Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Cannon F Leicester b.2002

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Parrott isn’t a 20-goal a season type of striker but admittedly his goals per minute played for PNE is dismal. PNE’s style of play doesn’t suit, but still. That said he has 4 goals in 18 senior appearances which historically is more than a good return for an Irish senior striker.

I like Idah. Like Parrott needs to score more, but he’s good for the team. Probably should have had a couple of goals for us – recall he had a tap-in if McClean squared the ball to him away to Azerbaijan? for example.

Cannon goals for statistics are impressive, but yeah not sure how committed he is to us. We’ll see.

Keane has had his opportunity and isn’t good enough for senior football – obvious to a blind man.

Wouldn’t totally rule out Kelly, but he is playing as an impact sub at 26 years of age and doesn’t have many playing minutes with Rotherham since making the move. Needs to play more at club level before being a consideration. Not there yet and at his age, time is running out.
    Yet another club/manager/system not good enough for Troy Parrott. But somehow Tom Cannon delivers. Two young Premiership players on loan at Championship clubs - one performing to his status, the other not. And as for Keane having had his opportunity - the equivalent minutes of less than two games? That's just denying him a fair go.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 20/04/2023 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    PNE have a defensive set-up, but as stated his goals scored per minute played is dismal. And Ferguson’s emergence pushes Parrott down the pecking order. That said, Parrott seems to be playing well (see ratings below for last 5 games), and apparently a contributory reason for Cannon’s good goalscoring form. Seems to work best as a foil to a 9, as we have seen in his partnership with Obafemi.

Troy Parrott - 7

Some nice touches off the bench and took his goal exceptionally well.
    https://www.lancs.live/sport/footbal...tings-26736269

Troy Parrott - 5

Some decent touches on occasion but the end product just wasn’t there for the Tottenham loanee. Got more and more frustrated before being brought off as part of the second half quadruple change.
    https://www.lancs.live/sport/footbal...tings-26693945

Troy Parrott - 7

Busy all game up there, even if the final shot or pass tended to elude him. Was willing to run at Reading's defenders and never really gave them a minute's peace.
    https://www.lancs.live/sport/footbal...tings-26665983

Troy Parrott - 6

Ran himself into the ground, always on the move across the front line. Carried the fight to QPR's defenders and tracked back brilliantly towards the end, to stop a QPR break from resulting in a goal. Saw two good chances go begging first half.
    https://www.lancs.live/sport/footbal...tings-26654738

Troy Parrott - 7

A couple of loose moments but a committed shift from the Irishman and had a few openings in the final third. Wanted the ball and always tried to present an option to his team mates. Lacked that final piece of decision making.
    As for Keane, the equivalent of two games is a lot of time in international football. If we played B internationals, he could be given more time to bed into the standard of international football. As is, he has shown nothing to warrant a second look in those minutes played – and at 30 years of age, and arguable at or beyond his playing peak – why persevere with an ageing player clearly off the pace of senior international football? There’re better options.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    PNE have a defensive set-up, but as stated his goals scored per minute played is dismal. And Ferguson’s emergence pushes Parrott down the pecking order. That said, Parrott seems to be playing well (see ratings below for last 5 games), and apparently a contributory reason for Cannon’s good goalscoring form. Seems to work best as a foil to a 9, as we have seen in his partnership with Obafemi.

As for Keane, the equivalent of two games is a lot of time in international football. If we played B internationals, he could be given more time to bed into the standard of international football. As is, he has shown nothing to warrant a second look in those minutes played – and at 30 years of age, and arguable at or beyond his playing peak – why persevere with an ageing player clearly off the pace of senior international football? There’re better options.
    I believe no one is too young or too old if good enough. You may be ultimately right about Keane in green - but he's done what's asked of him at club level in recent years and should be judged accordingly. Saying 160 minutes is enough is nonsense. Obviously Ferguson's rise changes things, but persevering with young players simply because they're young is also nonsense.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    I believe no one is too young or too old if good enough. You may be ultimately right about Keane in green - but he's done what's asked of him at club level in recent years and should be judged accordingly. Saying 160 minutes is enough is nonsense. Obviously Ferguson's rise changes things, but persevering with young players simply because they're young is also nonsense.
    This is spot on for me.

Except Keane has played 77 minutes for Ireland, not 160. I know that wasn't your stat originally; the reduction only backs up your point even more. Kevin Kilbane would never have gotten a second cap based on his first 77 minutes...

Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    We were/are in a position where we rely on young players coming through who probably haven't developed as quickly as we needed considering how poor the options were previously. Both Idah and Parrott still only 21/22. Most international teams wouldn't be so reliant on players that age, let alone an 18 savior that we have now.... but that's not on the players, that's on us, and yet they have done quite well for us to this point. 4 goals for Parrott at 21 years is excellent. Idah has shown in big games that he could be a very important player for us going forward.

Obafemi and Connolly in same boat, both still young and have plenty to offer hopefully.
    I think it's worth noting that half of Parrott's goals have been against Andorran part-timers, and Idah has had one good game (away v Portugal) and that's about it really. Hasn't come close to a goal in 14 caps. These guys aren't indispensable.

I completely agree with the gist of your post - in particular, that it's not the fault of the players - and I think ultimately what you've said ties in with my comment that we are where we are because we've been relying on Idah/Parrott/etc.

But if that's the case, then we can't discard Kelly and Keane just because they're a few years older. I'd rather the best team out on the pitch rather than the youngest.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 20/04/2023 at 2:11 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    749 Posts
    I think this discussion needs to be taken in the context that, like it or not, all these lads are battling to be the support act for Evan Ferguson. He's both younger and better than all of them.

Chiedozie Ogbene is the man in possession of that jersey at the moment. It sounded like, based on his comments after the France game, that he's fully aware of what the battle is here - basically seven or eight players competing for one spot whenever Ferguson is fit.

Cannon looks to be his nearest challenger at the moment - assuming he's happy to commit long term he should make his debut in June. A fully fit and functioning Obafemi is a live contender as well, but he hasn't had a great season in that respect. Parrott remains part of the discussion, but has fallen down the order. But his likely future role as a support striker at club level rather than an out and out 9 may actually help him at international level.

Idah may have to settle for a backup role longer term because I'm not sure I see us going for two big lads up front. He is probably worst affected by the emergence of Ferguson. Callum Robinson remains a contender as well, again he's not an out and out centre forward, but he does play the supporting role well.

Keane and Hogan are both 30+ centre forwards with 1 goal in 15 or thereabouts records in the Championship. Neither are guaranteed starters for their clubs at this point in time, despite both of their clubs being down near the bottom of the table. I think Hogan is possibly already finished at international level and Keane will probably drift out of contention also, unless he gets a good move this summer and can do something special next season.

Kelly might win a friendly cap or two but that's about it. If Sinclair Armstrong could find the goalscoring ability to match his general play he could come into it. Cannon's likely promotion to the seniors opens a possible opportunity for him at Under 21 level.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 20/04/2023 at 2:29 PM.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

I think it's worth noting that half of Parrott's goals have been against Andorran part-timers, and Idah has had one good game (away v Portugal) and that's about it really. Hasn't come close to a goal in 14 caps. These guys aren't indispensable.

I completely agree with the gist of your post - in particular, that it's not the fault of the players - and I think ultimately what you've said ties in with my comment that we are where we are because we've been relying on Idah/Parrott/etc.

But if that's the case, then we can't discard Kelly and Keane just because they're a few years older. I'd rather the best team out on the pitch rather than the youngest.
    I dont care who Parrotts goals came against, that was the crap that was thrown at Robbie Keane for years, that he only scored against the weaker teams ( it was nonsense but it was a narrative). When Robbie retired we realized how difficult it was to score against anyone.

Idahs best game was Portugal away for sure, but he was also very good off the bench in last game against France. To me that shows enough that there is a good player in him and as I said hopefully his goal yesterday sparks a run of form where he adds goals to his game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I am having a hard time getting behind that fact that Keane should be considered a starter or close to a starter. As Eirambler points out (leaving aside Ferguson for a moment), I think Ogbene, Obafemi, Robinson and then Idah (injury) and Parrott (consistency) have carried the can for most of the last year and a half, when Keane made himself available. I agree with Eiramblers assessment of Keane and Hogan, and all of his post in general terms. Hogan has never really impressed for us and he has been given chances under 2 managers. Keane hasnt been given much time, granted, but is the case for him to start stronger than the case for any of that group, I dont think so. If it is marginal in terms of ability/performance, then I will go with youth 9 times out of 10. I like him and had hoped he would do well but I am not too bothered that that list - and now Ferguson - are mostly ahead of him in the pecking order.

If Cannon is ours and maintains his performance over the next couple of months and into next season, he jumps ahead of quite a few on the list. I would love to see him get a call up in the very short term - and I think he removes Keane and/or Hogan completely from the picture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Keane and Hogan are both 30+ centre forwards with 1 goal in 15 or thereabouts records in the Championship.
    I agree with most of your post, but I don't think this is fair. They're both guys who have scored once in their last 15 or so. That's quite different from saying they're 1-in-15 Championship strikers. Hogan's record is 62 in 212 games, or about 1 in 3.5. Keane's record is 19 in 86, or 1 in 4.5 - including a very injury-hit time which he's only coming out of in the last couple of years.

By contrast, Parrott (3 in 40, or 1 in 13.3) and Idah (5 in 39, or in in 7.8) have overall records closer to the 1 in 15 you suggest. That's not to take away from the order you've suggested, and the age gap is relevant for sure, but I think it's worth clarifying.

I think when you look at the last couple of years you can see Connolly dropping off the radar entirely, Cannon coming out of nowhere, Parrott failing to live up to expectations (though obviously far from being written off), even Obafemi's rise and fall in such a short timeframe, and I think the main conclusion is that we have to be flexible to an extent in our forward options. We can't so rigid as to say, for example, that Player A is a million miles behind Player B, when he's outscoring him in the same division. You can have a pecking order and I'm not saying Keane should be ahead of Parrott at this stage, but equally I don't think we can afford to dismiss Championship level guys.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 20/04/2023 at 3:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    kelly isnt up against parrott anyway hes up against ferguson mainly. obafemi can do 9 + 10 , kelly is a lump the ball to him job as he is very limited techincally and doesnt have a good turn of pace, something parrot struggles with aswell to a lesser extent. cannon atm looks a good bit ahead of kelly with the advantage of being a lot younger. reading the comments from taylor reiterates what i think of kelly. hes coming from a low level , hes currently a bit off being a starter for a relegation contender in the championship. we'd need to be in dire straits to call him up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Im still shocked that Kelly got a move out of LOI never mind being talked about as a potential international to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Are you shocked he's scored as many league goals as Idah and Parrott combined too? And from fewer minutes with a weaker side.

I'm not saying he should be in the squad, to be clear. I am saying he's not a million miles off what we have at the moment. Kelly's a decent poacher too, and I'm not sure who else is in the squad (bar maybe Ferguson, who seems to have quite a lot going for him)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 20/04/2023 at 4:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Im still shocked that Kelly got a move out of LOI never mind being talked about as a potential international to be honest.

keith long + crolly deserve a lot of credit. good few lads have got decent moves on the back of being at bohs under them. andre wright was the funniest one. bohs the only team to make him look like a semi decent player

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    749 Posts
    I agree with most of your post, but I don't think this is fair. They're both guys who have scored once in their last 15 or so. That's quite different from saying they're 1-in-15 Championship strikers. Hogan's record is 62 in 212 games, or about 1 in 3.5. Keane's record is 19 in 86, or 1 in 4.5 - including a very injury-hit time which he's only coming out of in the last couple of years.

By contrast, Parrott (3 in 40, or 1 in 13.3) and Idah (5 in 39, or in in 7.8) have overall records closer to the 1 in 15 you suggest. That's not to take away from the order you've suggested, and the age gap is relevant for sure, but I think it's worth clarifying.

I think when you look at the last couple of years you can see Connolly dropping off the radar entirely, Cannon coming out of nowhere, Parrott failing to live up to expectations (though obviously far from being written off), even Obafemi's rise and fall in such a short timeframe, and I think the main conclusion is that we have to be flexible to an extent in our forward options. We can't so rigid as to say, for example, that Player A is a million miles behind Player B, when he's outscoring him in the same division. You can have a pecking order and I'm not saying Keane should be ahead of Parrott at this stage, but equally I don't think we can afford to dismiss Championship level guys.
    That's fair. I should have clarified that the Keane/Hogan record is based on current form, not longer term form. However, once you're 30+ current form is important, because you're unlikely to get much better, so if you're capable of 1 goal in 15 runs at that point, that probably confirms that you're not the solution.

I also realise now that I left out Connolly completely. Terrible timing with the injury. He badly needs a big season next year.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Are you shocked he's scored as many league goals as Idah and Parrott combined too?
    If you genuinely think hes as good a player as Idah or Parrott your entitled to your opinion and Im not gonna waste my time arguing against what I believe is just firmly wrong. Kelly is making a career for himself, and Im always happy to see LOI players do well.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    However, once you're 30+ current form is important, because you're unlikely to get much better
    Yep, that's fair. It's a real pity both were injured for the November games when they were in good form. It increasingly feels that may have been their last chance to stake a reasonable claim as a real option for us.

If you genuinely think hes as good a player as Idah or Parrott your entitled to your opinion and Im not gonna waste my time arguing against what I believe is just firmly wrong. Kelly is making a career for himself, and Im always happy to see LOI players do well.
    If you'd read what I posted it would be fairly clear that I think Kelly is not "a million miles" off their level, as was claimed.

Bearing in mind Idah and Parrott have done relatively little of note in the 2/3 years they've been around the national team despite all the hype about them, I don't think that's an unreasonable view

We're not so blessed with options up front that we can afford to be snobbish about a guy matching their tallies combined at the same level. And I noted that there may well be a reason why he's not getting more minutes despite his good stats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Parrott, Delap and Cannon all started for Preston today. It looks like Parrott is playing in a more withdrawn role in midfield with Delap and Cannon at the top. Delap missed a glorious chance, through 1 on 1 after cutting in front of the last defender well and rolled it past the keeper and just wide.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Does anybody have a link or the full wording of the press conference ?
    What was said about Cannon particularly, someone elsewhere said Crawford mentioned he was injured but officially remains on standby for the seniors also (?). His Insta has him at a big concert a few days ago with his girl so the sore throat can't be so bad.
    Neck injury. He's had his head turned. (all joking aside, i reckon he's gone)

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Neck injury. He's had his head turned. (all joking aside, i reckon he's gone)
    If he has switched back then best of luck to him. He hasn't done anything wrong to us. Because of covid he was involved very little underage for us so may not have fully settled in. If his career had gone differently and he had been released by Everton last summer there would have been I'd say less than 10 posts on here about him and we wouldn't have cared how things worked out for him once we thought he was never going to be good enough for senior international football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    If he has switched back then best of luck to him. He hasn't done anything wrong to us.
    Agree. Just putting out there what I think is likely going on as the various comments don't seem to really add up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Mipo was released from West Ham today so it goes to show that getting carried away by young lads allegiances is a bit stupid sometimes.

I wouldnt say Cannon is definitely gone, but I think there might be a bit of annoyance he wasnt called up to senior squad so basically didnt want to turn up for meaningless u21 camp in middle of his holidays. I do think it could have been handled better, Kenny should have called him up to seniors to at least train. Irrelevant if he played or not, we often see lads not playing when called into squad for 1st time and the excuse was ready made that he wasnt match fit ( even if none of the players are at this stage). But at least you have him involved in the set up. All this nonsense seems like it was completely avoidable.... unless the lad himself is hedging and thinking a good start to season for Everton could see England come calling, and if thats the case let him off.

Other than that I love the look of the U21 squad. I think Abankwah may pull out as it looked like he got injured on sunday, but the likes of Vaughan and Vata being involved for 1st time is very exciting.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast