Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: International Players and Social Media - just wrong!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

International Players and Social Media - just wrong!

There's been a bit of debate on this site about internationals (and potential internationals) and their twitter postings of late. Without naming any names, I cannot reconcile why in god's name some players are coming out with such daft, provocative and arguably career damaging tweets.... I would seriously question the ability of such serial tweeters to harbour the right mentality to make it as top players in the long run.
    Last edited by Grafter; 19/06/2014 at 10:14 PM.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I think you can "name names". No one will be sued if you link to some tweets.

So much is just wiped up by a media constantly seeking the latest outrage story - and indulged by a readership who want nothing but outrage.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I actually think its ok. In a ridiculous way it shows the players are humans and not just the mindless robots that we see in after match interviews
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Nothing wrong with Gibson's tweets I don't think. McClean's are less stupid than they used to be. I think Our Wee James is growing up.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    There's been a bit of debate on this site about internationals (and potential internationals) and their twitter postings of late. Without naming any names, I cannot reconcile why in god's name some players are coming out with such daft, provocative and arguably career damaging tweets.... I would seriously question the ability of such serial tweeters to harbour the right mentality to make it as top players in the long run.
    Why not just change the thread title to:- "James McClean and Social Media - just wrong!"?
    "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Nothing wrong with it anyway, you can always unfollow them anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Nothing wrong with it anyway, you can always unfollow them anyway.
    Ah there's a lot wrong with it in my opinion (for example) when you're laughing at possible future opponents and their failings in tournaments we have not even qualified for.

You're a footballer, why not keep your head down and improve instead of mouthing about this and that.....can't understand the benefit to one's game of leaving yourself open like that online...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    McClean's commentary of the Spain game on Irishtimes.com (not twitter, I know) was quite insightful I thought. Liked this bit:

• 20:50
      COMHalftime: A monumental result on the cards here. Spain, the champions could be out in an hour's time.

You're right , James. He's looked so unsure of himself in these two games, after a dodgy season too, it has to be said.

It's curious, he must carry some serious clout in that squad because there are two other very good keepers there with them.

• 20:51

• 20:52
      COMThat first Chilean goal was special, it really was. Great awareness, very precise and very calm in front of goal. There was no margin for error.
    • 20:53

• 20:54
      James McCleanBefore he lost place at Madrid, I think he thought he was untouchable, then he's their number two, and it's hit him for 6
    • 20:56
      COMReminds me a bit of Shay in Poland. From the outside he didn't look right at all
    • 21:02
      James McCleanNaw, a dont agree with that, a think as a whole at the euros, each and everyone of us know we let ourselves down, and to say that of shay is harsh, everyone could have performed better, hence why we finished bottom with no points

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    Ah there's a lot wrong with it in my opinion (for example) when you're laughing at possible future opponents and their failings in tournaments we have not even qualified for.

You're a footballer, why not keep your head down and improve instead of mouthing about this and that.....can't understand the benefit to one's game of leaving yourself open like that online...

I don't think it makes any difference, it is your performance on the field that matters not your performance on twitter.
    A footballer has just as much right to make a fool of himself (or not) on twitter as anyone else.

I have no problem with James using twitter, at least it shows he is taking an interest in his profession.
    And at least he has mastered twitter, something I have yet to succeed in!!
    I can't get the hang of it myself I find it too hard to make sense of 'conversations'.

Anyhow I think sticking your neck on the line on twitter gives you a bit of an incentive to improve yourself
    or face a barrage of nasty tweets.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    McClean's commentary of the Spain game on Irishtimes.com (not twitter, I know) was quite insightful I thought. Liked this bit:

• 20:50
      COMHalftime: A monumental result on the cards here. Spain, the champions could be out in an hour's time.

You're right , James. He's looked so unsure of himself in these two games, after a dodgy season too, it has to be said.

It's curious, he must carry some serious clout in that squad because there are two other very good keepers there with them.
    • 20:51
    • 20:52
      COMThat first Chilean goal was special, it really was. Great awareness, very precise and very calm in front of goal. There was no margin for error.
    • 20:53
    • 20:54
      James McCleanBefore he lost place at Madrid, I think he thought he was untouchable, then he's their number two, and it's hit him for 6
    • 20:56
      COMReminds me a bit of Shay in Poland. From the outside he didn't look right at all
    • 21:02
      James McCleanNaw, a dont agree with that, a think as a whole at the euros, each and everyone of us know we let ourselves down, and to say that of shay is harsh, everyone could have performed better, hence why we finished bottom with no points

Has he found his dogs that were supposedly robbed near his home in Derry? He wasn't a happy man and even offered a reward for whoever found them! Might have been some extreme Unionist group or even the Collins family. The beauty of social media.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Has he found his dogs that were supposedly robbed near his home in Derry? He wasn't a happy man and even offered a reward for whoever found them! Might have been some extreme Unionist group or even the Collins family. The beauty of social media.
    yeah, they were returned.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Ian Wright's family held up at knifepoint while he was away. Newsworthy for me because he's a near neighbour.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    What does McDonnell mean when he says McClean's engagement with social media "bred suspicion"? Of what did it breed suspicion exactly and amongst whom? Wasn't the problem for some people that he was forthright and outspoken, more than anything, rather than having tweeted stuff that could be misinterpreted or doubted?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    What does McDonnell mean when he says McClean's engagement with social media "bred suspicion"? Of what did it breed suspicion exactly and amongst whom? Wasn't the problem for some people that he was forthright and outspoken, more than anything, rather than having tweeted stuff that could be misinterpreted or doubted?
    Which came first, the ultra right wing bigot's paranoia or the McClean tweet?