Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Referee's performance raises questions

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Referee's performance raises questions

I believe that Cork City were robbed last night at Tolka Park. If clubs like Cork City invest in excellence the way that they have, it is a savage blow to see their league title chances hit so badly by the performance by the ref, who appeared to favour Shelbourne incorrectly in a string of decisions. What I saw last night sickened me. Shelbourne were worth their point on the balance of play, IMO. But that was after City started much the stronger and played in the Shels half for almost all of the opening ten minutes. Then the abuse of the ref by Shelbourne players started. From about 20 minutes into the game, the Cork players seemed rattled by a series of crucial decisions that should have gone their way. I have NEVER seen Cork City captain Dan Murray so angry with a ref, or with anybody for that matter. It appeared that none of the 50-50 decisions were going to go the way of City. As things happened, some pretty obvious 60-40 decisions went against them. I did not have a clear view of the penalty claim, but I saw plenty of stuff in the middle of the park that suggests this pattern. A letter is on its way to the club management of CCFC with suggestions for the next referees policy discussion within the FAI. The gist of it is that if the FAI wants to develop standards in the EL, they have to appoint non-Dublin refs when one team is from outside the Pale. The same should apply across the board: no ref should be involved in a game where his or her home town team is involved. If there are not enough refs of the standard (holding back a laugh here), then the FAI should look at innovative ways of overcoming the problem, like swapping Dublin refs with refs from across the pond. If that does not work, then I see justification in hiring refs from abroad. Meanwhile, the FAI should invest serious thinking and resources in developing the standard of home-grown referees over the next ten years.
    Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jnr.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    You should get a 20 point head start next season....

Its only fair as you have to put up with the Dublin bias and the refs against you and the clocks going back and the grass being too green and bla bla bla bla........

2-0.... 2-2..... 1-0..... 0-0.

get over it would ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    unfortunately the sad reality of this league is that refereeing standrads are terrible. we have to expect it and play above it. shels have more influence on referees than we do for some reason, they are more adept at putting pressure on referees to give them decisions. we just have to get on with it and win anyway. what concerned me more about our performance last night is that we didn't create many chances- we played some great ball, but very few chances.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins
    You should get a 20 point head start next season....

Its only fair as you have to put up with the Dublin bias and the refs against you and the clocks going back and the grass being too green and bla bla bla bla........

2-0.... 2-2..... 1-0..... 0-0.

get over it would ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Constructive addition to the debate is always welcome higgins.

If memory serves me right, the 2-2 could have been 2-1 to City only for a Shels penalty.

What annoys us most is the feeling that if the tackle on John O'Flynn had been at the other end of the pitch it would have been a guaranteed penalty.
    I think a plan is just a list of things that don't happen - Mr Parker

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    thats football though. home teams get decisions that away teams don't.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    City hero

you managed to get in a could have won 2-1 and an IF into a short post!!

thats exactly what my post was about....
    A lot of your fans on here are full of ifs and but and could have been's...

Not what football is about.
    We could have been 15 points clear if we scored against derry and we didnt let it the bohs goal or we got that peno form bla bla bla again!!
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie