Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Euro 2028

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts

UEFA Euro 2028

FAI announce joint bid with the FA's of England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland to host Euro 2028

Links
    FA announcement: https://www.thefa.com/news/2022/feb/...-2028-20220702
    Wiki page on bids: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2028_bids
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 07/02/2022 at 9:21 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Would Brexit continue to count against the UK in this sort of thing? They burned a lot of goodwill in recent years.

I assume the five host nations* can't all qualify automatically. Would none of them? Is there precident for this?

*Nation meaning an entity with a national team. Let's not get into politics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Brexit is possibly a factor in why they've gone for Euro 2028, instead of the world cup.
    According to the wiki page on the bid - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2028_bids - there's also a bid from Romania, Greece, Bulgaria, and Serbia, who have also submitted a joint bid for World Cup 2030
    Playing devil's advocate here, but what if the decision was made to support the four countries in the 2030 bid, if they support the joint bid for 2028?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Precedent might be Euro 2020 I guess - we've already not qualified for our own Euros (along with Azerbaijan and Romania)

Romania, Greece, Bulgaria and Serbia have already announced a joint bid. Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Iceland and the Faroes are considering a bid. It's not quite the same as Euro 2020 for sure, but I guess there has to be something similar in the bidding rules.

I really don't see what we add to the bid to be honest (or indeed any of the countries other than England)

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Literally just a better story I think. It suits England to dress up what would be a competition held primarily there as an historic cooperation, to offset their various problems, be they political in nature or stuff like the embarrassing spectacle that was the 2020 Final.

Should we be bothered? Croke Park maybe, the Aviva, that'd be it. It'd be a few group games and a couple of knockouts, probably a 1/4 final at most. You'd imagine the cost wouldn't be too bad, don't have to build anything. But is it worth it, to help the English FA bluff UEFA?

Also, a 35k Ravenhill in less than 5 years (host scheduled to be announced Sep 23)? Is that realistic?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Until today I thought the expanded European Championships were going to be a pan-European event from now on. Anyway, I'm not too bothered whether we win this joint bid or not, especially when hosting the competition no longer guarantees participation and we lack the quality of player to be in any way confident that we can emerge successfully from a qualification group.

And I'm not too sure why anyone would think that the UK's withdrawal from the European Union would have any bearing on a joint bid for the World Cup.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Until today I thought the expanded European Championships were going to be a pan-European event from now on.
    No, it was always a one-off for the 60th anniversary of the tournament. Nice idea I thought, but the logistics probably could have been better worked out (Rome and Baku in particular) and that didn't seem popular when the tournament rolled out. Not sure we'll see it again.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I'm against it
    I would way prefer a joint bid with Portugal( automatic qualification) because its just 2 country's. We would both do a great job and.... without any violence i might add! UEFA love joint bids and yes we would of course need the GAA onboard.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    To clarify ..host nation(s) violence

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Don't they want to do the World Cup every two years now? Won't that kind of be the end of Euros?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Don't they want to do the World Cup every two years now? Won't that kind of be the end of Euros?
    Uefa and Conmebol won't agree to that and both coming together to play in the nations league from 2024 is basically two fingers to FIFA and their biannual WC.

Wouldn't be surprised if we get a tournament with just Uefa and Conmebol teams sometime soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Why do we have to bid with England? A Celtic Nations would make far more sense.

England/UK can do it on their own if they want. They have the stadia. We'd just be a little token couple of games.

Obviously for FAI they don't want to turn down a cash cow but i don't see the attraction. Might as well bring back the 'home nations' tournament too.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post

England/UK can do it on their own if they want. They have the stadia. We'd just be a little token couple of games.

Obviously for FAI they don't want to turn down a cash cow but i don't see the attraction. Might as well bring back the 'home nations' tournament too.
    Are there ten stadiums of the size required? Two in Cardiff, two in Dublin, two in Glasgow, one in Edinburgh, and potentially one in Belfast if Casement gets the go ahead.

There's obviously an extra one in Glasgow that could be used but not sure three stadiums in one city would get the go ahead. Unless Swansea or Aberdeen got increases of 10k seats, it wouldn't be a runner.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

17. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post

England are a Celtic nation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    To clarify ..host nation(s) violence
    Although they won't admit it in so many words, the FA was caught badly on the hop with the Euro Final, circumstances having combined to create a (predictable) fiasco, That said, there is no reason why that shouldn't have been a one-off. Certainly the FA seem pretty confident that they would be prepared for any future such-event and take precautions to prevent it.

And their reassurances seem to have persuaded UEFA, since they are continuing to throw events London's way, eg:

UEFA and CONMEBOL have today signed a renewed and extended Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) lasting until 30 June 2028, following on from the successful MoU of February 2020.

While the terms of the original agreement remain, this renewed MoU also contains specific provisions related to the opening of a shared UEFA/CONMEBOL office in London and the potential organisation of a variety of football events.

The first such event will see UEFA EURO 2020 winners Italy face CONMEBOL Copa América 2021 winners Argentina in a "Finalissima" at a stadium in London, on 1 June 2022.

The shared London office will be officially inaugurated at the beginning of 2022.

In the context of UEFA and CONMEBOL fighting back against FIFA's plans for a biennial World Cup, it is significant that they are holding the first Finalissima in London and basing their new office there.

In addition, UEFA have already announced that London will host the 2024 CL Final (St.Petersburg 2022, Istanbul 2023, Munich 2025):
    https://en.as.com/en/2021/07/16/socc...74_212654.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Are there ten stadiums of the size required? Two in Cardiff, two in Dublin, two in Glasgow, one in Edinburgh, and potentially one in Belfast if Casement gets the go ahead.

There's obviously an extra one in Glasgow that could be used but not sure three stadiums in one city would get the go ahead. Unless Swansea or Aberdeen got increases of 10k seats, it wouldn't be a runner.
    If England had thought they would get awarded the World Cup on their own, then they'd have gone for that. But after the catastrophe of their last bid, if they were to have had any chance for Europe's next turn, then their only hope was to rope in as many allies as possible - hence the joint bid.

Of course, UEFA have clearly calculated that even that wouldn't be near enough to persuade FIFA, so they look now to have done a deal with the FA, requiring them to step aside for a single 2030 WC bid from Spain and Portugal, in return for getting Euro2028. (A Spanish/Portugese bid should gain lots of votes from Central and South America, should no competing bid be forthcoming from CONMEBOL, which is very possible)

As for Euro2028, if it's 24 teams, that will require at least 10 suitable stadia, with tournament organisers always very reluctant to have any one city host two or more Groups. Therefore imo two stadia in Dublin, Cardiff or even Glasgow won't fly. My guess is that it will be one each for the FAI, SFA and FAW, with maybe another one for the IFA, should we somehow throw up a 30k stadium before then, leaving 6 or 7 for England, who will be doing the bulk of the heavy lifting over this one.

If nothing else, UEFA and the 5 Associations won't want to be handing money/rent to non-football venues like Croke, Murrayfield or the Millenium if they can possibly avoid it. And why should they?

Further, should the tournament be extended (heaven forbid) to 32 teams, them that will require another 5 or 6 stadia, and England already has those ready-made and waiting.

So should this bid succeed, I predict the other 4 Associations will be given a juicy bone in return for their votes (i.e. one host city plus a couple of knockout games), but no more.
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 07/02/2022 at 10:48 PM.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    England are a Celtic nation.
    How do you figure that then? Nothing about England has retained their distant Celtic heritage. Boudicca was a Long time ago.
    They are Anglos, Saxons, Jutes, Celts, Flemish, Norse, Danish etc etc.
    Their culture is not Gaelic or ‘Celtic’, unlike Ireland, Scotland and Wales who have all kept our Celtic languages, music and art to differing degrees.
    Last edited by Fixer82; 08/02/2022 at 8:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    This map from wiki says they're not. And yeah, the various invading tribes pushed the original Celtic inhabitants back to the edges - what we now call Scotland, Wales and Cornwall.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Although they won't admit it in so many words, the FA was caught badly on the hop with the Euro Final, circumstances having combined to create a (predictable) fiasco, That said, there is no reason why that shouldn't have been a one-off. Certainly the FA seem pretty confident that they would be prepared for any future such-event and take precautions to prevent it.

And their reassurances seem to have persuaded UEFA, since they are continuing to throw events London's way, eg:

UEFA and CONMEBOL have today signed a renewed and extended Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) lasting until 30 June 2028, following on from the successful MoU of February 2020.

While the terms of the original agreement remain, this renewed MoU also contains specific provisions related to the opening of a shared UEFA/CONMEBOL office in London and the potential organisation of a variety of football events.

The first such event will see UEFA EURO 2020 winners Italy face CONMEBOL Copa América 2021 winners Argentina in a "Finalissima" at a stadium in London, on 1 June 2022.

The shared London office will be officially inaugurated at the beginning of 2022.

In the context of UEFA and CONMEBOL fighting back against FIFA's plans for a biennial World Cup, it is significant that they are holding the first Finalissima in London and basing their new office there.

In addition, UEFA have already announced that London will host the 2024 CL Final (St.Petersburg 2022, Istanbul 2023, Munich 2025):
    https://en.as.com/en/2021/07/16/socc...74_212654.html
    The euro final disgrace wasn't the English football fans first redeo tbf.
    I'm sure its a minority that does it, but its still done and has been since i was born.
    Other countries have hooligans too, but they seem to be the worst

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    The euro final disgrace wasn't the English football fans first redeo tbf.
    I'm sure its a minority that does it, but its still done and has been since i was born.
    Other countries have hooligans too, but they seem to be the worst
    Yes. The English police weren't amply prepared for the final. The Russian police it seems were very prepared when the WC was held there ad so the trouble was kept to a minimum
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

27. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast