Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Cobh Ramblers 0-1 UCD

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts

Cobh Ramblers 0-1 UCD

UCD's first-ever win in St Colman's Park was a fitting way to seal an immediate return to the top flight. In doing so, they also broke their record for most points in a season - admittedly, the 64 points gained in 1994/95 was from a mere 27 games - while two more goals in our final three games will break our goalscoring record from the same season. Alan Mahon, however, has yet to score still...!

The only goal of the game came from the first attack of the game - Robbie Mac put a long ball into the edge of the area, the Cobh keeper came but was beaten to the ball by Pat Sullivan, whose header looped over the keeper and into the back of the net despite the best efforts of a covering Cobh defender.

In a break from tradition, UCD didn't sit back on their lead but instead continued to attack. Willie Doyle, back in for his first start since the 3-0 win over Athlone in September, was a constant nuisance, lofting a ball over his marker before blasting narrowly over, while a low Mick O'Donnell found Robbie Martin at the far post, but his effort hit the post. Cobh were as physical as ever, and after their number 9 fouled Pat Sullivan out on the touchline in line with the edge of the area, he subsequently wrestled Sullivan to the ground and may have considered himself fortunate to get away with only a yellow card - Cobh's third of the game. Cobh's best chance of the first half was a goalmouth scramble which was eventually cleared, while Darren Quigley saved well from in-form Dave Warren in a one-on-one situation.

Cobh came much more into the game in the second half, but it was only with the introduction of Tony Tynan that they really started to threaten. Within ten minutes of his introduction, he picked the ball up 25 yards from goal and curled a shot which smacked off the bar with Quigley beaten. Cobh got the rebound to send over a cross which Quigley palmed away with more difficulty than was really necessary and a Cobh player headed across goal when he should have done better. From the clearance, Tynan again curled against the exact same part of the bar from about five yards nearer in. UCD cleared for a corner, which was powered just inches wide.

The last ten minutes saw pretty much constant Cobh pressure, with the UCD defenders losing their composure somewhat, uncharacteristically skying clearances, but Cobh couldn't make anything more and after three minutes injury-time, the ref called time on UCD's stay in the First Division to start the celebrations.

UCD - Quigley; Mahon, McAuley, Kenna, McNally; McDonnell, Sullivan (Finn 86), Murphy, O'Donnell; Martin, Doyle (Hughes 83)

Att - 200

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I think we just about deserved the win this time. After two unlucky draws against Cobh this year, I don't really care though. It was nice to see us keep pushing forward after taking the lead, for once. Even if we didn't get a goal out of it, it was a lot easier to watch than when the opposition are all over us for the rest of the game. We were bleesed that Cobh didn't score from the attack where they hit the bar twice. Why couldn't Tynan ever have done as well for me when I bought him in CM?
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    a low Mick O'Donnell found Robbie Martin at the far post
    I didn't notice that it was the dwarf version of Micko that was playing!
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi
    I think we just about deserved the win this time.
    I don't know if I agree. I reckon we deserved two wins when we drew twice, and that Saturday was our least impressive performance of the three. Doesn't matter know of course!