Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Sam Allardyce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Big Sam Allardyce

Taken from eleven-a-side.com. Think he might be grateful enough to agree to a friendly with Limerick next season? Okocha would be some draw.

Allardyce “always grateful” for Limerick role

October 31, 2004

Bolton Wanderers manager Sam Allardyce, held by many to be the best manager in the Premiership, has revealed his gratitude to eircom League club Limerick FC after the Shannonsiders kickstarted his career in management in the early 1990s.

Allardyce’s in-form Bolton side currently lie in fifth place in the Premiership, and will climb into the top four with even a point at home to Newcastle United on Sunday.

The 50-year-old, tipped in some quarters to be the next England manager, has impressed allcomers with his managerial qualities since leading the Trotters back into the top flight three years ago.

But he admits that he has Limerick – currently bottom of the eircom League First Division with just three wins in 29 games this season – to thank for bringing him back into the game at a difficult time in his career.

Asked what was the biggest gamble of his career, Allardyce told the Sunday People: “Taking the manager’s job at Limerick after I was sacked as coach by West Brom in January ‘91. Having said that, it wasn’t much of a gamble because no other bugger would give me a job at the time!

“Anyway, I took a call from a priest, Father Joe Young, who invited me over to Ireland and gave me a chance. I wondered what the bloody hell I was letting myself in for, but it worked a treat. Limerick were successful and it gave me a passport back into the English game. For that, I’ll always be grateful.”
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Legend of a man is Big Sam! Ye could badly do with him now!
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good call. Judging by what he says, I reckon he'd be up for a friendly. We could do with it too. only problem is the different leagues clash

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Could be a nice pre-season friendly for them in July / August, or if they happened to get knocked out of the FA Cup in the third round, a nice one for us at the start of next season for us in late January / February.
    Thomond Park could be the only venue, and would probably attract a crowd of 5-6000.....nice for us...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap
    Could be a nice pre-season friendly for them in July / August, or if they happened to get knocked out of the FA Cup in the third round, a nice one for us at the start of next season for us in late January / February.
    Thomond Park could be the only venue, and would probably attract a crowd of 5-6000.....nice for us...
    If Bolton were to come over, with a full squad, you'd get 10,000 easily, might even fill Thomond park if it was played premiership mid-season in Feb or March. The likes of Okocha, Campo, Diouf, Speed etc......the barstoolers would be out in their droves!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    And you could put Gallaimh and Claw in your team!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    sadly i think on a serious note jimhacker might be right it would end up being more of an exhibition match than a proper friendly as Limerick cant provide the glitz and glamour

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor
    If Bolton were to come over, with a full squad, you'd get 10,000 easily, might even fill Thomond park if it was played premiership mid-season in Feb or March. The likes of Okocha, Campo, Diouf, Speed etc......the barstoolers would be out in their droves!
    Not in a million years....6000 max I'd say. Bolton wouldn't have the same drawing power from outside Limerick like United, Arsenal or Liverpool....only those three with the in-breds from Glasgow would fill it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inexile
    sadly i think on a serious note jimhacker might be right it would end up being more of an exhibition match than a proper friendly as Limerick cant provide the glitz and glamour
    What does that mean? What has ever been glitz and glamour about Irish clubs playing English clubs in friendlies? And what is the difference between an exhibition match and a friendly? Of course it would be an exhibition match - Bolton would win any game between the sides easily - just as they would beat any eL team.

The negativity on here is astounding. Who cares if its 6,000 or 10,000 - it would be income. It would be an attractive game to get Limerick FC on the pages of the local press with a positive story.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    it would be a great occaison but you would have players coming from all over the country looking to play. which would mean that limerick players would be pushed aside

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

north bank...

inexile i think if the Blues are under new management theyll hopfully have there own players to those from..and not depend on outside help to make up the numbers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i hope your right and i would be as happy as anyone to see it
    i did hear a rumour the other day that there was talks of the new regime bring wille boland , brian o callaghan and pat purcell back but i would have reservations as these players especially the first two would demand high wages which could end up putting the club back to square one
    while the source is well informed i cant see it happening with all due respect if you were willie boland would you come back?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

north bank

the new regime must have the finances to attract these players whitch is great for the club going forword.but i agree with you i dont think thell put pen to paper for limerick for a while! pat purcell may but............i dont think so..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the question is is if they have the finances will they be able to sustain paying the big wages for no return

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

north bank

thats very negative inexile!!!!! with the right management and players they they could be pushing for promotion next season!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    dont get me wrong hammer id love to see the club going well but i have seen to many false dawns to get carried away, because at the end of the day the sad thing is that people just wont go and support them especially for as long as they are up in the pike

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    There won't be any big splashing out of money on players simply because its available.I would reckon that there will be some new players brought in, but very few 'stars' on big bucks. The objective surely will be to bring some stability to the club, give it a home and a proper footing.Getting a 21's team on the park will also be a priority. Remember, this will be a long process with no overnight immediate cure. I'd say 3 seasons before we are really able to challenge for promotion. Then really big things can start to happen.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote from JoeSoap - Getting a 21's team on the park will also be a priority

UL/AA U21's were offered as feeder mechanism earlier this season, but to date nothing has been heard from Limerick FC. The FAI were in favour of this initiative as were UL/AA committee & U21 management/coaches. Perhaps the incoming regime might "respond".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    With negativety like this, it's no wonder the club is where it is! Someone suggests that Sam might do us a favour and bring Bolton over, something which is quite plausable, yet the doom and gloom merchants are out, no chance lads..... It was only a bloody suggestion. Nobody here knows what the future really has in store for Limerick FC. It could be great, it could all fall apart. If rumours are to be believed, it'll be the former. And with that in mind, why not Limerick V Bolton in Thomond Park? Lets just see what develops, but enough with the negativity, we have enough of that already.

Personally, I seriously doubt that any potential investor doesn't know what level of investment is actually needed for Limerick FC. They should\must know that they are investing in a club that owns nothing, bar a license to play LOI football. No home, no assets, and a team that needs complete rebuilding and investment. They have to be aware that we are talking alot of money here, both in the short term and long term. Otherwise, there is just no point in investing or getting involved if the money isn't there to back it up. That's why I'm confident that this investor has to have alot of money to spend, either that or he is a mentalist!

BTW, we should be concentrating on getting the likes of Derek McCarthy, Colin Heffernan, Pat Purcell back, Denis Behan, even Bobby Ryan etc before even thinking of signing the English based lads like O'Callaghan, Boland, McGrath etc. Thats just way too much to expect, too soon.
    Last edited by 4tothefloor; 05/11/2004 at 7:22 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Good post....very sensible. Well said !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast