Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: El Clasico de FAI cup

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts

El Clasico de FAI cup

Surprised there's no thread up already. Big game tomorrow although like we've all said the league is still number 1 priority. Predictions?
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    1-1 I reckon. They'll be right up for this one so hopefully our lads have been reminded about the goal dimensions since Monday.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    we have met on threee ioccasions in the fai cup -in 1989 and 2004 and now. on the prev two occasions we have beat them. in 1989 athlone were a top flight side and guess what we beat them! think that game was in St mels park. I think lads will be motivated after mondays fiasco so I think we will win 1-0 like in the league cup.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    You forgot 1998 Marty, you didn't win that time...
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    If Salmon starts we will win if not !!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I remember that game in 1998. On a St.Patricks day if im right. We went ahead in the second half & Athlone got a late winner with about 9 minutes left. That was a particular sickener. We had a good group down near the corner that day which set the template for the original Section O when the new stadium arrived.
    I just sit down at the typewriter & start hittin the keys, just hittin the keys. Getting them in the right order though thats the trick, thats the trick.

Garth Merenghi

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Wouldn't usually care about the cup but i'd like to see us do well tonight.

As has been said hopefully the match in Cobh will give them a kick up the arse and I can see them being well up for it this evening.

Hopefully there's a big crowd over.
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Get up them stairs Town! Lovely to put them out in Athlone too.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Great result

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    What an atmosphere, what a result and fantastic to see Sully and Salmo score. Athlone are absolutely awful both on and off the pitch.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    I wasn't at the game as I am out of Eire for a few weeks, but if Athlone are absolutely awful how come we couldn't score for over an hour, doesn't say much for De Town either, anyway who cares semi finals now, I will take an ugly win any day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    semi finals? you surely mean last 16?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    How could you think we're in the semis after one game in the competition? You're a strange one darklordsbane.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklordsbane View Post
    I wasn't at the game as I am out of Eire for a few weeks, but if Athlone are absolutely awful how come we couldn't score for over an hour, doesn't say much for De Town either, anyway who cares semi finals now, I will take an ugly win any day
    We actually played a lot better in the first half than we did in the second half despite not scoring but fair play to you for giving your opinion on a game you didn't see and calling it an ugly win.

Anyway great win, great atmosphere!Our defence didn't have too much to worry about but Mulhall was brilliant going forward.Good to see Don back to full fitness and roasting the left back all night, we should have made more use of his crosses in the first half. Good to see Hynes contribute as well, his pass put out to Mulhall before Sullys goal was brilliant.

Great to get one over on Athlone as well,i'd feel sorry for them only for the way some of their fans carried on after last season, they seem to have come crashing down to earth and their club is an absolute shambles. Having said that I hope things get better for them and whatever division we end up in next season i'd like to see them in it.
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Sorry got confused with the quater final we lost last week, I am not as au fait as you guys for getting updates all I get from extratime is game has kicked off, Philly Gorman did something, then it's half time, nil all here, back in 15 mins, 2nd half has started, Davey O Sullivan scores good goal, Mark Salmon penalty, 2 nil Longford
    more or less the same last week against Cobh and after you guys said there was loads on Shannonside I looked last night but didn't find it, I think I saw Athlones twitter page but got nothing there either except a nice picture of a longford guy with his kids
    Yes I am most likely an eejit and don't mind admitting it. I will wait to assume what the game was like, be it was a scrappy ugly win or a brilliant performance until I see it with my own eyes in July
    any links would be very much appreciated

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    I am surprised there was no atmosphere from the athlone fans.. disappointin attendance what 700-800 ppl at it. Wonder how many of that was from LTFC? Delighted with the performance,atmosphere. pity about the aggressiveness of the athlone stewards. Don Cowan was my man of the match last night he is back to his best. How we didnt go ahead early I never know but I dont care we won and thats wot matters!!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?