Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Premiere League rubbish?

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Is the Premier League rubbish?

So England go home with a miserly point.

I think the Premier league is damaging for English and Irish players
    because of all the foreign players pushing them out to the top clubs
    and ultimately out of football altogether.

It is interesting when you look at the teams going home early:-

England, Italy, Spain, what do they all have in common?
    They all play in an international league packed with foreign 'mercenaries'.
    I think that brings a lot of negatives to the national team, too little opportunity
    combined with too much money. Player's allegiance is to their club not their country.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 24/06/2014 at 8:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Tricky... spelling of thread titles... sort it out...
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Having leagues packed with foreign mercenaries didn't do Italy and Spain much damage when they were winning the last two World Cups. And by your logic Irish players are foreign mercenaries so should presumably be doing well out of it all.

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Don't Spain and Italy have a much much higher number, and percentage, of home grown players in their leagues?

England's problem is that it is a league run to maximise TV revenue globally. It's a league run by the elite clubs for the elite clubs. The league earns 5.5 billion quod over 3 seasons yet there is a facilities crisis in grassroots football. The FA is a peripheral figure in running its own game. Germany's league is run with producing a good national team as one of its objectives, though it too has a high-ish number of overseas players.

Italy has its own unique governance problems.

i think there's a lot of over analysis though. England lost two very tight games that they could easily have won, especially if their much touted world class Rooney lived up to his billing. He missed a key chance at a key moment in each game. Ballotelli had one chance and took it, Suarez had two and took both. I do, however, think England are unable to go out and utilise a gameplan and I also think Hodgson was too quick to try and satisfy the press by giving them what they wanted, attacking football from young players. If his instinct was to draw against Italy he should have played for it.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Having leagues packed with foreign mercenaries didn't do Italy and Spain much damage when they were winning the last two World Cups. And by your logic Irish players are foreign mercenaries so should presumably be doing well out of it all.
    I think Irish player are a different category altogether, they have a long tradition of playing in english leagues.

As for Italy and Spain winning the last two World Cup well:-

1) We are further down the road than than us Spain they have 59% home grown the Premiership
    is down to 32.26%

2) Italy and Spain did better than England both actually won a game!!!

3) There will be a considerable time lag before the damage feeds through, 10 years or more, England have
    been rubbish for some time. England had 35.43% in 2007-08 so the rot is well set in, firmly bedded.
    Unfortunately I don't have complete stats but just a general impression.

But I think it must be damaging because ultimately you end up with less home grown players
    playing the game. Let choice available, player who might have been late developers give up on the
    game early because of the stiff competition, and younger players who would have go a club in the past
    don't get a club any more.

I think it leads to player losing their national identity and pride too there main concern is their club and raking
    in the big bucks.

Why bother busting a gut in the World Cup when it could mean injury and a huge loss in income?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Tricky... spelling of thread titles... sort it out...
    I can't seem to change the title in the forum listing just in the tread title in the thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Don't Spain and Italy have a much much higher number, and percentage, of home grown players in their leagues?

England's problem is that it is a league run to maximise TV revenue globally. It's a league run by the elite clubs for the elite clubs. The league earns 5.5 billion quod over 3 seasons yet there is a facilities crisis in grassroots football. The FA is a peripheral figure in running its own game. Germany's league is run with producing a good national team as one of its objectives, though it too has a high-ish number of overseas players.

Italy has its own unique governance problems.

i think there's a lot of over analysis though. England lost two very tight games that they could easily have won, especially if their much touted world class Rooney lived up to his billing. He missed a key chance at a key moment in each game. Ballotelli had one chance and took it, Suarez had two and took both. I do, however, think England are unable to go out and utilise a gameplan and I also think Hodgson was too quick to try and satisfy the press by giving them what they wanted, attacking football from young players. If his instinct was to draw against Italy he should have played for it.
    Yes they do, Spain has 59% as I stated earlier, can't find figures for Italy but more than 59% I expect.

And even Germany could be packing their bags early, remember the USA beat Ghana, Germany could only manage
    a draw. Portugal also packing their bags, not sure of the composition of their league though.

Perhaps also worth noting France are actually losing players to foreign clubs which means more French player
    coming into replace them creating a greater player pool and France are doing well, as are Holland and Belgium
    but I don't have any solid info on them but I doubt they have a huge amount of foreign players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Yes they do, Spain has 59% as I stated earlier, can't find figures for Italy but more than 59% I expect.

And even Germany could be packing their bags early, remember the USA beat Ghana, Germany could only manage
    a draw. Portugal also packing their bags, not sure of the composition of their league though.

Perhaps also worth noting France are actually losing players to foreign clubs which means more French player
    coming into replace them creating a greater player pool and France are doing well, as are Holland and Belgium
    but I don't have any solid info on them but I doubt they have a huge amount of foreign players.
    And all three of those countries benefit from huge links with former colonial outposts.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I can't seem to change the title in the forum listing just in the tread title in the thread.
    Another example of you not being sure, so hedging your bets?

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Japan is a big country with its own league. Conclusion?

The odds are against European countries in South America. The reasons for Europe and Africa's underperformance are many and varied and let's not forget, it's football, stuff happens.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    I think Irish player are a different category altogether, they have a long tradition of playing in english leagues.
    Without wanting to wander down well-trodden arguments, we really need to stop lumping ourselves in with England and develop our own footballing culture. And we've improved on that in recent years in fairness (Forde, Hoolahan, Delaney, Sammon, Fahey, Coleman, Long, Doyle, etc in the national team). But we need to break free from the shackles of the English game.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Without wanting to wander down well-trodden arguments, we really need to stop lumping ourselves in with England and develop our own footballing culture. And we've improved on that in recent years in fairness (Forde, Hoolahan, Delaney, Sammon, Fahey, Coleman, Long, Doyle, etc in the national team). But we need to break free from the shackles of the English game.
    Perhaps interesting that Coleman developed in Gaelic football, which says something about football coaching I think!!!

But what is that something?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    I think to answer your original point -

The Premier League isn't rubbish. That's clear by how well the teams do in Europe. (Even a bad season is better than most other leagues) Stutts' answer covered all the bases, in my opinion.

I just wanted to highlight that we need to get away from the mindset of "Sure England will train our players; we can't do it ourselves" Clearly we can.

I do agree with you that the amount of foreigners in the Premiership is hurting the English national team. But that's different from the PL being rubbish. And if that's where the money is...

18. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    (Cole)man is born free, but in England he is in chains -- Keely

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Perhaps interesting that Coleman developed in Gaelic football, which says something about football coaching I think!!!

But what is that something?
    Coleman developed in a very good underage system in St Catherines clubs in Killybegs as well as Gaelic football. The lad grew up playing football every spare hour of his days too. There's a lot to be said for the commitment from a young fella.

Imagine if we had a properly looked after football league system and underage system in this country..we wouldn't have to give a damn what happens in England, or how strong the 'Premiere League' is.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Coleman developed in a very good underage system in St Catherines clubs in Killybegs as well as Gaelic football. The lad grew up playing football every spare hour of his days too. There's a lot to be said for the commitment from a young fella.

Imagine if we had a properly looked after football league system and underage system in this country..we wouldn't have to give a damn what happens in England, or how strong the 'Premiere League' is.
    I'd say he got some pretty good instruction in Sligo too and in Everton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'd say he got some pretty good instruction in Sligo too and in Everton.
    How positively Dodgian of you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    I'm hoping that this will be a watershed moment for English football similar to the 5-2 defeat by Hungary with the knock-on effect being beneficial for our young lads, who, (though I wish it wasn't the case), are still going to be moving there in the future.

I've never seen the English react to failure like this, even when Romania knocked them out at the 2000 Euros.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Yes, but unless you undo the last say few hundred years of history for various reasons, we're never going to have the population to justify this. Plus large parts of the current populace, rightly or wrongly, are significantly into other sports!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    I agree. It has been said numerous times in the last few years - if I remember Ray Houghton and Packie Bonner were the last two big names to say it - that we need to develop our game at home if the international team is to be successful. If this World Cup has thought me anything it's that teams built around teamwork (wow what a novel idea) with a certain cameraderie built out of longish relationships playing together, and working towards a common goal (ie players not putting themselves in the shop window for their next big money contract) is paramount to success.

The LOI could provide that to some degree if it ever got the finances needed to get going. And I would really love to see our young lads head off to placed like Belgium, France, Holland instead of slavishly to England all the time. The game there teaches them nothing.

27. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast