Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions after Series 1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Opinions will always vary and form will always have a part to play in rating how good or bad sides are. For me after the first series , I think we are possibly the strongest, we are defintely a better side than last season. Also we appear to have adapted to coping without O'Donnell finally. This has seen a huge improvement in players like Mountney who Kenny appears to be favouring to partner Towell in the middle, instead of Higgins (thankfully). Shields in behind has made a big difference as he protects the back four and adds strenght to the MF players in front. The current system used by Kenny is 4-2-3-1 with two wingers and 3 in the centre of MF and just Hoban upfront, this works fine but generally means the striker has to come off with 15 or 20 to go.

I think Pats will challenge all season but not sure about their strenght in depth, Quigley doesn't appear to be in the running anymore, and seems to be a lot of changes to their MF lately, Brennan is a class player but he needs to be playing every week. Has Fahey disrupted things a little I wonder?

Sligo still have a considerable amount of points to make up, and I dont think they have beaten any of the top 4 yet, but they have the quality in their first choice xi to at least have a go at challenging.

Rovers are a decent side, they had a bad result v Limerick on Friday but they could easily make a push to win it, however I just dont believe Croly is the right guy to take them forward.

Cork have done very well, but they have played all the big sides at home bar us, so its going to be a very challenging series 2 for them, they should maintain top 5 and might sneak a shot at Europe. Overall though they have been a huge improvement on last season, so far.

Based on last Friday, I think whoever finishes ahead of Dundalk will win it, it may only be one game to make that opinion, but it was a superb performance against a side who had only conceeded 5 league goals previously. Overall though I'd say we will be better placed than last season and wont be far off winning it, especially if O'Donnell returns at the end of the summer, after it was confirmed he didnt do his cruciate. No date has been given, but there is a chance he may return at some point.
    Last edited by oriel; 06/05/2014 at 3:52 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post

I think Pats will challenge all season but not sure about their strenght in depth, Quigley doesn't appear to be in the running anymore, and seems to be a lot of changes to their MF lately
    They've started the same midfield for the past 4 games...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Well, that's a change

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Ok fair enough, however I still think its odd that Bolger and Brennan are not in the side, did Brennan come on at all v Sligo? I saw Bogler got 2 mins. Are they coming back from any injuries or just not being selected? Possibly both lost out due to recent sendings off.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Ok fair enough, however I still think its odd that Bolger and Brennan are not in the side, did Brennan come on at all v Sligo? I saw Bogler got 2 mins. Are they coming back from any injuries or just not being selected? Possibly both lost out due to recent sendings off.
    Players came in and Pats won 5 in a row. Hard to change a winning team. Bolger got 5 mins or so yeah, Brennan remained on the bench
    ---

6. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Yeah, I wouldn't swap Hoare for Kenna now. Kenna is still the better player but Hoare has massive potential.
    Hoare looks promising alright. Not sure what Pats were thinking having him marking Kilduff from set pieces though. Had Rovers put one decent ball into his path it was a certain goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Hoare looks promising alright. Not sure what Pats were thinking having him marking Kilduff from set pieces though. Had Rovers put one decent ball into his path it was a certain goal.
    Presumably they knew your wingers were cack
    ---

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Fancy Dundalk or Pats. Admittedly have not seen Cork or Sligo in the league but can't see past Pats and Dundalk for the top two.

Think our extensive midfield options will end up being a hinderence in the long run unless we get a few injuries. Too many players of a similar ability which means alot of rotation. Personally can not see Greg Bolger and Killian Brennan being content with sitting on the bench, even if others merit their place ahead of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Opinions after Series 1 compared to last season and pre season views:
    Cork have improved.
    Limerick have dropped back a bit.
    Galway should be in the hunt for promotion.

My interest in the league has dropped a bit with Kerry's gateway to the league shut. Unless you're going out of your way to keep in touch, Liverpool coming over for a friendly is all you might be aware of. LoI rarely gets a mention in every day discussions on football. I'd bring it up alright, and there's I suppose respect for the fact players have come through to the league and gone on to make the international side. The GAA leagues, soccer across the water, champions league, 6 nations, H Cup and Pro 12 dominate sporting discussions. Nothing new I guess and a statement of the obvious.

Highlight of the year so far. I was on work business over a weekend and stopped off at a hotel bar for some grub. Liverpool were on v Man City. Massive roar went up when Liverpool scored. A couple were sitting at the table next to mine. You're man asks was I happy they scored, I was like, just watching the game, can't say I'm bothered. Do you support a team yourself I asked... Shamrock Rovers was his team. The only proper supporter in the pub. Fair play to the man. What it says for being the highlight I dunno but that's what it is.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post

Highlight of the year so far. I was on work business over a weekend and stopped off at a hotel bar for some grub..... Shamrock Rovers was his team. .
    It mustn't have been a nice hotel.
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    It mustn't have been a nice hotel.
    He was a long way from home so it actually was a decent hotel!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12