Thread: Peter Hutton - Derry City Manager

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Peter Hutton - Derry City Manager

http://www.derrycityfc.net/2014/05/a...-of-directors/

Peter Hutton appointed as manager until end of the season. Marty McCann will be his assistant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    A bit of an underwhelming appointment, Hutton's record at Finn Harps was brutal.

To be fair, Hutton will be an improvement on Collins but that wouldn't be much of an achievement. All you need to do is start playing Derry's better players, remove the cringeworthy inferiority complex Collins had going and take wasters like Enda Curran and Roddy Collins jnr out of the starting eleven.

Hutton's appointment screams of trying to get supporters back onside, appointing a club legend but hopefully it works out for Derry. It really is sad to see 800 people at the Brandywell. It wasn't too long ago when I was at games in Derry where they had over 2000 people at games against Galway United and the stadium was absolutely rocking.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    I'm happy enough, he will have the dressing room onside anyway, and the fans most importantly. If he can get us playing football with effort from players, the players ability should take over and we should move up the table

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Well that appointment came as a shock to everyone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I'm happy enough, he will have the dressing room onside anyway, and the fans most importantly. If he can get us playing football with effort from players, the players ability should take over and we should move up the table
    Yer kind of saying that if Hutton can motivate the players, his dubious tactical track record will be nullified by the players own abilities on the pitch?! Dangerous tactic, pardon the pun, to be at. Take a bit of time, with Hutton as caretaker, while sussing out a new manager rather than appointing hastily til the end of the season. Olander has nailed the motive in this id say

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Yer kind of saying that if Hutton can motivate the players, his dubious tactical track record will be nullified by the players own abilities on the pitch?! Dangerous tactic, pardon the pun, to be at. Take a bit of time, with Hutton as caretaker, while sussing out a new manager rather than appointing hastily til the end of the season. Olander has nailed the motive in this id say
    My comment "If he can get us playing football" would surely fall under the tactical bracket. You would need some form of tactical ability to get players playing football, hence IF he can get us playing football the players ability will move us up the table

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts
    Any Derry fans who haven't seen Hutton's Finn Harps team are in for an unpleasant surprise. Awful style of football. Think this is an awful appointment by Derry, they obviously feel all hopes of achieving anything this season are gone so have gone for the local option.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    After hearing Roddy was gone:
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Why did they get rid of Devine again?

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Rotten run of form after the European game, resulted in us sliding down the table. People forget although we are in Europe, its because Sligo won the cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Any Derry fans who haven't seen Hutton's Finn Harps team are in for an unpleasant surprise. Awful style of football. Think this is an awful appointment by Derry, they obviously feel all hopes of achieving anything this season are gone so have gone for the local option.
    Managers can improve yeno, and also he will have learnt from his mistakes at Harps. Also he has a better quality of player to work with at Derry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Good choice, best of luck to the man and that fine club.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    My comment "If he can get us playing football" would surely fall under the tactical bracket. You would need some form of tactical ability to get players playing football, hence IF he can get us playing football the players ability will move us up the table
    Yeah but you also said the players ability should take over and move yiz up the table. Anyhow best of luck to Pizza and Derry City, its always enjoyable to see the colour and atmosphere Derry fans bring to a game and it was being killed off hopefully that will turn around with the popular choice.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Why did they get rid of Devine again?
    A Derry fan would answer it better than me but I got the impression a lot of people thought the players did well in spite of Devine rather than because of him and he could do nothing to arrest their annual late-season tumbles. It's a shame for Derry that Kenny got sacked in his first season at Rovers rather than the second. I reckon he'd have gone back for round three if the job was available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    A Derry fan would answer it better than me but I got the impression a lot of people thought the players did well in spite of Devine rather than because of him and he could do nothing to arrest their annual late-season tumbles. It's a shame for Derry that Kenny got sacked in his first season at Rovers rather than the second. I reckon he'd have gone back for round three if the job was available.
    Oi! Maybe a blank canvass, at a club where there was no expectation and a chance to rebuild some self belief was best option - the timing was perfect

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Oi! Maybe a blank canvass, at a club where there was no expectation and a chance to rebuild some self belief was best option - the timing was perfect
    There's plenty of expectation now

I mean I'd say if Kenny was looking for a job and Derry wanted him back, he'd feel like he owes them for allowing him to go to Rovers, plus he must feel like he has unfinished business having brought through a lot of the current players. He certainly seems to have bought into Dundalk anyway, and living a lot closer to home is presumably another bonus for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    If he was out of work and the Derry job was available it would have been a no brainer. I think he was daunted initially by the sheer amount of work needed to be done at Oriel on all levels, but he quickly bought in as you say to the vision of the fastfix lads and the transformation was almost instant. By all accounts he was even more down than the supporters Saturday evening - he really did care about the loss. If Derry was built on sand, Dundalk was plastic and I dont think anyone else could have done what Kenny has done - maybe Fenlon but I jsut wouldnt be sure there. If there was a time to risk a return to the Brandywell for Fenlon now might have suited to seasons end. Im sure Derry fans will scoff at this but he was the strongest available candidate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    To be fair, I'd be confused too if a bunch of lads calling themselves Fastfix tried to sell me a long-term vision so you can see why he'd be a bit daunted at first.

If Derry was built on sand, Dundalk was plastic
    Ah you're just fishing for jokes now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    lol i liked the fastfix with instant transformation of loads of work oxymoron effort .... ok poor effort

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Rotten run of form after the European game, resulted in us sliding down the table. People forget although we are in Europe, its because Sligo won the cup
    Slide down the table? Finished 4th. Don't remember ye ever being top for any length of time.

Anyways was just wondering. Seems strange decision after the way the Roddy fiasco has unfolded (again)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast