Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Collins sacked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    There was a lot of bad blood left over from when Roddy tried to take over down here last time with the club giving one version and roddy giving another in the press (After some of his comments in Derry I think we all know who to believe) so there's no way I can ever see Jim Hanley or anyone at Longford Town FC ever allowing Roddy Collins near this football club and rightfully so.
    I wouldn't be so definite on him not being wanted by everyone at the club. It's come up in conversation quite a few times with some fans about whether they'd take him for a season to get us up, not just since he's been sacked and a lot of people have said they would.

When it comes down to it I don't think it would ever happen but I wouldn't be putting my house on it.

Stranger things have happened in this leauge and he is definitely going to be sniffing around now with Cousins under pressure.
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    You could only play your son if he was substantially better than others available due to the likely backlash. Alex Ferguson was quick enough to off-load his son when there were better options available at Old Trafford.
    Treatment of their sons isn't the only difference between Roddy and Alex Ferguson
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

3. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    Treatment of their sons isn't the only difference between Roddy and Alex Ferguson
    Yeah - Fergie was toolmaker by Trade, Roddy a plasterer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    I wouldn't be so definite on him not being wanted by everyone at the club. It's come up in conversation quite a few times with some fans about whether they'd take him for a season to get us up, not just since he's been sacked and a lot of people have said they would.

When it comes down to it I don't think it would ever happen but I wouldn't be putting my house on it.

Stranger things have happened in this leauge and he is definitely going to be sniffing around now with Cousins under pressure.
    I wouldn't be shoddy's greatest fan, but I'd take him if he got us up. There, I've said it. And I think he would with the squad we have.

The problem with him (and Dolan and their ilk), is boards/ management committee's buying into the hype machine and spending too much. If the board can be strong, I think he'd generate good interest in the team and club.

Now where did work put that handwash gel....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Yes but doe Roddy realise that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,359 Posts
    Spotted on Facebook there today. Fantastic.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152410057844941
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

Derry fans are generally a hard bunch to please, but if we see a team giving effort, trying to play football the right way and a manager who doesnt talk ****e in public then we're always for giving people a fair crack of the whip.

Decky Devine was let go because the crowds were falling away and a rotten run after our European game cost him his job. Pizza may not have a great track record with Harps, but ye cant polish a ****, simple as.

He is currently doing his pro-license, held the position before and steadied the ship. He knows what the fans expect, and will have the respect of the dressing room.

I personally want Kenny Shiels, but Pizza is the next option to at least the end of the season if we cant get Shiels
    I agree the Harps job is a tough one to say the least BUT, ye just sacked a manager who won the 1st Division last season on a smaller budget than Pizza had at Harps in the same division. Only Longford and Waterford had bigger budgets than us unfortunately.

On the other hand, Pizza is well respected around Derry (and rightly so after his playing career) so he will have the players playing again, I'd expect the local lads to get more game time with some of the "outsiders" possibly getting the road. Aaron Barry and Cliff Byrne being the most likely to be kept on of the new signings.

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    I agree the Harps job is a tough one to say the least BUT, ye just sacked a manager who won the 1st Division last season on a smaller budget than Pizza had at Harps in the same division. Only Longford and Waterford had bigger budgets than us unfortunately.

On the other hand, Pizza is well respected around Derry (and rightly so after his playing career) so he will have the players playing again, I'd expect the local lads to get more game time with some of the "outsiders" possibly getting the road. Aaron Barry and Cliff Byrne being the most likely to be kept on of the new signings.
    Barry and Cliff Byrne are really the only 2 who have shown any worth in them being signed. The rest are poor players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I wouldn't be shoddy's greatest fan, but I'd take him if he got us up. There, I've said it. And I think he would with the squad we have.

The problem with him (and Dolan and their ilk), is boards/ management committee's buying into the hype machine and spending too much. If the board can be strong, I think he'd generate good interest in the team and club.

Now where did work put that handwash gel....
    I'm sure he would but I believe most managers should be able to get us up with the squad we have or at least make a better go of it then how things are this season.

Initially I thought i'd take him but I don't think i'd feel comfortable with him in charge.

True about the board but we've seen in the past when he isn't given the backing he expects he loses interest and even if he did get us up,what then?Replace him and start all over again with a new manager?I'd imagine the board would prefer a bit of continuity in that regard.

This being all hypothetical of course!
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Yeah thats what I was wondering - at what level could he play at if he wasnt tainted by the Collins snr, are people going to vilify him cause of his dad. As for Derry fans being hard to please you have described all LoI there. Claiming it would be a disaster not to win the league (as long as he was being serious) in a first season with a bunch of youngsters with a club built on sand well his P45 should have been handed over then and there as there is obnoxious self belief(delusion) and then there is R Collins. The board would have to have been thinking 'what the f*ck have we done'?!

Last year Roddy Collins junior was our weakest player in the first half of the year but improved in the second.

Teams would exploit him down the right. I'm not sure how good he is or would be if his father wasn't manager but I get the feel he is probably just about first division standard but his father gave him a lot of footballer last year and I would say if a lot of young lads his age who junior football level were given the amount of game time he got they would be good enough to make a career

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Older folk will remember Michael Giles, playing for Shamrock R back in the day, when his father was manager at Milltown, I think Nobby Styles's son was also on the books at the time; the manager's nephew,but I never saw him play. So I think people are going overboard with Roddy junior, James McClean even mentioned it. Kenny Dagleish I think gave his son pro contracts at two clubs, this happens often and is hardly the outrage that Derry fans make it out to be.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Older folk will remember Michael Giles, playing for Shamrock R back in the day, when his father was manager at Milltown, I think Nobby Styles's son was also on the books at the time; the manager's nephew,but I never saw him play. So I think people are going overboard with Roddy junior, James McClean even mentioned it. Kenny Dagleish I think gave his son pro contracts at two clubs, this happens often and is hardly the outrage that Derry fans make it out to be.
    I think it's more a case that Roddy Jr has played for his dad at Monaghan, Athlone and Derry City, presumably getting a decent wage at the Brandywell. Fair enough if he rates his son and trusts him to play the way he wants his teams to play, but to the rest of the world it looks like nepotism.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    I was thinking of that example myself and I'm pretty sure Michael Giles ended up going to WBA with his dad as well despite doing very little with Rovers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    But is he right or wrong in the opinions he offers here?

It would be interested to hear from Derry fans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    interesting he didn't mention Cork City among his teams who would be competitive, considering we finished 2nd with asquad made up mostly of players from Cork and Munster.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    interesting he didn't mention Cork City among his teams who would be competitive, considering we finished 2nd with asquad made up mostly of players from Cork and Munster.
    In fairness Cork has a twice the population of Derry and Munster has two top flight clubs. Derry has the Irish league on its doorstep!

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    We had a squad made up mostly of players from Dundalk and Leinster

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    When was that?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Roddy can never just lose or get sacked without "somebody" after him, or basically that the blame never can fall on his shoulders. Regardless of how things are at Derry, as an outsider you go in, shut your mouth, appreciate how things are and change them bit by bit until they've always been that way. Roddy hasn't the emotional intelligence to understand that, which is sad as he had the potential to be a very bright manager, but ego and insecurity killed him.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Not quite the same as Derry or Cork in fairness. We're not Dublin commutable.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast