Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rooney resigns as FAI boss

From the Irish Times

Rooney resigns as FAI boss

03/11/2004: FAI Chief Executive Fran Rooney has become the latest boss of football’s governing body to leave the post having agreed a severance package last night. Following negotiations over the last few days the former Baltimore Technologies chief executive made the decision to leave the post and it is believed he will receive a six figure compensation package for the remaining 18 months of his three year contract.

Rooney made the decision to quit when he did not receive support at a meeting of the National Council of the FAI last Friday night.

At that meeting it was decided to set up a three man sub-committee headed by FAI vice-president David Blood to investigate the allegations made by senior management at Merrion Square against Rooney.

The complaints related to Rooney’s style of management and his alleged failure to satisfactorily fulfil his duties as chief executive.

They were outlined in a recent nine-page letter sent to FAI president Milo Corcoran, signed by Peter Buckley (the FAI's financial accountant), Pat Costello (press officer) and Tadhg O'Halloran (human resources manager).

It is expected that the FAI will make a formal announcement on the matter this morning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Terrible news.

Would that shower of pr!cks ever fcuk off and leave the likes of Rooney get on with it!
    Champions!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Agree completely with Colm. They seem intent on alienating all but the hardcore EL fans. I for one am not half as enthusiastic about Irish soccer as I was 7/8 years ago. Put simply, I don't feel that as the life blood of the game (I play competitive junior football too btw) we are not treated with enough respect. In fact we are not treated with respect at all. This can be said about most EL clubs also, and until the recent regime change I would have included city in that too. Those in charge are quite happy to maintain the status quo in their own interests rather than risk loosing control for the good of the game. Shower of self centred ****ers.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    The fact that the so called leadership of the F.A.I. are a shower of useless timeservers does not mean that Rooney was right for the job - it's beginning to become apparent that he most certainly was not the right appointment....................................whi ch leads neatly to the question: who appointed him? and will those people now do the honourable thing?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "it is believed he will receive a six figure compensation package for the remaining 18 months of his three year contract."

Yet more criminal waste of scarce resources. This money would make such a huge difference to many clubs in this country, and now its going straight out of the association, lost to soccer.
    Corcoran, Delaney et al should be f*cked off the nearest tall building......

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    This is so frustrating. I don't know if Rooney was any good. The list of achievements in a previous thread is not exactly an earth-shattering list, but that's beside the point. The point is that yet another FAI big-wig gets pushed out the door with a big compo package: Byrne -£250,000, Dooney £75,000 and now Rooney with I'd say €300,000 minimum (250,000 p.a. times 18 months left on his contract plus pension and ancilliary perks - can't see him going for less than 300k, probably more). Meanwhile, love them or hate them, Shamrock Rovers face going to the wall.
    (Mind you, it's all a drop in the ocean compared with Charlie's €450M leaving present to his horsey and doggy chums)

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    tbh It's getting harder and harder to support Irish football.... From the top down it's rotten to the core. I'm one of this Governments biggest critics, and particularly the clear GAH/Horsey set bias in funding, but in all honestly when we have w@nkers like these "controlling" football is it any wonder?

It's time for a revolution, as these cúnting blazers are dragging to/keeping us in the gutter of Irish sport.

Whether Rooney was a spoofer or not (I'm undecided), I'm sick and tired of these power struggles doing everyone connected with Irish Football down. He was castigated by both sides - management style and refusing to keep the status quo from one side, not moving fast enough by the other, when he was trying to implement the Genesis Report.

Maybe it's time for some fans direct action - not over Rooney per se, but over the whole FAI/eL?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy

Maybe it's time for some fans direct action - not over Rooney per se, but over the whole FAI/eL?
    How?
    What can we actually do?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Patsh - we can make an absolute nuisance of ourselves by people who dont want to be in the public eye - the thing about messers delaney and co - is they effectively OWN and run soccer in this country - it suits them to appoint farcical CEO's with no effective power than pay them off and sign up the next gobsh;te - the simple fact tis they always REMAIN in power - in the background

they've so many committes and sub committees they ensure that no one knows what the hell is goin on and who really is callin the shots - case in point - the eircom league board of control issued a statement castigating rooney last week - the press took thi up as meaning the eircom league clubs - as far as anyone can make out the eircom league board of control is three blazers from the league office (hyland used to be on it) who are clearly not representative of the eircom league - the only league club that publicly spoke on the matter was cork city and they backed rooney

they love anonymity

a fans campaign against these people would achiev nothing specific but it would shed a spotlight on the real chancers and make life uncomfortable for them

they dont want to be in the public eye or have their real dealings and motives discussed hence all these phoney wars with rooney

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wws
    Patsh - we can make an absolute nuisance of ourselves by people who dont want to be in the public eye
    a fans campaign against these people would achiev nothing specific but it would shed a spotlight on the real chancers and make life uncomfortable for them
    OK, but what can you actually do?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    off the top of my head a vehicle for dissent already exists:

the ireland eircom league ticket grouping

every club in the scheme has a lead contact - these people should join up - and agree a basic platform - the simpler the better

once agreed they should form under a flag of convenience - Fans For Change and hit the media organisations with a plethora of info on wots actually goin on and how the game is being criminnally neglected by those in power

everybody these days have public interest and lobby groups and fans who are so active in their clubs and who love the game here should be no different - these ppl only get away with it cos no-one - and i mean no one puts a contrary viewpoint consistently and articulately in the public eye

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    The FAI have gone beyond a joke at this stage.

The sheer incompetence and waste of money beggars belief.

It is genuinely depressing.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    tbh It's getting harder and harder to support Irish football.... From the top down it's rotten to the core. I'm one of this Governments biggest critics, and particularly the clear GAH/Horsey set bias in funding, but in all honestly when we have w@nkers like these "controlling" football is it any wonder?

It's time for a revolution, as these cúnting blazers are dragging to/keeping us in the gutter of Irish sport.

Whether Rooney was a spoofer or not (I'm undecided), I'm sick and tired of these power struggles doing everyone connected with Irish Football down. He was castigated by both sides - management style and refusing to keep the status quo from one side, not moving fast enough by the other, when he was trying to implement the Genesis Report.

Is Rooney a spoofer?

Unquestionably.

Ask the gullible Baltimore shareholders (not including jim thankfully)

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhacker
    Is Rooney a spoofer?

Unquestionably.

Ask the gullible Baltimore shareholders (not including jim thankfully)
    It's really beside the point. He was screwed for trying to actually advertise a job when the blazer's wanted a fellow blazer to be installed without competition.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The sad aspect of Rooney accepting a packet is that there will not be any investigation now into the background to this whole affair. We will not find out whether it was in fact his failings as a chief executive, or his failure to appoint Delaneys nominee to the finance portfolio, which led to his downfall.
    Let us hope that the Government/John Tracey will insist on an independant inquiry to establish the true facts of the debacle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    It's really beside the point. He was screwed for trying to actually advertise a job when the blazer's wanted a fellow blazer to be installed without competition.

Agree totally with you Macy. Everything else is a smokescreen to discredit Rooney. What you will hear next is that Genesis is a flawed document and should be kicked into touch … then a new committee will be set up (funded by government) to look at the way forward for Irish football … in the meantime it will be back to the status quo and the blazers will carry on dishing out free holidays to wherever there is an Irish team playing whether it will be u15, amateur or senior, the blazers will trod along. The Amateur team is off to Bosnia at the weekend for a week, I wonder how many blazers are going.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    Agree totally with you Macy. Everything else is a smokescreen to discredit Rooney. What you will hear next is that Genesis is a flawed document and should be kicked into touch … then a new committee will be set up (funded by government) to look at the way forward for Irish football … in the meantime it will be back to the status quo and the blazers will carry on dishing out free holidays to wherever there is an Irish team playing whether it will be u15, amateur or senior, the blazers will trod along. The Amateur team is off to Bosnia at the weekend for a week, I wonder how many blazers are going.

Actually a trip to Bosnia sounds like it might not be a bad idea for the blazers - one way of course!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You know what the funniest thing is? That I've heard Bernard O'Byrne is being lined up to take charge of the 'full implementation' of the Genesis report.

thecorner
    disgraceful.. the man was pushed out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry

You're right Macy. The actions beg the question. Why did they want their own man in.

An independent inquirey is the only way forward. If there isn't we can all fold our tent. The whole lot of them, including all those grassroots members who abstained on the "Rooney Inquirey " vote are nothing but a shower of self serving fcuks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast