Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Under-21 Squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Friendly against Iceland confirmed for Turners Cross on March 31st
    https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/all-...-v-iceland-u21
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Another squad to be excited about and great to see Cannon in there. No senior call up for Festy.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Considering how many centre back and right back options we seem to have in every other squad the Under 21s looks surprisingly light in terms of centre backs and right backs.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    thank god for the first team options in goal .... because outside of keeley (who remains a big unknown) there isnt anything there atm.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    547 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Considering how many centre back and right back options we seem to have in every other squad the Under 21s looks surprisingly light in terms of centre backs and right backs.
    Yep - probably Festy starting at right back. Abankwah and Curtis are probably the next in line.

Centre back probably isn’t as bad - Lawal is listed as a midfielder, possibly due to the lack of centre midfielders but seems to be playing mostly centre half at club level, Roughan can play in the centre or on the left. Ogungbo would be another option in the centre.

Centre mid looks really bare. You’ve got Hodge and Phillips, Lawal who is probably a centre half, Hayes who is an attacker and Matt Healy who I’ve only seen in person once but I’d be surprised if he’s good enough. Jack Henry-Francis is probably someone that could step up. Kian Leavy maybe. The mystery of John Joe Patrick Finn continues.

Meanwhile in terms of attacking players, it’s the opposite - the number of attacking players who didn’t make the cut is huge: Dara Costelloe, Darragh Burns, Mipo Odubeko, Tony Springett, Aido Emakhu. Real depth for those front three slots.

I’d expect Josh Keeley will be the first keeper. Slightly surprised that Arlo Doherty didn’t make the cut considering he was the 19s first choice keeper last season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    burns hasnt played for a while in MK? not too surprised he didnt get in. Finn is playing at a pretty dire level in spain, really hard to judge where hes at if he doesnt get a first team move soon. hasnt registered a lot of game time either this year. Healy has surprised me this year hes done very well for us, big step up though. Corcoran on the other hand isnt related to an international gk, far too small and has no command of his area.
    looking forward to going to the game, been years since ive been to a 21s game in TC.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I think looking at the overall quality of the U21s its not as strong as recent years. There are a few stand out players in Ebosele, Hodge, Moran and Cannon. I think there are a few players in the U19s that would be with the 21s if there wasnt qualifiers at that age group.

Will be very interesting to see if there is any withdrawals. Crawford has had fallouts with Ebosele and Oko-Flex in the past and there have been rumors about Cannon not being fully committed.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Matt Healy injured out of the squad for Iceland. Shels Kian Leavy and St Pat's Jay McGrath are both called up.

Sligos Éanna Clancy (2004) and St Pat's Adam Murphy (2005) were training with the U21s this week.

Joe Hodge has been named captain for the U21s but with a bit of luck he's moved on before the years out.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    https://twitter.com/SportsOrgPM/stat...620886017?s=20

Joe Hodges dad talking about Joe being made U21 captain.

Will be interesting to see where Hodge is by this time next year, very real possibility that he will have moved onto the senior team. Hes overcome a lot of injuries so far in his short career, I wouldnt bet against him forcing his way back into the team at Wolves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I'd say the fact he's been made captain would signal (when considering Kenny's comments, Coventry & Connell's ineligibilty for the 21s) that he'll see out the entire campaign with the 21s
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I'd say the fact he's been made captain would signal (when considering Kenny's comments, Coventry & Connell's ineligibilty for the 21s) that he'll see out the entire campaign with the 21s
    If he is tearing it up for his club he will force Kennys hand. Right now its a simple decision to have him with the 21s because hes not getting club games, but if hes playing well every week he will make himself unleaveoutible (*I couldnt think of the word I wanted so I made up my own)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    https://twitter.com/SportsOrgPM/stat...620886017?s=20

Joe Hodges dad talking about Joe being made U21 captain.

Will be interesting to see where Hodge is by this time next year, very real possibility that he will have moved onto the senior team. Hes overcome a lot of injuries so far in his short career, I wouldnt bet against him forcing his way back into the team at Wolves.
    Neves is in the final year of his contract next season and they'll surely cash in rather than lose him for nothing. Few quid to further strengthen the squad. Joao Gomes who arrived in January could likely be his long term replacement.

Moutinho is out of contract this summer and will be 38. Though wouldn't be surprised if Wolves tried to keep him around as an experienced squad player since he's still starting games at 37.

Think it's gonna be very tough for Hodge to break back into the team as he's currently 6th choice and you'll also have Boubacar Traore back from injury. If Wolves lose both that's a lot of experience to gone and Lopetegui is likely to want replacement(s) brought in.

Regular first team football has done Smallbone the world of good this season and think Lopetegui will likely send Hodge out on loan to see how he fairs playing week in week out. Think the reason he was kept around in January was for Lopetegui to have a good look at him in training.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Neves is in the final year of his contract next season and they'll surely cash in rather than lose him for nothing. Few quid to further strengthen the squad. Joao Gomes who arrived in January could likely be his long term replacement.

Moutinho is out of contract this summer and will be 38. Though wouldn't be surprised if Wolves tried to keep him around as an experienced squad player since he's still starting games at 37.

Think it's gonna be very tough for Hodge to break back into the team as he's currently 6th choice and you'll also have Boubacar Traore back from injury. If Wolves lose both that's a lot of experience to gone and Lopetegui is likely to want replacement(s) brought in.

Regular first team football has done Smallbone the world of good this season and think Lopetegui will likely send Hodge out on loan to see how he fairs playing week in week out. Think the reason he was kept around in January was for Lopetegui to have a good look at him in training.
    Wolves also gave him a new 5 year contract in January too even with all the signings coming in, hes definitely rated highly there.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Wolves also gave him a new 5 year contract in January too even with all the signings coming in, hes definitely rated highly there.
    Oh he's rated there no doubt just see it hard for him to break into the team next season. If Lopetegui didn't rate him I think they would have found him any loan move in January rather than keeping him around the first team squad.

Next season though it's not gonna benefit him to find himself in the same spot and think that's why they'll want to find him somewhere where he'll play week in week out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Agreed, I think he probably will be on loan next season and you are right that Smallbone is showing the benefits of playing every week.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Sam Curtis was called up to the U21s squad last night.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Not just a friendly for these kids, but hardly an Atlantic derby. Most of Iceland's team have been in competitive hibernation since they beat Scotland in november, hard to tell how match fit they are, that might level the playing field a bit
    There are two players of note that should be in the line up, bleach blonde Kristall Ingason and Daniel Djuric.

Are the FAI streaming this game?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    547 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Not just a friendly for these kids, but hardly an Atlantic derby. Most of Iceland's team have been in competitive hibernation since they beat Scotland in november, hard to tell how match fit they are, that might level the playing field a bit
    There are two players of note that should be in the line up, bleach blonde Kristall Ingason and Daniel Djuric.

Are the FAI streaming this game?
    On LOITV

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Team is in. Start for Cannon and good to see Moran and Philips in the starting line up too imo.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    547 Posts
    Could be:

Brooks

Curtis
    McNulty
    Lawal (wearing 8?)
    Roughan

Phillips
    Hodge

Ebosele
    Moran
    O’Neill

Cannon

-

Could also be a back 5 with:

Ebosele
    Curtis
    McNulty
    Roughan
    O’Neill

With a 3 of:

Hodge
    Lawal
    Phillips

And then Moran playing off Canon

I’d definitely prefer the 4 at the back option. I’d probably have Ebosele starting right back and Okoflex on the wing. Maybe Adaramola ahead of Roughan. Maybe Keeley over Brooks. But I don’t think there’s any egregious decisions.

Strange decision to call up Curtis. Kind of giving up on the 19s qualification

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast