Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Delap

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts

Delap

Both the “Goal Glut” and “Strikers for Forthcoming Friendlies…” threads seem to have ended up at the same point: Rory Delap. So I’ve decided to address this issue as a single thread.

People have suggested Delap should play as a striker. Personally I think there’s no need to panic. Robbie, Clinton, Reid, Elliott (hopefully), Macken, Lee, Doherty, Connolly (reluctant inclusion).

In my opinion he’s worth a place in the squad on his merit as a central midfielder alone.

The fact that he is being mentioned as a striker just highlights his versatility.

His versatility is an added extra. He has played upfront once before for us (away to Turkey in the play-off) and at left-back in a B game a few years ago. Both Mick and Kerr have mysteriously played him wide right. I personally think he could be used as emergency centre-half cover, probably at the expense of Breen. He also has a great throw-in which is useful given the number of throws that Duff wins in the last third of the pitch.

When RMK was out of the picture we badly needed someone with a physical presence and the composure to do the simple things well. Delap stood out for me as a candidate but always seemed to be regarded as a right-sided player.

I’m not saying he should be in our starting XI but surely he should be an automatic squad member at least?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Seconded. I just can't understand why he's never become more of a feature in the green. Eight or nine caps at this stage is his career is an aberration. I would welcome the chance to see him again soon for Ireland, as he can only bring us more options.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Delap's exclusion from the recent squads, given his versatility, is bizarre but, then again, he's been injured a ridiculous amount of times. The injuries have rarely been serious (I think although I'm open to correction on this) but they've always been enough to keep him out. Kerr has called him up loads of times and he's only playing regularly for Southampton for the past two seasons. Before that, no one knew whether he was a striker, winger, midfielder or defender, maybe put managers off calling him up, although it seems like an asset to me. If he stays fit, he'll get called up, I'm sure of it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've never been a huge fan of Delap. What I dont like about him is that he never seems to be urgent. That makes him look somewhat lazy. However, I have become a fan of his of late. All of his managers have always spoken about what a wonderful athlete he is. Jim Smith always raved about him when he was at Derby. A few years ago, he went on a goal-scoring spree for Derby, scoring against the likes of ManUre and Chelsea. He started against Turkey in the home play-off 5 years ago and had a very poor game. But then again so did Roy Keane and the rest of the Irish midfield. I think that put Delap down the pecking order.

I find it hard to fathom Kerr's thinking at times. He chooses to include his favourites such as Graham Barrett and Alan Quinn yet ignores proven Premiership players like Delap and Dunne. While I dont believe that Delap should be in the starting 11, I believe his current form and versatility warrant a place in the squad. His physical presence and aerial ability would be a huge addition to the Irish team. We wont have Roy Keane for all games and someone like Delap could be a worthy replacement. People talk about the possibility of Kevin Nolan playing for Ireland. Delap is similar in style but much more versatile. It could be that we are overlooking a player that is right under our noses. Hypothetically, if Delap hadnt been capped yet for Ireland I think Kerr would be doing cartwheels to try and get him to play for Ireland.

With Delap as a central midfielder, I think we have more strength in depth. I would pick 5 central midfielders for the squad to play Israel in March:
    Roy Keane,
    Kevin Kilbane,
    Matt Holland,
    Rory Delap,
    Graham Kavanagh.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Definitely deserves at least a squad place on merit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    agreed. two goals against the Arse at highbury's got to bring him onto the radar or he might as well quit internationals.

*curious but apparently true -our Rory very nearly became the very first Ireland player to sign for Glasgow Rangers -who came in with a bid for him the week he left Derby for Southampton.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81
    Delap's exclusion from the recent squads, given his versatility, is bizarre but, then again, he's been injured a ridiculous amount of times. The injuries have rarely been serious (I think although I'm open to correction on this) but they've always been enough to keep him out. Kerr has called him up loads of times and he's only playing regularly for Southampton for the past two seasons. Before that, no one knew whether he was a striker, winger, midfielder or defender, maybe put managers off calling him up, although it seems like an asset to me. If he stays fit, he'll get called up, I'm sure of it.
    One of the first things that Kerr did when he became manager was to phone Rory Delap - but Delap got injured, and was injured every time an Ireland game would come up. At this point Kerr has brought in other players who have done 'well' and so has not brought in Delap ahead of those other players, this is Kerr's consistent position about squad selection and it applies to Ian Harte and Richard Dunne as well.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind