Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 241

Thread: Under-21 Squad

  1. #61
    Capped Player DannyInvincible's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    11,524
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,404
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,738
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    To be fair to you TOWK, I for one, have noticed the moderation you are attempting to place in your posts and I welcome it!
    It's all a contrived facade, gastric!

    If you can't hack critical debate and discussion, TOWK, maybe a discussion forum isn't the place for you... Please stop with the pseudo-apologies, the pretend resignations and the playing the victim. I have little time for it and it'll only arouse disdain rather than sympathy. You express contentious opinions and I attempt to hold them to scrutiny. That's the nature of debate. I appreciate your moderation, but the fact you've tweaked above what you were saying about Jack's ambiguous tweet - latterly leaving out any mention of it relating to his general commitment - is an admission that you initially went beyond, in your interpretation, what the facts should have allowed you to, no?

  2. Thanks From:


  3. #62
    Banned TheOneWhoKnocks's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ted Bundy of the Wesht
    Posts
    5,246
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    470
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    699
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    @ Bonnie Shels

    He declined a call up to the U-21 team twice. Martin O'Neill wanted him in the squad for the Oman game but Grealish preferred to concentrate on his club career. Whether he was named formally or informally is beside the point and it's extremely petty to pretend otherwise. MON said he's tired of pursuing him and has left the ball in his court. He's more than welcome to play for Ireland, or open lines of communication with MON, if he wants to. Same thing with Stephen Ireland after he suggested that he would be interested in playing Intl. football again, for all intents and purposes. Make the first approach.

    @ Danny

    It's me who can't hack critical debate and discussion?! At least I don't insult you or your posts. I disagree with them and explain why. I'm not the one alternatingly accusing someone of "WUMMING", "playing the victim", "stupidity" and "lying" etc etc.. that I have become accustomed to as you get more & more indignant with me.

    I try to moderate myself not because I think I needed to but to try and ensure that I receive the same politeness I display to i.e. you but instead I am treated with condescension for my efforts; all because I don't subscribe to the orthodoxy.

    Here we go again with ambiguity. Your favorite word. How was I misrepresenting Jack Grealish? John Fallon reported that Grealish was committing to Ireland. This proved erroneous. Grealish reacted with confusion to aforementioned reports.

    I'm not going to even read your response on the Anthony Stokes thread either BTW. We were told to "keep it to the inboxes". You can have the final word but, really, I'm comfortable in my own opinions and don't feel a need to crusade for validation and self-aggrandisement.

    And if you can't see how you were a tad bit out of line in some of your recent responses directly/indirectly to me on a couple threads then wow. I would be hung out to dry if I behaved the same way.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 07/11/2014 at 2:27 AM.

  4. #63
    Capped Player DannyInvincible's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    11,524
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,404
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,738
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    It's me who can't hack critical debate and discussion?! At least I don't insult you or your posts. I disagree with them and explain why. I'm not the one alternatingly accusing someone of "WUMMING", "playing the victim", "stupidity" and "lying" etc etc.. that I have become accustomed to as you get more & more indignant with me.
    I don't think I accused you of stupidity. At least, I don't think you're stupid anyway. Hell, you couldn't be stupid given the grand levels of sophistry in which you engage at times!

    I try to moderate myself not because I think I needed to but to try and ensure that I receive the same politeness I display to i.e. you but instead I am treated with condescension for my efforts; all because I don't subscribe to the orthodoxy.
    See, you're doing it even there. I don't criticise your posts because you don't subscribe to the orthodoxy. I'm all for unorthodox thinking. It's repetitive disingenuousness and deception for which I have little time. To use an example, GR is a unionist NI fan. Himself and myself are on polar opposites of the political spectrum in terms of the ages-old Irish question - we subscribe to different orthodoxies, if you will - but I enjoy a good argument with him on related matters because he doesn't take himself too seriously and, most importantly, because he's honest in debate. On the other hand, there was once a poster round these parts called Ealing Green - he was also a unionist NI fan - but debating with him was just downright frustrating because he was so utterly disingenuous in his arguments. Don't moderate yourself to impress me. Moderate yourself if you think it will ensure a more reasonable argument and debate.

    Here we go again with ambiguity. Your favorite word. How was I misrepresenting Jack Grealish? John Fallon reported that Grealish was committing to Ireland. This proved erroneous. Grealish reacted with confusion to aforementioned reports.
    Do you honestly think I can't spot what you're doing there; shifting the goalposts from your original assertion? You're still acting like a snake but simultaneously crying out for my respect? You're on a wind-up. You originally stated that Jack "contradicted media reports that he was committing to Ireland" through his tweet. We both know that's not quite the truth. Jack seemingly responded with confusion to the claim that he was going to be selected in the US squad; we have no idea if he was contradicting any claim that he was committing generally to Ireland. There's no reason to assume that his tweet amounted to such a denial or contradiction as it was pretty vague in terms of what he was referring to. The only reason I keep mentioning ambiguity is because the situation is indeed ambiguous, funnily enough. Even Paul admits he doesn't know!

    I'm not going to even read your response on the Anthony Stokes thread either BTW. We were told to "keep it to the inboxes". You can have the final word but, really, I'm comfortable in my own opinions and don't feel a need to crusade for validation and self-aggrandisement.

    And if you can't see how you were a tad bit out of line in some of your recent responses directly/indirectly to me on a couple threads then wow. I would be hung out to dry if I behaved the same way.
    I assumed tets wanted the more political-oriented discussion out of the football section, so I moved it off-topic. Why do you think you'd be hung out to dry? More victimhood! I'd rather you engaged than surrender the final word to me or whatever. I don't tally victories and couldn't care for that.

    If tets thinks I'm out of order, all he has to do is say and I'll wind my neck in. What you do is just bad manners and it irritates me. If it shows, I'm sorry, it's hard to help!

  5. #64
    Coach BonnieShels's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Holm Span, Blackpool
    Posts
    12,026
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,397
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,634
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    TOWK, I would love to engage with that response. But it's fantastical to suggest that MON is "tired" at this stage. Never mind the rest of the paragraph. Maybe after more coffee I might.

    There's no point to this engagement anymore; it's like talking to a three year old. Or a wall.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

  6. #65
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    20,900
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,053
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,542
    Thanked in
    2,980 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    If tets thinks I'm out of order, all he has to do is say and I'll wind my neck in. What you do is just bad manners and it irritates me. If it shows, I'm sorry, it's hard to help.
    Neither of you are out or order, I've no interest in reading you two debate the minutiae of whatever is going on any more. Take it off the forum if you want to continue
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  7. #66
    First Team
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Torquay, Australia
    Posts
    2,302
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    635
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    503
    Thanked in
    353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    This match report from an u21 game between Newcastle and Brighton describe him as a triallist: www.nufc.com/2014-15html/2014-10-20brighton-h-res.html
    Without wanting to spark controversy, the FAI website describes Sadlier as on loan. The mystery deepens!

    http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/irela...a-russia-games

  8. #67
    Closed Account
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,443
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    266
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,197
    Thanked in
    673 Posts
    Russia U21 0-1 Ireland U21 (12mins) Glen Rea

    Couldn't find a lineup anywhere.

    Rogers, Connors, Hoban, Lenihan, Griffin, Desmond, McEvoy, Connolly, Rea, Browne, Hamilton
    Last edited by Closed Account; 17/11/2014 at 5:44 PM.

  9. Thanks From:


  10. #68
    Closed Account
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,443
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    266
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,197
    Thanked in
    673 Posts
    Dylan Connolly has scored a second

    Russia have scored 2 now to equalise
    Last edited by Closed Account; 17/11/2014 at 6:47 PM.

  11. #69
    First Team Yard of Pace's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,033
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    177
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    331
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Dylan Connolly has scored a second
    He was wonderful for the u-19s against Serbia.......A cracker of a young lad.

  12. #70
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,577
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,890
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,310
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    2-2 now, Russia have scored twice since going down to 10 men. A lot of subs though.

  13. #71
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,795
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    824
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,496
    Thanked in
    1,027 Posts
    Cream of the crop supposedly picked for a home-based squad to play the Irish amateurs.

    http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/king-...-training-game

    Conor O Donnell (Limerick)
    Stephen McGuinness (Bray Wanderers)
    Colm Horgan (Galway United)
    John Kavanagh (Cork City)
    Robert Lehane (Cork City)
    Darren Murphy (Cork City)
    Sean Hoare (St Patrick's Athletic)
    Lee Desmond (St Patrick's Athletic)
    Ruairi Keating (Sligo Rovers)
    Jake Dykes (Sligo Rovers)
    Gary Armstrong (Sligo Rovers)
    Dylan McGlade (Shelbourne)
    Ryan Robinson (Shelbourne)
    Mark Timlin (Derry City)
    Ayman Ben Mohamed (Longford Town)
    Luke Gallagher (Bray Wanderers)
    Rob Cornwall (Shamrock Rovers)
    Brandon Miele (Shamrock Rovers)
    Mikey Drennan (Shamrock Rovers)

    Interesting to note the amount of players in there who have been across the water and come home- McGlade, Gallagher, Miele, Drennan, Timlin (was at Ipswich briefly)- and some that have garnered under 21 call-ups for full squads- Desmond, Hoare. Probably missing some on each of those lists.

  14. #72
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,577
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,890
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,310
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Apart from no Alex Byrne or Sean Heaney, it's probably about right.

  15. #73
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    12,436
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,010
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,715
    Thanked in
    2,185 Posts
    Jake Dykes is a very poor footballer. He's only still at Sligo Rovers because of his father. A fair few players don't get a look in at their clubs there.

  16. #74
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,066
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6,935
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,480
    Thanked in
    2,535 Posts
    Is Ayman a real name or a makey uppy North African Irish hybrid of Eamon(n)?
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 13/02/2015 at 9:56 AM.

  17. #75
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,066
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6,935
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,480
    Thanked in
    2,535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Apart from no Alex Byrne or Sean Heaney, it's probably about right.
    yeah, if you'd have asked me for our best 20 U21s I'd have probably given you 18 of them

  18. #76
    Capped Player DannyInvincible's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    11,524
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,404
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,738
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Is Ayman a real name or a makey uppy North African Irish hybrid of Eamo(n)?
    It's a traditional Arabic name. In fact - I couldn't resist - Ayman Maher might even be a more popular name in the Arab world than it is in Ireland!

  19. Thanks From:


  20. #77
    Capped Player DeLorean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    10,881
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,416
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,272
    Thanked in
    2,077 Posts
    An interesting addition to the U21 setup

    The squad:

    REPUBLIC OF IRELAND U21:
    Daniel Rogers (Aberdeen FC)
    Ian Lawlor (Manchester City FC)
    Jack Connors (Dagenham & Redbridge FC)
    Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers FC)
    Sean Kavanagh (Fulham FC)
    Thomas Hoban (Watford FC)
    Glen Rea (Brighton & Hove Albion FC)
    Kenneth McEvoy (Tottenham Hotspur FC)
    Alan Browne (Preston North End FC)
    Shamir Goodwin (Brighton & Hove Albion FC)
    Matthew Hamilton (Wigan Athletic FC)
    Callum O’Dowda (Oxford United FC)
    Sean Long (Reading FC)
    Pierce Sweeney (Reading FC)
    Dylan Connolly (Ipswich Town FC)
    Conor Wilkinson (Bolton Wanderers FC)
    Lee Desmond (St Patrick’s Athletic FC)
    Jack Byrne (Manchester City FC)


    FIXTURE
    Thursday, March 26
    UEFA U21 Championships 2017 Qualifying Round Group One
    Republic of Ireland v Andorra, RSC, Waterford (7.45pm).

  21. #78
    Capped Player DannyInvincible's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    11,524
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,404
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,738
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Conor Wilkinson committed to Ireland ahead of under-21 tie with Andorra': http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...orra-1.2153349

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Times
    It should be music to the ears of Kevin Kilbane to hear English-born Conor Wilkinson declare his undivided commitment to the Republic of Ireland ahead of Thursday’s opening European Championship qualifier against Andorra at the Waterford RSC (7.45pm).

    Opt-out stance

    At a time when the virtues of international football are being debated, crystalised by the current opt-out stance taken by Jack Grealish, the views of the Bolton Wanderers striker who is at present on loan with Oldham Athletic may be considered a breath of fresh air to the purists.

    Wilkinson’s name aroused the interest of the English FA in 2013 when Bolton Wanderers took a punt on the teen by enticing him from fellow Championship club Millwall on a lucrative three-year-deal and a six-figure compensation fee for the club. That the agency that also represents Rio Ferdinand brokered the deal only added to the intrigue.

    The gangly forward, 190cm (6ft 3in) in height, will not countenance having his head turned when it comes to international allegiance. It’s Ireland or nothing for the 20-year-old.

    Cockney accent

    “I wouldn’t play for England, no way,” he affirmed in his Cockney accent.

    “My family would be disappointed in me more than anything else. My mum, Gina Foley, is from Dublin and my family is proper Irish. They’re as proud of my achievement of playing for Ireland since 15 as I am.”

  22. #79
    Banned TheOneWhoKnocks's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ted Bundy of the Wesht
    Posts
    5,246
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    470
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    699
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Why is Matt Hamilton ahead of Sean Maguire in the first place? Maguire has played men's football in Ireland and England over two seasons now and has made a match day squad for a Premier League team.

    You would think young lads would be rewarded when they go out and impress at a proper level.

    Still not up there with Lanre Oyebanjo keeping out several better CB's in terms of strangeness, granted.

  23. #80
    Now with extra sauce! Dodge's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Insomnia
    Posts
    23,528
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    663
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,676
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    You would think young lads would be rewarded when they go out and impress at a proper level.
    Maguire was awful in the LOI. Good luck to him with Accrington but he won't be making too many premier league match day squads in the future
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FAI: Squad Update | Three called-up to Under-21 squad
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22/03/2021, 6:50 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16/11/2020, 4:20 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11/11/2020, 12:00 PM
  4. FAI: Squad Update | Sean Maguire called into squad
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30/08/2020, 9:40 PM
  5. Scotland Squad V Irish Squad
    By NeilMcD in forum Ireland
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03/09/2007, 1:01 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •