hayden, Hendrick or the Longstaffs and is older than all of them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I don't think there will be a Premier League move available to Conor. He has done well to make it to this level though and get a season as a sort of first team regular with Villa last season. I'd imagine there would be championship interest or, if he doesn't fancy dropping back down, there would be clubs outside the UK that would go for a player with his experience also.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I don't think there will be a Premier League move available to Conor. He has done well to make it to this level though and get a season as a sort of first team regular with Villa last season. I'd imagine there would be championship interest or, if he doesn't fancy dropping back down, there would be clubs outside the UK that would go for a player with his experience also.
    The Lad has worked hard to get where he has and probably has got as much out of the ability he has ~ Fair dues to him.

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Looks likely to go out on loan this month. Swansea mentioned but other clubs apparently keen as well. While he falls short at Premier League level I could understand why a lot of Championship teams might be interested in him. Presumably Villa would see a loan as putting him in the shop window for a permanent transfer in the summer.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    The Athletic are saying that Bournemouth are in for Hourihane- initially on loan until the end of the season but there may be an option of a permanent deal depending on promotion. The same article credits Swansea and Watford with an interest in him too. It appears that Bournemouth are leading the race though as they "have shown a serious interest" and "now hope to finalise a switch."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Bournemouth also signing Jack Wilshere. Not sure the two of them fit in the same side.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Bournemouth also signing Jack Wilshere. Not sure the two of them fit in the same side.
    Would Jack be signing to play or just to fill the role of injured payer ?

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    He's gone to Swansea on loan for the rest of the season.

He'll do well there.

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Goal on the league debut for Hourihane to open the scoring for Swansea. He's a good championship player.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Screamer from outside the box for Hourihane tonight - that's three in three for him - I think he's found his level: https://youtu.be/s05_9BQsm30?t=115

22. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Screamer from outside the box for Hourihane tonight - that's three in three for him - I think he's found his level: https://youtu.be/s05_9BQsm30?t=115
    Yeah, I think saying that he has found his level is probably fair overall. I definitely think that he could be of use to a Premiership side like he was for Villa last season but the risk is that, at 30, he doesn't get regular games wherever he goes.

That was a big result for Swansea. A six pointer. They can now take the lead in the table from Norwich if they win their game in hand.

Wouldn't be surprised then if they held onto Hourihane if they did get into the Premiership next season.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    I thought he was out of contract in the summer and the likes of Swansea would be able to pick him up on a free, but it says in the article linked below that it doesn't expire until summer 2022.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/spo...ansea-19767639

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    It's a good goal, but he had the freedom of the park to take that shot. If you leave an attacking midfielder, with a reputation for scoring from distance, on his own with a clear sight of goal, what do you think will happen?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Hes doing annoying well since going to Swansea. He had a swagger about him against Norwich that I've never seen in him in a green shirt. I say annoying well because he will most likely be picked for Serbia off the back of this form and he will most likely go missing in that game as usual.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Hes doing annoying well since going to Swansea. He had a swagger about him against Norwich that I've never seen in him in a green shirt. I say annoying well because he will most likely be picked for Serbia off the back of this form and he will most likely go missing in that game as usual.
    This is my fear as well. We know he can do the things he has been doing for Swansea in the last few weeks, he has always had that in his locker. The problem is that at international level he hasn't been able to find the space on the field to make those contributions and otherwise he has been the equivalent of bring a man down.

We have been overrun in midfield repeatedly in the last three years to the point that I would happily sacrifice the one off abilities of Hourihane, which he rarely produces in an Ireland shirt anyway, for a hard working box to box midfielder who is less creative but can win us the midfield battle and control of the play.

To be fair to Mick we didn't have a realistic alternative to Hourihane during his time in charge (unless possibly Browne) but we have Molumby and Knight emerging now, who are both also excelling at the same level as Hourihane is and are 10 years or so younger and already have a better all round game. I would still want to see at least one of those two starting in March, but I fear it will be Hendrick and Hourihane yet again.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    We need to play two holding midfielders against Serbia; probably two of Cullen/McCarthy/Molumby. We're far too easy to get at right now.

Hourihane should probably be considered a McLoughlin-type option from the bench if we need a goal. He's an extremely good striker of the ball and taker of set-pieces.

29. Thanks From:

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast